Mississauga Julia’s 1956 pink, black – and chartreuse? – bathroom

Julia\'s pink bathroom

Crosley cabinet Dana\'s pink bathroomchloe tile by american olean

Mississauga Julia
writes:

I just bought a 1956 house. I am not sure I can live with the original pink and yellow bathroom. Actually I don’t mind the pink but not the yellow with it. Any suggestions? Everything is in very good condition.

Thanks, Julia. Did you know, that I use to live in nearby Oakville, Ontario? Another of my many hometowns. Hmmm. I don’t actually think that your yellow-gold sink, toilet and tub are original. Even if they are, even very-tolerant me is having a rough time with this color combo. I like the pink, though. The tiles look like they are nice quality, well set. I would rip out the sink, toilet and tub (very carefully) and go with — white, probably. (The thumbnail above is Crosley cabinet Dana’s pink bathroom with white fixtures, for a comparison). Maybe with nice black-dot Chloe tile on the floor? And you know I’ll say this: A nice patterned wallpaper.

Malingering on….you could, alternatively, live with this for a while. Hey, is that Chartreuse, not ‘yellow’? Maybe with the right accessories…like this flamingo wallpaper from Hannah’s Treasures, below, it would grow on you? Renovation is expensive – and hard on the marriage if that’s an issue!

Update: I added puddletown‘s barkcloth recommendation – nice!

Readers – what do you think?Julia\'s pink bathroompuddletown\'s barkcloth recommendation

Comments

1. Sumac Sue says

I’m impressed with how well that wallpaper sample and barkcloth sample go with this bathroom. To me, it shows that Julia’s bathroom color combination just might be original after all, strange as that may seem. I would try to add something like that great wallpaper, and live with it awhile.

I just love black trim with the pink tile.

2. Femme1 says

You know, I’ve seen the pink and chartreuse combo in fifties design before, and I think it can work. My fifties dishes that Pam featured– http://retrorenovation.com/2007/12/18/50s-and-60s-everyday-dinnerware-blue-heaven-for-mesalem-biscayne-and-more-for-femme-1/ –are blue and chartreuse with pink. Of course this bathroom has a pretty heavy dose of pink.

Pam’s wallpaper would certainly work better than the pink that you have now. And some chartreuse-y towels and curtains would also pull things together. I’d just hate to see you get rid of those great fixtures! Who else will have a chartreuse tub? You’ll be the envy of your friends!

3. lelsasser says

I have no idea if this combination is original or not, the others certainly know better as I have only recently bought my first 50’s home but the fixtures are lovely and I think there is great and exciting color potential. As is, the fixtures are the focal point against the pink and black tile, but perhaps this is precisely because there isn’t a transition space. Pam’s wallpaper is absolutely perfect! You then introduce blue and have a balance of tints in all 3 primary colors (red, yellow and blue) rationed in unequal proportions (perfect, they need to be) and a black accent in both wallpaper and tiles. In the wall paper the tiny bit of white allows you to decide what to paint your window trim (if you want white) and/or the edges of your medicine cabinet). Additionally what you do with the floor, accessories, as mentioned shower curtain and window trim could make for a very exciting, effervescent and charming bathroom. Lemon yellow is a noble and exuberant color, with pink it would reflect light beautifully, yummy!

Either way lemon yellow or milky white fixtures with the wall paper could be delicious and give you a happy (and elegant) space. Congratulations on your new home!

4. maggie says

I’m sure most of us reading this blog would love to have that pink & black tile (esp. those great black built-in accessory pieces!). And if the fixtures are indeed chartreuse, I think they’re a terrific combination. I have a set of 1956 Brookpark melmac dishes in mixed solids of pink/black/chartreuse, and everyone remarks about what a great combo they are. Just like these , but with chartreuse thrown in the mix.

Go for it, Julia! Be bold!

5. alison says

LOVE the pink!! I am wanting to do a very girly french inspired pink/black bathroom in my guest bedroom. I would definately go with a black tub, sink and toilet!!!

6. Zoe says

Funnily enough, I would ditch the pink, and keep the chartreuse and the black. I think a chartreuse, white (or off-white), and black bathroom would be the bee’s knees 🙂

I would not for a million dollars put in black fixtures. Either swap the fixtures out for white, or keep the fixtures (if they are in good shape), and ditch the tile. Tile is — usually — a whole lot cheaper to replace than a tub, sink, and toilet — unless your’e paying for the labor, too, in which case, it might be a wash.

7. Alice says

Most likely you aren’t loving the chartreuse/mustard fixtures because there is nothing else in the room that speaks to them. My bet would be if you tied it in with wallpaper, stenciled paint – anything that combines the three colors, that it would make more sense to your eye. Love the bathroom and thanks for trying to love the house you are in!

8. mimi says

I don’t know why but the more I see the bath, the more the color combo grows on me. I think I even like it. A lot! Maybe you could live with it for a while, and add that wall paper that was suggested, or play the black a bit more.

9. Peggy Miniard says

Maybe you could have the tub reglazed in white (since its the hardest and most costly to replace) and then just replace the sink and toilet? Its a thought. I like the pink, and I like the green…but the combo is a little tough…

10. Carol says

I would put in the chloe black and white tile and the flamingo wallpaper. The white in the floor and wallpaper will brighten the room and leave the pink chartreuse and black to stand alone. The wallpaper is perfect!!!! It will look like a designer bathroom that was meant to have chartreuse fixtures.