5 tips to decorate a vintage peach and salmon bathroom – Mandi’s Florida charmer

mandis-bathroom-225.jpg

How should Mandi decorate her 1956 bathroom with its peach and salmon tile? She has asked for our ideas. Wow, this is a wonderful color that we don’t see it all that often. To get started – you know what I will recommend: some vintage wallpaper – and there are some beautiful choices available. Mandi also shows us some photos of her vintage kitchen, which is in great shape. And very Florida: Terrazzo floors — in the living room and bathroom. Wow!

mandis-kitchen-225.jpgMandi writes:

We live in St. Petersburg, Florida in a 1956 2/1/1 mid-century bungalow with beautiful cove ceilings and original terrazzo floors. We are still in the process of decorating and rehabing the house, but were really lucky to find it in such good condition. Everything in the house is as original as the day it was built (except for the kitchen appliances and toilet/sink unfortunately) and we plan to keep it that way. We just love your website and really appreciate all of the work you do keeping it updated!

Here are some pictures of my pink/mauve bathroom. As you can see, we are in desperate need of storage space! My husband and I are considering replacing the pedestal sink (since it isn’t original anyway) with a vanity with cabinets for extra storage. What kind of medicine cabinet should we get that makes a statement yet is still functional w/ storage space? I want to hang shelves on the wall above the toilet as well for, you guessed it, more storage! I have ideas, but need a cohesive vision to put it all together. I’m also looking for an accent color to complement the pink. Don’t you love the peachy-pink tub?!?!

mandisI’m also including a couple of pictures of my kitchen. We gave the walls and cabinet a fresh coat of paint and they look awesome! We were able to clean up and reuse the original chrome hardware as well–I was the most excited about that! There is also a picture of an awesome 1950’s coffee set that my grandmother found at an auction and sent to me. Isn’t it so cool??!

Attached is a photo of our living room before we moved in. You can see the terrazzo floor here and its the same throughout the entire house. This picture was taken the night we refinished them (as you can tell by the tired look on my husband’s face!). You can also see our beautiful cove ceilings in the living room! I can also send you a picture of the floor in the bathroom; its the same floor but looks like a slightly different color with the pink reflection from the bathroom tile.

Yes, the mirror cabinet in the bathroom is original and it does have sliding doors with storage. I haven’t been able to really clean it up well–is there a product you recommend to bring the shine back to the chrome around the glass?

Thanks!!

Mandi

Some suggestions:

hannahs-11mindys-bathroom-zenith-wallpaper-from-bradbury.jpg

mandis-bathroom-2.jpgflamingo-bay-seaside-collection-thibaut

• You know I always will recommend wallpaper. Here are three ideas to get you started. Depending on the look you want: (1) vintage sweetness from Hannah’s Treasures… (2) deco flair from Bradbury.com or (3) luxuriant flamingos from Thibaut.

american-standard-1959-sink

• I’d agree: A vanity could go in quite nicely – and you have the space. Alternatively: Why don’t you look for one of these 1959 American Standard sinks – which also originally came on a vanity on high legs, or on chrome legs – here it is in a room view, in green. They are around – I found the sink above at a Re-Store, and scathing jane recently spotted the vanity on craigslist. The thing with small bathrooms like this, Mandi, is that they always look better with legs (not fullscale vanities) — if you can get in control of your storage issues.
  • How about a pleated shade for your window?
  • And for other storage ideas – be sure to see this post.
  • And as for the chrome on your medicine cabinet – readers, help!
  • Readers: What else!?

Mandi, what a great job you and your (very hard-working, hunky) husband are doing! Your house certainly found the right owners!

Comments

1. John says

I have found Noxon 7 metal polish works excellent to clean and shine old chrome and it puts a protective coating on it as well while cleaning. It comes in a green plastic bottle. I use it on all my chrome in my 50’s kitchen and furniture with metal leg caps..
    John

2. Femme1 says

I love those colors in the bathroom! They look very Florida to me, and so I love the idea of the flamingo wallpaper. And having a bit of white in the wallpaper will tie in the white fixtures, too.

p.s. I’d kill for those floors.

3. Jeanne says

My vote goes to the flamingo wallpaper! I love Florida and I love flamingos! And I love your terrazo floors, too. I’m jealous. :-)

My parents and brother both live in St. Pete. My brother recently moved into a home that was gutted and re-done, but they left the original terrazo floors throughout and refinished them. They look beautiful! I’d never seen terrazo before and it looks like a very durable flooring.

I also just ordered a sample of the same cabinet hardware you have on your kitchen cabinets. Your kitchen looks like it’s in fantastic shape.

Do the flamingo wallpaper and post pictures here.

4. Femme1 says

Oh, yes…another thing. I’m a 50s dinnerware collector and I’ve never seen that pattern that your grandmother bought for you. There were a lot of companies that made patterns that were similar to Franciscan Starburst, and this also resembles Starburst. However, it’s not one of the ones that are known.

Could you check the bottom and see if there is a manufacturer or mark? I’m just curious.

• Ima Pam says

I just came across this old thread and have a set of this china-It is Zeh Scherzer .(Bavaria). Don’t remember the pattern name. There is a version in greenish ivory with gold trim and one in white with platinum trim.

I was so excited to see how that Thibaut flamingo wallpaper looked in that bathroom and yes, the Florida connection – well…a no-brainer, really. I hope Mandi likes it, I’m certainly rooting for it, too! Now on my list: Research and complete post JUST on available flamingo wallpapers. Readers, send me your finds! new email to use: retrorenovation at gmail dot com

6. sumacsue says

Pam, you are an expert at finding a wallpaper to match any tile color. The flamingo paper is my pick too, even if it didn’t have any flamingoes in it, because I like its light, airy look. And, it appears that their could be a touch of turquoise or a baby blue in it, which would look pretty with the salmon and peach.

7. Whitney says

Oh! My master bath in my 1957 house has that EXACT same tile combo!! Don’t you love it? And my kitchen is the same color combo too…..in fact, I thought it WAS a picture of my kitchen! I have yellow counters, white cabinets, and even that same scalloped trim above the sink. Too funny! Oh, and I love the flamingo wallpaper. I might even steal that idea for my bathroom.

8. Anita says

I love the flamingos but also love the deco wallpaper. I’d get the wallpaper then pull an accent color out of it. If you go with the deco style wallpaper then I’d do an internet search of art-deco medicine cabinets – I did this about 6 months ago and found some really cool ones on ebay, very distinctive. And then I’d round up the whole thing with some nice white towels with the stripes at the bottom edge, and/or monograms. Fun!

9. jenny says

I live in TN and BOTH my bathrooms have that same tile! Any other suggestions, those three don’t quite appeal to me…

Thanks

10. Lane_in_PA says

Terrazzo floors, oh, how cool. Hubby’s parents’ house had terrazzo, I loved visiting them in Florida and feeling the coolness on my bare feet when the outside temps were approaching 100 degrees. Ahhhhh.

Terrazzo is indestructable. Long live Terrazzo. :)

Hi Pam,

Thought you might like to know that the Great 50s Kitchen Renovation Project in West London is finally under way for real, with the old kitchen having been ripped out and the English Rose Kitchen units despatched to a body shop for painting.

Best,

The Scribe

12. Mandi H. says

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions! I do really like the idea of the flamingo wallpaper…I’m just scared of hanging it! Is it really hard to do?

Thanks for all the compliments on the terrazzo–it really is a beautiful and durable floor–we are very fortunate to still have it!!

• Lori Harris says

Hi, Mandi,

I know it’s been a couple of years since you posted your bathroom dilemma, but I just found your post today.
      I have the same bathtub you do. I know it’s Briggs, but I have no idea what the official color is. Do you happen to have the color name? If so, what is it?
      Thanks for your help.

13. Brenda L. says

Mandi & Bill,
    I loved seeing your kitchen, bath, living room and floor pictures on the web. You two have done such a great job with the renovation of your home. I’m glad you like the flamingo wallpaper, it looks perfect. Be sure and post the pics when your done with the bathroom.
    I love you two!!
    Love,
    Mom

14. Susan Pinto says

I was so happy to find this picture. We are in the process of updating our bathroom – designed around our peach/salmon color tile. Unfortunately, the contractor has destroyed some of the tile on one wall and we are unsure how to proceed. Does anyone have any ideas about where I might get the 41/4 peach tiles as well as bullnose pieces?

Thanks, Susan

15. Kimmers says

I am excited to see your remodel pictures! In our new bathroom we have pink & mauve tile around the peach bathtub, all peach toilet and double sinks. I have been perplexed as to how I would pull those 3 colors together (they don’t seem to “go” as is) but that flamingo wallpaper would be awesome. It gives me much needed inspiration! Good luck!

16. Special Ed says

I have a salmon colored tub and need to touch up a couple of chips is the any paint that I can get. Thanks Ed

17. Marcia in Chicago says

I have a similar bathroom – same peach tile – in my ’39-er and could not agree more that a vanity is not the way to go unless it’s in place and was custom built with the house. For storage (badly needed in my bathroom, too), I had a large cabinet (perimeter of 34″ high by 30″ wide) built (recessed) into the wall. The dimensions were designed around cabinet doors (with lites) that I found in a vintage parts place so I started with the doors. I now have four 5″ deep shelves, each almost 30″ wide, that I did not have before. The cabinet looks like it was always there. Do consider a recessed cabinet. Something sitting on the wall looks like an expedient add-on, imho.