Vintage Sears Harmony House vintage kitchen retractable pull down light – unbelievable

Wowza. I was away all last week and missed this vintage retractable kitchen light fixture – which came, then went, for $85 – a steal. I hope that a retro renovation reader snapped it up, as it might be the single most fabulous kitchen light that I have ever seen. From Sears Harmony House. I just keep repeating: It was not meant to be…It was not meant to be…Daggonit.

Note dear readers: I am told these are no longer to code: Consult with your own properly licensed professional to assess your situation so you can make informed decisions how to handle. In this vein, if you have questions about where to find parts — please get with a properly licensed professional.

Comments

1. Ed T. says

Holy cow!! I remember this light (or one VERY similar) from a house we rented down in Ocean City, NJ back in the early 70s. I remember being fascinated by (and getting in trouble for) pulling it down and up. And the colors were so pretty…

BTW, great blog. Just found it and am (probably) going to spend the next few hours exploring it. 🙂

Just wish you’d include a link to the completed auctions you mention. 🙁

Hi Ed T. – and welcome!! The reason I don’t put in the ebay links – is that it takes SO MUCH time, and also, “outbound links” damage my google rating making it harder for people like you to find the site! I will also say, that I tend to load the ebay up a few days in advance, and sometime by the time it’s up a listing has expired, oopsy.

3. kavan says

found this really cool , i wanna call it a dresser by harmony house just trying to figure out how old it really is and whether or not the paint is original because it some sort of wierd turquoise color

4. C. Hart says

Interesting, i love sears and what they did for american history. I have two lantern style pull down fixtures from my grandps’s house. Been trying to get info on their value. Any suggestions.

I don’t do valuations, C. Note, be sure to consult with a licensed professional regarding the wiring in your vintage lights.

5. Mike Floyd says

I bought a house that has three of these pull down retractable lights. Do you know anyone that handles parts for these lights? This one had no light fixture, only the ceiling base with the cord to the retracting bulb or whatever it’s called. This house was built in 1945 and we are trying to restore it to that era. The retracting mechanism has ERCO Universal made in West Germany, stamped on it on one side and NORD NEW YORK, Inc stamped on other side. Needs replaced. Help please!

Mike, I don’t have the answer to this one. Please note: It is my understanding that these pulldown lights are no longer to code. On these, I advise: Consult with a licensed professional to ensure that you are doing the safe thing.

Hello, I’m in the process of restoring a old lamp I came across while rummaging through my mother’s stock pile of oddities. The light fixture in question is of a ‘Harmony House’ mfg., with the designation of CTRIC fixture issue, mdl# C-13,469. It has a copper finish, and has a place for a glass visor in the shape of an old oil lamp visor . It also pulls down and up at different lengths. I tried to access any information the web had on it but to no avail? Perhaps you can help me, I hope. Thank You

Hi Patrick, I have been told that the pull-down is no longer to code. My advice: Consult with a properly licensed professional. Good luck.

7. Joe Bush says

Also looking for replacement parts, specifically the woven retractable cord. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Joe, we are told retracting is no longer to code. Please consult with a properly licensed professional on this issue.