Six mid-century bathrooms, vintage 1962

1962-pink-and-green-bathroomThere’s more to come in my series of vintage Hall-Mack bathroom hardware. But a pause here for some bathroom illustrations  featured in the 1962 catalog. There are some really great ideas in these six mid-century bathrooms. Above: One of our favorite sink and vanity base combos, the American-Standard introduced in 1959. I think a reader just wrote to tell me that he or she had the sink in just this color. It’s terrific. And what about that fabulous toilet.

1962-american-standard-bathroom

Look look look. The American-Vanity — longer. I have never seen this. I adore it! Also, I need to do more on yellow bathrooms, this is a wonderful color for a bathroom. This is a wonderful bathroom design in so many ways.

1962-blue-teal-and-wood-bathroom

Very sophisticated. If you want a solid surface sink – Carrera Marble is authentic vintage. Note, I am told you must keep it well sealed, marble requires maintenance. Alternatively, there is a least one company that makes a Carrera Marble laminate.

1962-blue-bathroom

These blue tile colors are available today, I believe.

1962-pink-bathroom

I love the orientation of the tile in the tub surround. I am not sure you can get 1″x4″ tiles today. But you can get 1″x2″s in sheets and run them vertically like this….

1962-white-bone-grey-bathroom

The cover shot for my catalog. Note the greek motif on the bath mat. As we’ve seen and discussed before, Greek and Roman motifs really started to take off in the 60s.

Comments

1. Wendy says

Can you imagine doing your business in the yellow bathroom–with the big giant window right there? I think my husband would have a stroke. ; -)

2. scathingjane says

These pictures are great!

I think you can get those 1 x tiles or similar if you look… usually at a price and imported from Europe.

I love the fact that they show the grab bars, and that it doesn’t look institutional.

Great bathrooms! I guess the Greek key motif went along with the interest in all things Greek as Pam said: wasn’t Spartacus released in the 60s? I also like the presence of those tubular metal-framed seats in three of the bathrooms. I think they speak to the Hollywood Regency decor that was becoming popular then. Interesting that this is when we also begin to see wall-to-wall carpet in bathrooms.

4. Annie B. says

Wonderful photos. The angular lines of the toilets are so modern.
    The vanity seat in the yellow bathroom seems to follow the Greek/Roman theme, too.

These adds are just incredible! I love to see the original posters and magazines. We have one of those sinks, from the first photo, at the warehouse but it is yellow instead of green. I love how wide the sides are. We also have four wall mounted toilets – shown above in the first three adds. The colors are just awesome! We have blue, pink, yellow and lavender! I just love them!

6. Genjenn says

Freud would have a field day with me, I’m sure. I’m just giddy about these bathrooms. But then, what did he know from MCM lav, tub, toilet suites?
    The pink and green bathroom is devine. I love the pendant light, momgrammed towels and obligatory fern (blue bathroom, too). Got to love those ferns. The yellow bathroom is equally fabulous. That vanity is heaven. Worried about privacy with those floor to ceiling windows? Just close the full length drapes (pinch pleat, I’m sure).

7. Richard Reid says

If I sent you a floor-plan of my current (circa 1959) guest bath, could you suggest some modernizing plans that keep the original character, but make more efficient use of space ?