Antiques in the Berkshires – midcentury treasure hunt

vintage-ge-avocado-kitchen-stove-and-refrigerator

If you are looking for antiques in the Berkshires… and want to find some great midcentury stuff… be sure to stop at Berkshire County Used Furniture on 4th Street in Pittsfield. My friend Ron — who helped me get the kitchen cabinets out of Gotham — runs this treasure trove. Ron empties out houses ’round the clock, it seems. He takes everything — so you never know what you will find at his store. I swear, if I were doing another kitchen, I would for sure buy up these avocado green GE appliances — they were in fantastic shape.  Read on for 13 photos in all… including an 40s  Kenmore washing machine… and a Witco tiki throne.

Click the photos twice to get to their largest size.

Comments

1. St. Christopher says

Oooo…If I lived anywhere near there, I be in there every week! I’m looking for a set of 50’s washer and dryer in just about any color but white! This looks like the kinda place I just love. I bet they’re reasonably priced too! There’s probably some place like that here in St. Louis Mo. that I just haven’t found yet.

Chris.

Yup, St. Christopher. Ron’s stuff is priced great. His goal is to keep it moving. I know that quite a few people come up from Hudson, NY ($$$$$ mcm shopping there) to pick from his stock.

2. Kristin says

Look around for salvage stores and auctions, St. Christopher. Also, drive south into the smaller towns around the Ozarks if you ever get a chance! Tons of stuff around there for some odd reason…

3. Cindy says

I grew up with avocado green appliances……….and I want them! Too bad my kitchen is done, too. But Pam, I’m going to call you to schedule a Pittsfield recon trip! I’m looking for abstract mid century artwork.

Oooh, I LOVE that Kenmore washing machine….do you remember how expensive it was? My husband would freak out if I brought one home too, but I may just do it one day!

5. Femme1 says

Um…can I pipe up here and say that I actually USED a wringer washer when I was younger (much) and had kids in diapers? We were “back-to-the-landers” in wild W. Va. and had to fill the washer with cold water from our hand pump.

By the way, we had an outhouse, too.

OK, hate to be Fun Sheriff, but I have to warn anyone thinking of buying an older gas stove…you might have trouble finding someone to install it. They can be dangerous if they don’t have certain mechanisms. We learned this lesson the hard way. Bought a $200 stove, drove 11 hours total to get it here, no one would install it. Well, we DID find one guy, but he wanted us to sign a release form that didn’t hold him liable if anything…unsavory happened. Not a good sign. With our Spidey senses tingling we donated the stove and got serious: we bought a totally restored O’Keefe and Merritt 900 series from dreamstoves.com My husband agreed to buy me one, but I can tell you…I’m NEVER going to hear the end of it.

At The Lounge, I had a similar experience with a vintage gas stove. Here is Mass. they cannot be installed unless they feature an “automatic safety pilot.” On vintage stoves, while I do show them for the aesthetics: Consult with a professional.

7. carole holiday says

This is a GREAT place to buy good inexpensive things. We bought a sofa and chair and had next day delivery!! Love the nice clean items. Better service than if I bought at ten times the price. AAA+

8. natschultz says

Where is Pittsfield, NH? You say the Berkshires, but isn’t that in MASS? The Berkshires (MASS) aren’t too far from NYC (we used to do day-trip skiing there), but I thought NH was the White Mountains.

As a New Yorker, I must say that EVERYTING costs at least 50% more within communting distance of NYC than it does anywhere else. It sucks! I can actually purchase to-die-for vintage Danish Modern furniture shipped from Denmark to CA for less than I can get a not-as-awesome piece here (and to think that furniture probably stopped at JFK along the way!).
    Not that I have actually purchased these pieces, but just saying 😉 I probably would if they didn’t have to be shipped back here!

I’m considering a nice steel kitchen way way way Upstate, NY, and I just realized that it is actually as far a drive as it is to get to Maine or even Florida!

I think I’ll soon be doing an out-of NY road trip! Lower taxes, too!

9. natschultz says

Ooh, I just realized that my brother invited us to join him and his girlfriend’s family on their annual “luxury camping trip” (whatever that means) in Portsmouth, NH. I said “No way!” but maybe now I’ll reconsider! I can go MCM shopping while they go lobster trapping!

10. Zak says

what is the stove year and model in the last pic? I know its a GE looks like a P7, do you know what year? I have one that Im renovating my kitchen around!