Re-issued vintage PF Flyers

1964-pf-flyer-adOh my goodness, I am sure that these PF Flyers are the kinds of sneakers… “tennies”… that I had as a kid growing up in the 60s. Keds, too. Brian over at Atomic Addiction spotted the fact that authentic vintage reproductions of PF Flyers have now been introduced.  There are 12 different designs, originally introduced as early as 1940… all the way to 1981. Me, I think I’ll get a pair of the 1947 Grounder Lo’s. On the PF Flyer website there’s also a nice little slide show on the history of the brand, which included the first tie-up (tee hee) between a sneaker company and a pro basketball player, Bob Cousy.

And…Be sure to click on the great PF Flyer commercial on the upper right of this page with, yes: Jonny Quest!

vintage-style-pf-flyers-sneakers

Comments

1. scurl says

awesome! i’m getting the grounder hi’s…i can’t wait! i’ll be the biggest (vert and horz) kid on the sandlot!

2. Palm Springs Stephan says

I still remember the black and white PF Flyer TV commercials from the mid 1960s. There was one that featured an man with one of those rocket packs flying in to deliver a pair to a kid.

Sadly, there are no retailers listed anywhere near where I live (oh, the joys of living out in the desert!). Anyone found an online ordering mechanism yet?

3. 50s Pam says

Stephan – they have them at Zappos, here’s the link: http://www.zappos.com/pf-flyers

They call this line “Core Reissues” on Zappos.

If they are at Zappos, I’m sure they are on other sites as well.

Don’t be silly and try to do anything from those old TV commercials!

4. pam kueber says

Hey Stephan, I added some vintage video, too – A Johnny Quest commercial and I AM SURE I had that ring, too!!! It’s in the box to the right of the post, I always forget I have that box and can customize it for any page!

5. Palm Springs Stephan says

Great Jonny Quest ad! I was a huge Jonny fan when I was a kid. Ever notice that no woman ever appears in the original series? Never. Not one. But Dr Quest always had his “faithful companion” Race Bannon to bail them out of trouble. Hmmmm…..
    (During the ten years I lived in San Francisco, one of my best friends was named “Race Bannon” … his real name! And he had white hair!)

6. Leslie says

Hi Folks, Just an FYI regarding the PF flyers; Marshall’s is selling the grounder low and another vintage reissue for $15. I bought a pair in terracotta and they are fantastic! I live in Florida but if there is a Marshall’s near you it might be worth a look.