Anne & Gary’s Virtue Bros. dinette set…and another 1953 alternative from Raymond Loewy

1953 Raymond Loewy Arvin dinette set

vintage retro dinette set1953 Raymond Loewy Arvin dinette set

Anne & Gary have a lovely house in Oregon and updating it in true retro renovator style! They have a blog — now on the blogroll — and did a post on their dinette find recently. I love it! While, the popular chrome-edged ‘diner’ style tables and chairs are really great, there’s also lots of room in our decorating arsenal for the more elegant styled dinettes like Anne & Gary’s “Virtue Brothers” model.

Separately, I’d been on the watch for more dinette alternatives, and found this great 1953 ad for Arvins. This set was designed by Raymond Loewy — one of the most influential industrial designer of the era.

Along with Saarinen tulip tables – it’s great that there are a variety of possibilities for our kitchens and dinettes!

Thanks, Anne & Gary, for sharing! And, I’ll be doing more posts on your house moving forward, as you have a lot of interesting things going on!

Comments

My parents had a set exactly Anne and Gary’s. It was in the kitchen in our 1963 ranch-style house in Memphis, walking distance from Graceland. I ate breakfast at that table before going to school every morning. What memories! Thanks, Anne and Gary, for sharing!

2. Femme1 says

Just some background info: Arvin Industries was located in Columbus, Indiana, about 35 miles from where I live. Now called ArvinMeritor Industries, the company moved to Michigan a few years ago. Too bad I’ve never seen any of these tables so close to where they were produced!

By the way, if you are ever close to southern Indiana, you should tour the town of Columbus. It’s known as an architectural gem; the town benefactor gave the money to have many public and private buildings and sculpture designed by famous mid-century modern architects (I.M. Pei, Eliel Saarinen, Eero Saarinen, Richard Meier, Harry Weese, Robert Venturi, Cesar Pelli, Romaldo Giurgola,
    and Henry Moore). It’s an amazing place.

3. 50sPam says

Wow, Femme 1. Someday…when we have our first Retro Renovation convention… we’ll have it in Columbus, Indiana. Sounds great!

4. Anne & Gary says

Pam, thanks for the post on our dinette set and the link to our blog. The Arvin set in the ad you posted is way cool! It’s fun to see another set with black metal.

Palm Springs Stephan, how fun you recognize our set from your Graceland area youth. You must have had “our” chairs but is the table also the one you remember? We aren’t quite sure the table is from the same set.

5. 50sPam says

Hi Tim, you could send me a photo, and I’ll keep my eye out for information. I know that I have seen them advertised in the 50s. We can start with that and see where it leads….

6. Jordan Erickson says

I have a yellow 50’s dinette set in wonderful condition. I am very eager to sell it! If you or anyone is interested please contact me at jordyerickson@hotmail.com I would really appreciate it. Price is very negotiable- I have no idea what they are worth! 🙂

7. Gerry says

I just found this while looking for information on a Virtue Bros. table and chair set I have, very similar to the one shown, from the mid 1950s. Any idea what it is worth? My wife would like to get rid of it, but it has sentimental value to me, being the one I grew up using, so I would like to find it a good home rather than trashing it.

8. Wayne says

Hello,
    We have an Arvin Dinette set with the pop up center leaf! It has the double chrome legs, but the inserts for the legs are pretty much deteriorated or broken! Anyone know how to make or find replacements?