Kohler Cimarron toilet gets retro renovation nod of approval

kohler-cimarron-toiletDrum roll, please. I’m adding a second toilet recommendation for 40s and 50s houses to the Bathroom list: The Kohler Cimarron two-piece, round-front. This model joins the Kohler Wellworth on the list of toilets that get my nod for having some modicum of a retro look. Or, damning with faint praise: They are at least not “Victorian on steroids.”

As my old story goes, when I was re-doing my three bathrooms I sweated over the toilet choice more than any other. At one point I swear I could name any toilet sold in America by make and model, on sight. Most had way too many design flourishes for my retro-taste. And now today, you have the designs with NO flourishes whatsoever, the Euro-styles.

The best model I found all things considered was the Wellworth, so I went for it. Now, I add the Cimarron. It has the same basic look — however, the tank is more rounded, less angular. I like it.

In fact, I should be adding some more from other makers, because in the 4 years since I’ve done my bathrooms, there have been other toilets that have come on the market that would pass the test. But you get the idea from these two Kohler models.

Notes: If you have a midcentury modern 60s house – you can go for a one-piece elongated model. These have a more modern look. The round-front generally takes up less space, though – another consideration if your bathroom is narrow.

And don’t forget:  Chrome handle, and painted wood seat and cover also attached with chrome.

Comments

The style is very similar to the Caroma dual flush toilet that we installed in our 1940s influenced basement bathroom. I think ours is the Adelaide model.

Yes, Tara, that Cadet is very similar. As I recall the reason I didn’t go with it was that my new tub was also Kohler – the Dynametric. So I wanted the whites to match.

Interestingly (to me)(and I need to put this is a real post) I was really freaked about having five “different” whites in my small bathrooms: 1) Kohler white tub and toilet, 2) vintage wallhung sink, 3) American Olean floor tile and 4) white 2×6 trim tile, which I think U.S. Ceramic from Home Depot. The vintage sink in particular was a different, less bright white. I remember making a frantic call to a designer who had helped me a bit…(by this point she knew I was a nutcase)…she said “hang the sink” “live with it and see.” 5 years later I never think of the ‘clashing whites’. Your eye melds everything.

3. Elizabeth Mary says

This is of interest to me because I need to new toilet one of these days. The one that came with the house is too fru-fru for me — probably Victorian flurishes. And, the town water is so hard that there is a permanent blue ring in the bowl, which the plumber tells me is the underlying porcelain shining through. So, I have spent a lot of time looking for what will be next and have decided on the Toto Drake — it gets great reviews and I like how it looks, and, my plumber does work with Toto. In the process of researching, I found a great site that has customer comments on many of the models made. That site is: http://www.terrylove.com/crtoilet.htm.

And, I understand about the many different whites. Luckily it has never bothered me, even though my contractor was worried it would. In my bathroom there are 6 different whites — tub, toilet, floor tile (small hexagonal), wall tile, sink and paint on the bead board. Love all of them.

Hi Elizabeth Mary, it just cracks me up to talk toilets. That Terry Love site is a hoot. He likes the Toto Ultramax series. It’s a one-piece and I notice there’s also a round-bowl model – which is unusual for a one-piece. And, it’s only 26.5″ front to back – good for our narrow bathrooms. I also like the look of that Toto Dalton. For 50s houses in particular, I like that sculptured horizontal edge at the top of the bowl. AND: I really really really like the look of that Gerber Ultraflush – regular round-front bowl. I love the tank! I will do more research, think I need to add that to the list for sure. You know, I think I’ve been seeing these (I always notice toilets, alas) and I was wondering, what are those… I like. :)

4. pam kueber says

Yowza, Elizabeth Mary. I love these wall-hung toilets. Even though they are kind of “weird” to look at given current sensibilities….a few seconds and they are really growing on me. Imagine how much easier to clean the bathroom floor!!!!! I will be doing a post for sure! Thank you, Toilet Scouter!
    here’s the direct-click url for anyone who wants a quick look: http://www.terrylove.com/wc/crane_rexmont.htm

5. Elizabeth Mary says

Pam,

Re: the wall hung toilets, I find I am torn between the benefit of being able to actually reach the floor to clean it, and the worry of having the toilet fall off the wall one day. Right now the worry outweighs the benefit. So, that, and the fact I have a hole in the floor ready to use, means my next toilet will be another floor model.

6. Terri says

Put the Cimaron in the 1948 basement remodel last summer! We’re very happy with the model and the matching sink. There is a drop in (we used the existing cabinet from 1969) and the pedastal sink. Both are smaller in scale than most offered.

It replaced the taupe toilet/sink that was chipped.

Terri

Yah! We just installed this toilet in our kids’ bathroom. It looks great, plus it can flush a bucket of golf balls! Just what you need in a kid’s bathroom. :)

8. Kenworthey says

I would be very grateful for an update on available midcentury-style toilets, as you mentioned. In particular, I am looking to replace a white toilet that clashes with the original blue sink from 1964. I cant find any modern manufacturer who seems to make blue. I like the idea of a new toilet, too–lower water use, better mechanism, etc.

Nobody is making that color that I know of…. my reco: Buy vintage. Try deabath.com (an advertiser) or you can read my FAQ about where to find stuff.

9. tikitacky says

I am sorry if I overlooked it, but I have searched the “bathroom: toilets” section and I cannot find any information on the Kohler one piece toilets. We bought two of these in pink (along with three matching pink sinks and a pink bathtub) off of CL. The 1955 house we purchased had all the pink fixtures removed when they put it up for sale (our new neighbor proudly told us that he helped to smash the pink toilets). The pink tile remains. We are putting it all back. So anyway, I am curious about the year these were made; since they’re one-piece that would indicate 1960s, but I’d like to find more info if I can. Did I miss your article about mid-century Kohler toilet styles?

10. Rick S says

Pam,
    I never thought “toilet talk” would interest me until now. I have installed 3 of the Kohler cimarron toilets in my 1978 home. The first one replaced the blue American Standard in the full bath. The fiberglass tub/shower unit is cracking and the blue and white swirl counter finish is worn through. We were able to sell the blue toilet to a man in georgia that needed the lid for his to match his all blue bathroom. He said he will store the rest “in case”.
    We just replaced the last 2 Kohler toilets in almond and Swiss Chocolate. My wife wants me to get rid of them but I haven’t found them a home yet.
    The new cimarrons are White, Bisque and almond. I guess I am tamer than others with color.

rick