Vintage stoves to love: 1957 Philco Citation range

1957-philco-citation.jpg1957-philco-ad-complete.jpgVintage stoves were my first true love, so it’s ironic that it’s taken me this long to launch coverage of them. We’re off! Everyone seems to love Bewitched’s Samantha Stephens and her Frigidaire Flair. So I think I’ll start with some quirky pretenders to that famous model. How about this 1957 Philco Citation? Interestingly, in stainless steel, which I don’t see all that much featured in advertising. Note also – laminate cabinets, and stainless steel edging on the countertops just like we still get today at New York Metals!

Below: The refrigerator that went with this lineup in ’57. Looks like you could cover it with any laminate you like. Hmmm. I think today that this use-a-laminate-panel also should work with a number of dishwashers and a refrigerator like the Sub-Zero. In particular, with so many people wanting to blend their modern-day dishwasher into a retro style kitchen, I think this might be a brilliant question to delve into further. Stay tuned.

57-philco-citation-closeup.jpg

Comments

1. RetroRuth says

Love that oven! Hmm…I think my next project is clear. I have to get some of that stainless steel edging. I think I saw a post about it somewhere on here…

2. sablemable says

My late mother-in-law had a Tappan gas range (burner with a brain) and kept it immaculate. Unfortunately, when she died, her oldest son sent it to the trash heap. If I had known that, I would have taken it. Still worked great, no scratches or dents.

3. Tonya says

OK…just got home from Thanksgiving at grandmas and found out that she would pay WAY MORE than what she originally paid for the one she has now if she could just find a replacement of this exact model…yes, she has one in her home and it STILL WORKS!! Anyhow. I need some advice or connections to find out how I can either help her restore her range to BRAND NEW CONDITION or get a replacement range in better condition. ANY help would be appreciated. Thanks for posting this.

T

One thing I love about looking through old advertisements for kitchen appliances is how everything could be color coordinated. Nowadays you basically have 4 choices for appliance colors: white, beige, black, and stainless steel. Washer and dryers are beginning to appeal to color-lovers like me, but I look forward to the day when the rest of the appliance world follows suit.

5. atomicbowler-dave says

Personally, I am afraid that I would turn with that drawer-oven open and unthinkingly burn myself silly. Yes, I AM prone to a few wierd phobias! 🙂
    That much said-the tradesman in the illustration changing the face panel of the ‘fridge? I WANT his trousers, every pair he ever owned! Seriously, I wear either Carhartt Brown or Olive for work, depending on the day (uh-huh, I color-coordinate my work clothes, footwear and hats too!)…and as I age and expand find it really upsetting that no one makes high-wasited work trousers at all. The bib overalls sold in place make us look like big-bellied hilbilly santas in khaki brown, for goodness’ sake!
    It would seem that in the atomic age, the hanging gut, untucking shirt and plumber-butt must have been frowned upon given the waist height of many kinds of trou I see in pictures! Have we merely lost all sense of modesty or appearance value, or have the clothing makers conspired to make us all look like unsightly schlubs in order to save 2″ of yardage per pantwaist and 1-1/2″ per shirttail? When did it become culturally acceptable for the lady of the house to be treqated to a view of the carpenter’s jockey shorts?
    Perhaps we can blame this phenomenon on the same overall disregard/disinterest we see in modern times for style and cleanliness of appearance. It used to be that people expected a sharp look or a crisp appearance, now they are satisfied with ‘presentable’ or ‘adequate’? I mean not just the appearance of the caulk bead but the appearance of the man who just executed it. Same goes for store parking lots and sidewalks! Why do we not care if things are sharp, clean and smart anymore? Perhaps the consumer of the atomic age was accustomed to the idea of clean, crisp, orderly things as positive and desireable more than the modern consumer owing to the impact of the second world war upon society?
    Are there any amateur historians of clothing style out there to explain this?
    While I realize that this thread really deals with an appliance, someone installs the appliances, right? And the lady of the house…knows what kind of jockey he buys. It’s just not right!
    Dave

6. Paul says

We continued to cook with our original Philco Citation up until recently, but it needs serious restoration and/or repair. Does anyone know of a place that has actual experience with this particular job?

Paul, see our categories Kitchen Help/Appliances and/or FAQs/Appliances for tips on resources that might be able to help.