Mid-century American Standard Gracelynn sink

Bathroom
YES, I AM OBSESSED with this sink. I have one — in white, although I also love this icy gray — in my garage on hold for my tiny, storage-challenged master bath; I am waiting to see if the retro decorating gods also send me the vanity. Meanwhile, I have finally learned its official name: It’s the Gracelynn Cabinet-Lavatory.  The toilet: The lovely Carlyle. You know it is one of my life goals to be able to name every midcentury toilet and sink on sight. This 1960 photo is from flickr friend Java1888, click the image to go straight to his photo stream. Another flickr friend, What Makes the Pie Shops Tick, has a 1965 American-Standard catalog posted where I found the name of this much-coveted sink, and more. Final note, I believe this sink was introduced in ’59.

Comments

Checked out both sites, they are now bookmarked, might find some great ideas for the banquette I’m looking to do. Plue, just lots of fun to look at. Thanks!!

2. Annie B. says

I have now found the sink of my dreams! I’ll be scouting for this model at every opportunity. Would be perfect in my guest bath, which is my next re-do project. This is one creamy sink! Love the vanity with its sweetly tapered metal-clad legs….and all that drawer space. Thanks for sharing.

That is the sink I grew up with in my parent’s up stairs bathroom. It has a white top with with yellow wood. I spent many years cleaning and polishing it and always liked its style.

4. Genjenn says

I bought one of these sink/vanity combos from a post listed on this site for $100. The sink is American Standard’s Regency Blue, which is a deep French blue. It was in Chicago. I’m in L.A. The seller arranged shipping for $150. It took a LONG time, but it arrived last saturday!!!!
    The sink is American Standard’s Regency Blue, which is a deep French blue. It is in perfect condition. The original knobs and faucet are also like new. The vanity needs some love, but requires only superficial repairs.
    Pam, you must be able to read my mind. I was about to embark on an internet search for the names of the vanity and sink. You rock.
    I’ll post pics as soon as I can.

5. Kiki Dulane says

I went to my Grandma’s 90th birthday a couple of weekends ago. She has the exact same little seat that is to the right of the sink in this photo, bought in the 60s. Oh, and I also adore this sink!

6. Genjenn says

Question about the above picture:
    Anybody know what the rows of dots on the bulkhead are? Lights perhaps? Wallpaper?

Many thanks!

7. pam kueber says

Genjenn, I think the dots are decorative / functional elements of a valence over strip lighting. Looks like the lights illuminate both toward the ceiling and down toward the mirror. The dots in the valence covering them also let some bleed through. Cool.

8. tabathajean says

I am searching for a toilet tank lid for my “April 11, 1955” grey toilet, which I think is American Standard, since that is the only brand of seat which will fit on its rounded bowl. I don’t have the original lid, but the stamp inside the tank reads the date and the numbers 7 24. Any ideas as to where to find a replacement lid?

9. Pat Scalione says

I have this sink and vanity…so great to finally identify it. Now we are remodeling, and I would love to find a new home for it…any ideas?

I just purchased one of these sinks in Pink off of Craigslist. The sink is good but missing its stopper (the original owner is looking for it). The cabinet is in need of tlc with chips to the veneer, a broken metal trim piece, and is lacking its interior shelves and original back. A bit of a project but it would look nice restored.

• Lisa Compo says

Oh..lucky find. 🙂 I had one all set up on Ebay and the seller wouldn’t help me get it shipped to me…I was so upset. Anyway, I hope you can restore it to it’s former beauty. My Grandmother had one in her powder room and I am looking for one for a house we want to build. Have fun with your project. If you ever want to sell her…let me know 😉

11. Michele says

I have this sink and vanity, plus matching toilet and tub in Ming Green by American Standard. kept them in place and renovated around them with white subway tile and border tile in matching color. Also have the mirror (cant remember the name right now) that was THE bathroom fixture of the day. Looks beautiful.

• Lisa Compo says

Oh, I bet that looks just beautiful. To me…it’s still THE fixture. I still really want one, even though I don’t have a need or space. I could just visit it in storage in the basement LOL…just knowing I had one would bring silly joy for a “someday” use. 🙂

12. Celeste says

I found this vanity sitting in the basement of the house we just bought (with no legs), and the matching white tub behind the shed (even had flower anti slip stick ons) Looking for the sink top to install everything in a gutted bathroom.

Start watching craigslist like a hawk. Also your local ReStores. I am in Western Mass and have one – contact me if you are near. Pickup only.