Incredible WPA posters – thanks to Kay’s sleuthing!

blueridge-parkway-vintage-posters

Reader Kay sent in this fabulous resource: Ranger Doug, who reproduces these gorgeous WPA-era travel posters.

Kay writes:

Hello Pam,mount-rainier-le.jpg

I just found your blog in the last few weeks and I am really enjoying it. I live in a 1952 house that seems to be in the style of a Frank Lloyd Wright house. Though I am not going totally 50’s I am trying to keep that 1950’s feel. I am currently working on my Yorktown kitchen cabinets that someone repainted with house paint. Sigh. Big job and having them repainted by the car restorers is not in my budget.

Any how the reason I am writing is I found some wonderful reproductions of the WPA posters for the National Parks. These are posters that were printed in the 30’s and 40’s, so I think they might be found in a 1950’s home. And have that retro feel. I think they are wonderful.

Click here for the linkto Ranger Doug’s complete line.

Thanks, Kay!

I went right away to this website — and what a fabulous story! You are absolutely right — these are wonderful.

Seems Doug — aka “Ranger Doug” — became interested in old WPA travel posters, and has scoured the U.S. to un-earth the few remaining examples, and reproduced them. Go read this, everyone — really fascinating and in the true retro renovation spirit!

This post originally ran on Dec. 6, 2007

Comments

1. sumacsue says

These posters are great! My daughter is a forestry major, so I think she would enjoy one of these outdoorsy posters in the bedroom she uses when she’s in town. However, she’s been asking for some toile curtains. Not sure how well toile and the WPA will go together!

2. 50sPam says

Watch for another post soon on another artist creating this style of poster. Hmmmm. Let me investigate some toile fabrics and see if I can come up with a match that works…Thanks for writing, Sumac Sue!

3. Heather says

My husband bought me postcards with about 7 of these works at a National Park back in 2003-ish. I love them.

4. June Border says

Hi all, for anyone in the SE PA area, I have just seen that there is an exhibit of WPA posters going on right now at the Michener Museum in Doylestown, PA. It is running from April 24 to Aug. 2. 2009. I have informed the DH that we are going!

5. belinda roccaforte says

I have an entire wall of national Park posters from this site. Wonderful originals were WPA promotion posters during the FDR era.