Should this avocado bathroom be saved?

avacado-bathroom-01_rect540

Reader Jennifer spotted this avocado bathroom over on Apartment Therapy. The reader is asking what she should do with it. I sense…revulsion. What do you think, Retro Renovation readers? Should this avocado bathroom be saved? Leave your comment here – or over on the post at Apartment Therapy. P.S. I bet you know what I think!

Comments

1. Lane in PA says

Well, first they should make that bathroom level! How on earth will the water stay in the tub? ;)

Seriously, I find that color green to be very soothing. I like the idea of soft yellow, but I was also wondering how certain colors of blue might work. May have to copy the photo and go photoshopping.

2. Femme1 says

Egad, I just read some of the comments on the Apartment Therapy page. What are these people thinking??! (OK, Deb, calm down. Take a deep breath.)

Because I tend to like the 60s look rather than the 70s, and you DO see a lot of avocado even in 60s fabrics, I’d go with something like this for the shower curtain:

or maybe this:

And using such a fabric as a guide, accessorize accordingly.
    By the way, you should check out Contemporary Cloth (online fabric store); they have great stuff.

3. Elvis aka Jane says

What an inspiring canvas!
    Yes, ditch the 80’s post-formed laminate vanity top and the floor vinyl, but KEEP the beautiful avocado fixtures (and probably the tile tub surround.) I would like to see some marmoleum on the floor or maybe tile to match a new tiled vanity. I think an avocado and white color combination would be simple, classic and conservatively appealing, even to people who suffer from rip-it-out-itis.

4. Elvis aka Jane says

5. Terri says

We have an avocado/off light yellow bathroom circa 1968. (2nd owners of our 1948 ranch) We moved in 10 years ago and I had to “work with” the color…it’s an amazing tile over tile job that includes a glass block window. I digress. It was a very difficult color to work with in 1998. I used purple accents with the color and it is really fun. The plaster wall was painted a light avocado and I stenciled purple swirlies…added a framed post card from the Carribean, purple towels/rug and a white cotton shower curtain.
    I would get rid of the wooden grain seat cover.

It’s not in the best of shape, so in the next few years, I’ll like to put it back to it’s original 1948 colors. I would LOVE to know what color tile lies underneath!

6. Pam K. says

Judi aka Sumac Sue – to your point, take a look at this post on my homepage – the barkcloth in the photo right below would go great with! The colors are almost spot on your suggestion.

7. Sumac Sue says

If the owners could see the way these colored toilets, tubs and sinks fly out of the ReStore, they would hold on to them! The bathroom looks in really good shape — no cracked or missing tiles, for instance — so it seems a shame to rip it out. The flooring looks dated, but not in bad shape. A rug could be an expensive and temporary fix if money is a big issue.

Personally, I like the green, and think it would be fun deciding what colors to bring in. I’ve got it — that green reminds me of a rainbow trout’s back, and if you combine it with the soft silver grays and pinky purples of the trout’s sides, along with a few small black accessories, like the trout’s spots, you would have a great combination. (Hey, nature provides us with great color combinations, just go look!)

8. Jita says

Ooooo I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!
    I say change the floors and the counter (looks speckled) but please oh please save that gorgeous tub and toilet.
    I would so pay for those.

9. MidCent Keith says

The green color is actually current again – as are many 70’s colors, and the tile is neutral enough to allow color and style to be brought in with a new ceramic tile floor (appropriate to the period – no 12 inch square tiles), bright colorful towels and shower curtain, and paint or wallpaper. If the sink/vanity is a cheap replacement, put your money into installing one of quality and character. The nice thing about these changes, is that they can be done over time, while keeping the room in working order.

10. Catz says

I agree – soft yellow paint would be lovely. Maybe an ivory shower curtain with some yellow and green accents. I’d choose a strong white to offset the avocado, if they really hate it. If it was my bathroom, I’d be putting down a few orange throw rugs, mirrored tiles and really do it up. I think a few nature pictures would be really pretty – give it a forest feel and work with the avocado. Definitely, the flooring has to go. They also should look at old 70s bathroom photos. I’m sure they could find a few more in the “conservative” vein, if that’s how they’d like to go.

11. Missouri Michael says

I think that they will be kicking themselves in a few years if they remove it. It just hasn’t come into it’s time of being attractive again like bathrooms from the 50s. I personally would replace the flooring and add some soft yellow paint to the walls and some orange or brown accents. Might as well play up the colors of the era!

12. atomic city mom says

Yes please – SAVE IT FOR ME!! I need it for my 50s era home! I’ll be dreaming tonight about soaking in that lovely avocado bathtub!

13. Jean says

Hang on to these as the color is really great and quite workable. There is so much to be added that will complement these items. It just will take some searching about on this site and on your own, but it will gel if given a little time!

14. NorthsideCj says

Well from the picture I’d say the tub and toilet should indeed be saved, not sure about the rest. Needs a chrome handle on the toilet tank, obviously the early 90’s flooring needs to go, along with the toilet seat. The yellow tiles could stay or go, depends on what direction they want to take it. Would make for a very nice bathroom if done up properly. They could even go for period and put some wallpaper with bright orange on the walls, and a dark brown wooden seat and vanity. Or do it up more modern and use a light brown paint.

15. Elvis (aka) Jane says

“Elvis aka Jane 03.04.09 at 12:32 am

I’d say SAVE it and try to procure some retro details. It would be cool to find a matching sink with legs and nice tile.”

I don’t know whose post this is, but it’s not mine: Sorry to the person who actually posted it – the site seems to have hiccuped.

• Pam Kueber says

Ooopsy Elvis. The site did hiccup – we moved to a new server – and I had to cut and paste comments over. Guess I attributed this one incorrectly. Let me know if you want me to delete it or just leave it there as a token to the retro decorating gods (who will be angered if we are perfect) :)

16. Jo says

I too like the avocado color. For the next 2 weeks we have a half bath that is avocado. We are remodeling into a full bath later this month. Does anyone know where my avocado toilet, sink and accessories could find a good home?

17. retroppo says

Definetly save!!!!!! I can see that wonderful “bamboo” type wallpaper, & then you could take on a real tiki feel. I think some sort of shade of red, maybe maroon as an accent colour. Whites & beiges are the way to go. But please ditch that wooden toilet seat, it is so ugly x

18. Missouri Michael says

I think that some rusty red towels/accents would look good as well. (In addition to my comment above)

I run a company in the UK that specialises in Avocado bathrooms (and about 100 other colours), and it’s great to see there’s some interest in them on the other side of the Pond! We’re currently supplying Britain with all manner of retro bathroom ware for replacement and even new installations, from toilet seats to complete bathroom suites, so long may the Avocado bathroom live I say! Brokenbog.com is our website (just to clarify, “bog” = “john” over here!) so if anyone’s got any requirements in the way of old coloured bathroom ware get in touch – so far we’ve sent cistern fittings to New York and Montreal, but we’re still waiting for our first transatlantic toilet sale! Sorry for shameless plug….

20. steph says

l have the same bathroom…….same tiles and all. I got a new white toilet, painted the wall a butter yellow and put leopard accents all over it and brown rug and shower curtain and kept it shower curtain closed when not used. I have a up to date home because we remodel for a living and I have had many compliments on how I kept the older look but made it contemporary.

21. Brian Wright says

I love it!, Avacado (or as its now known ‘Wild Sage’) is returning fast. I have a full WS bathroom and its so cool compared to the utility white we are all supposed to love. Forget the old arrangements mix WS with gold and champaign and behold the luxury. However, its now very rare and highly collectable so I hope you still have that classic suite?

22. karen says

I have a camper that has the lime/avacodo color cabinets I need to find a dark color that goes with them for the cushion covers and please no flower patterns as we are going to use these curtains that have a black background and small chili pepper pattern any ideas please

23. Diane says

ANOTHER QUESTION!!! I just bought a 1972 home. It has a white tub and toilet, thank God! But it has the really small, square, white and avacado floor tiles, and the large square avacado tub surround tiles. I’m looking for some nice accent colors, but soft yellow just isn’t doing it for me. What do you think of a burgundy or peach? Photo’s would be great! Where can I go to see some ideas? Please help!

Diane, I am all about wallpaper. How about looking at some of the mid-mod designs at bradbury.com. Also be careful about saying “thank god” when you say you have white tub and toilet… You are in the land of pastel bathroom fixture lovers here. :)

24. Helen says

Avocado and Wild sage are two entirely different colours I have a wild sage bathroom which is sort of blue green and avocado is a yellow green. Sorry to correct you but thats the case. i am trying to find tiles for my wild sage as I have some that are cracked. Any Help around??

25. Polly says

I am looking for an avacodo toilet. Just purchased an older home and need to replace the toilet to match the cute tub.

thanks

Polly

26. tracy says

I have an avocado sink,toliet and tub. I found some fantastic granite
    called rainforest that goes great in the bathroom. The bathroom looks great.