Retro Malm fireplaces

You have to admit that these retro fireplaces — all still made by Malm and for sale brand-new today — are sexy as can be. I’ve shown some once before, but with winter ahead – it’s time to adjust the thermostat.

These fireplaces are all so very ski bunny… you need a Flokati rug and Irish Coffee and you’re all set. I want I want I want. But I think I also need a cozy A-frame to put them in. Or…perhaps this is another reason to finish the attic, which needs its own heat source?!

If you are on a budget, you can hunt for used fireplaces like these by searching both “Preway” and “Malm” on c*list.  There seem to be a fair number of Preway’s out there. Orange was the hot color…and they seem to  go for about $150-$250.

The thing about the new Malm’s, though, is that they are…well, new. You have a much greater selection of shapes and many more colors to choose from. In addition, you can get them with gas logs – which is very convenient for creating mood – and warmth – instantly.

I love many of the current Malm models – up through the 70s and 80s styles, too.

They make such an architectural statement. But because of this, I do tend to see them in a room with pared down detailing. Set the fireplace in a useful, focal area, on nice tiles, and let the fireplace be the attention-grabber.

Here’s the link to Malm – happy shopping!

Comments

1. chriss says

I love these type of fireplaces. Nothing represents “mid-century modern” as much as these do to me. I (being the “collector” that I am) currently have four vintage units like these. My two nicest ones are both made by Majestic, one of which is in near mint (unused) condition. I also have a real cheap flimsy electric only version and an outside/patio one that looks a lot like Darth Vader or more obscurely Maximillion from The Black Hole. These things go for big bucks at our local “Retro” shop.

2. Carolina Quezada says

well we were wondering if it is possible to buy a fireplace from the above? What is the process to buy one? Where can I buy one?

• oldgun31 says

i got one the same way .i spent $40 with out the pipe. i bought red high heat paint from eastwood for $50 and a heat pipe for $10 at habitat .
      i want to get the gel fireplace insert so i don’t need to put a hole in my roof.i see them on ebay for $80.

3. carole matthews says

Been looking for one of these cne firplaces about 3 yrs Need a deal as am not filthy rich. Would go on my back ski style porch Where can I get one? Tried bidding on e bay but they wont ship to Fla Someones gotta ship we are still in United States re cone fireplaces thanks 8-4-2013

4. nancy says

Always wondered: do these get hot to the touch? They must, and I can’t imagine kids and these fireplaces go together very well. Has someone actually used these who can speak to this issue? (My sister fell into one of those metal lamps as a kid and had terrible burns.)

• Karen says

Hi, Nancy. I have a 1970s Malm on my porch. It was here when I bought my house. I love this wood-burning fireplace; it is extremely efficient in heating up up my little space. But yes, the hood does get hot to the touch, so it would certainly be a consideration if you have kids in the house.

Regards, Karen

5. tina b says

I am in the process of buying a 60′s ranch style home in need of some TLC but am happy to her come back to as well. I noticed there is a fireplace in the garage area that has been enclosed to make a room. I recognize it as being a Malm fireplace. I hope that it is still functional.as I am a RETRO GIRL by heart! Orange or red would be my preferred colors,, it is also a dark paneled room. Should I leave the dark paneling or lighten it up? Also, what are the retro colors for carpeting…I am thinking shades of green, blue or pink? I have navy blue leather furniture. Anyway to ck for carpet ideas? I need them asap as I am laying carpet as well. Oh yeah,almost forgot the master bedroom is pink, the 2nd is yellow and the 3rd is blue. Any ideas for paint or should I update a little and use one color thru out? Looking for ideas. LOOOVE this website!!!