These illustrations from the National Plan Service, Inc., copyright 1950, courtesy Indiana Coal & Lumber company are idealistic – picture perfect – to be sure. Even so, they all include great little ideas to scrutinize and consider replicating in our own little jewel box 40s 50s and 60s ranches, colonials, capes, splits and contemporaries.
Some tips from this model:
- Color scheme – I personally am a huge fan of gold as a paint color for ranch homes.
- Cupola – a great great addition to a postwar ranch, cape or colonial
- Lots of cool ironwork – connected to lighting
- Note the mix of horizontal and vertical wood, stone, and fretwork above the picture window
- The glass block wondow near the little pine tree, and the window on the green mudroom door are delightful
- Ooooh, and look at the planter with horizontal, minimalistic trellis.