Vintage Sears Harmony House vintage kitchen retractable pull down light – unbelievable

Wowza. I was away all last week and missed this vintage retractable kitchen light fixture – which came, then went, for $85 – a steal. I hope that a retro renovation reader snapped it up, as it might be the single most fabulous kitchen light that I have ever seen. From Sears Harmony House. I just keep repeating: It was not meant to be…It was not meant to be…Daggonit.

Comments

1. Ed T. says

Holy cow!! I remember this light (or one VERY similar) from a house we rented down in Ocean City, NJ back in the early 70s. I remember being fascinated by (and getting in trouble for) pulling it down and up. And the colors were so pretty…

BTW, great blog. Just found it and am (probably) going to spend the next few hours exploring it. :-)

Just wish you’d include a link to the completed auctions you mention. :-(

Hi Ed T. – and welcome!! The reason I don’t put in the ebay links – is that it takes SO MUCH time, and also, “outbound links” damage my google rating making it harder for people like you to find the site! I will also say, that I tend to load the ebay up a few days in advance, and sometime by the time it’s up a listing has expired, oopsy.

3. kavan says

found this really cool , i wanna call it a dresser by harmony house just trying to figure out how old it really is and whether or not the paint is original because it some sort of wierd turquoise color

4. C. Hart says

Interesting, i love sears and what they did for american history. I have two lantern style pull down fixtures from my grandps’s house. Been trying to get info on their value. Any suggestions.

I don’t do valuations, C. Note, be sure to consult with a licensed professional regarding the wiring in your vintage lights.

5. Mike Floyd says

I bought a house that has three of these pull down retractable lights. Do you know anyone that handles parts for these lights? This one had no light fixture, only the ceiling base with the cord to the retracting bulb or whatever it’s called. This house was built in 1945 and we are trying to restore it to that era. The retracting mechanism has ERCO Universal made in West Germany, stamped on it on one side and NORD NEW YORK, Inc stamped on other side. Needs replaced. Help please!

Mike, I don’t have the answer to this one. Please note: It is my understanding that these pulldown lights are no longer to code. On these, I advise: Consult with a licensed professional to ensure that you are doing the safe thing.

• Scott says

Hello, Do you still have the lamp that needs parts? I am looking for the stuff you have and wanted to use the “Bulb” to incorporate into a different fixture.

Thanks

Scott

Hello, I’m in the process of restoring a old lamp I came across while rummaging through my mother’s stock pile of oddities. The light fixture in question is of a ‘Harmony House’ mfg., with the designation of CTRIC fixture issue, mdl# C-13,469. It has a copper finish, and has a place for a glass visor in the shape of an old oil lamp visor . It also pulls down and up at different lengths. I tried to access any information the web had on it but to no avail? Perhaps you can help me, I hope. Thank You

Hi Patrick, I have been told that the pull-down is no longer to code. My advice: Consult with a properly licensed professional. Good luck.

7. Joe Bush says

Also looking for replacement parts, specifically the woven retractable cord. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Joe, we are told retracting is no longer to code. Please consult with a properly licensed professional on this issue.

• Joe Bush says

Thanks Pam,

I could not find any mention of retractable lights which exist no longer being to code. They certainly are not widely for sale.

However I did find the site below which sells the light parts including dozens of choices for flexible woven electrical cord used in lighting such as pendant lighting.

We may simply convert the white with frosted glass UFO style 1960’s lamp to a stationary pendant style with new cord. I have had the parts re-plated and laquered once. These lamps have reached the age where they are way way out there in design, out of place by today’s standards. But anyone who remembers, that is how the 1960’s were.

Joe Bush