Vintage 1950s style stoves from Big Chill

retro-stoves

A DAY LONG IN COMING: New, retro-style stoves with an authentic vintage look. Big Chill is now taking pre-orders for fall delivery of these 30″ ranges, which run on gas or propane. Eight colors. This stove has a far superior look to all previous attempts, which have been too caricatured, in my opinion. The Big Chills seems to mimic real stoves from back in the day. For example, the backsplash (or whatever you call it) is pretty similar to vintage Magic Chefs, from my recollection. Even at $4,295, I think they should do quite well — not just in the retro renovation market, but among all homeowners. Cozy comfy granny retro will continue to be hot hot hot for years to come, extending deep into the mainstream marketplace, I predict. Many thanks to reader Lisa for sending me this hot off the presses info to share with all! Big Chill website here.

Comments

1. Jeffinprov says

I happily follow and enjoy this blog, even though my personal sense of decor might be best categorized as a cat fight between Norma Desmond and Grace Coolidge. [ed. note: Do not underestimate the former First Lady.] I stoutly refuse to be guilted-out by those who know what I paid for my restored 1924 Glenwood six-burner range. It is not only a superb and delightful piece of kitchen equipment, I find it beautiful. There is not a piece of art to be had at that price range that would lift my spirits on a day-to-day basis, not to mention being exceptionally functional. When it’s not lifting my spirits, it feeds magnificently into my dark angel’s depression that we won’t see again a culture that could produce such an object. The retro-facade product line is undoubtedly lucrative for Big Chill, but my heart lies with the Real Deal, which seems to have its own Heart.

2. Tinyrica says

Tappan Trailer Tami

I just got on this site.

Where did you get those ceiling lights. They are really nice.

Tinyrica

3. Jan Rutherford says

My mother has a 1950’s 19″ Tappen double wall oved in need of a total rebuild on the face controls.Have been told the parts are not longer available. Is the a Portand Oregon locaton that can do this or sugggestions for 19″ repalcements?

4. Jeanie says

We are remodeling our country cottage kitchen and would like to know if a 1950s O’Keefe and Merritt Aristocrat range is safe for use. It is in excellent condition and we are assuming the insulation and paint are original.

Jeanie, we are not experts on this question here. You need to consult with a properly licensed professional. Good luck.

5. Miriam & Bill Ward says

I just sent an question about an Harper-Wyman gas stove from the early 60’s. It’s an Enterprise, Model #G30T. The mercury sensor in the oven is not working. I understand that this part is not available as mercury is now banned and am needing a new part to replace this. When your company does a rebuild repair service on an antique stove what part do they use. ( I’m not sure I gave you my right e-mail address on my first comment to you.) Sincerely, Miriam

I will not respond – see story in Kitchens/Appliances about where to potentially get help with old stoves.