Stephanie’s vintage O’Keefe and Merritt stove

stephanies-vintage-kitchenREADER STEPHANIE sent in photos of her wonderful vintage stove — an O’Keefe and Merritt newly restored by Antique Stove Heaven. Doesn’t it look great with her vintage chrome crackle ice vinyl and laminate dinette. I just wanna pull up a chair and have a cuppa with her right this very minute.

stephanies-vintage-stove

Stephanie writes:

Pam —

Your recent email about your birthday present reminded me to share my birthday present, due to be delivered next week: a completely restored and working 1946 O’Keefe and Merritt stove: gleaming chrome, salt and pepper shakers, and all!  It has red trim and knobs, which will go with my mother’s kitchen (now my kitchen), where we are taking everything back to the 50’s.  Just bought light fixtures from Rejuvenation.

As we have been cleaning, renovating, and stripping down my parent’s home, my favorite time capsules have been the little notes written by my father found inside appliances, electrical boxes, and tacked inside cupboard doors — !  Things like, “garage door opens best when spring is adjusted…” and “this outlet is connected to the bedroom system, because…etc, etc.” Our current stove even has a note inside the storage space, stating when it was purchased, how much it cost (including taxes and other hidden fees), and where it was purchased.  What a dad, huh?

Regards,

Stephanie

Thanks, Stephanie – love that floor, too. We can’t wait to see the rest of the kitchen when you are done. Even more importantly: What wonderful time capsule messages left by your father. You are so lucky… and your house is lucky, too, to have you updating it with so much thoughtfulness and care.  See Stephanie’s blog, dollymamas.blogspot.com here.

Comments

1. Happy Daze says

Nice stove. Are the red knobs and handles original? I’ve never seen them in any color other than white.

It’s wonderful! I, too, would love to see more of the kitchen and the rest of the home. I visited Stephanie’s website, and I’m sure glad I did! I’ve been dreaming for years of getting some dolls that are very sentimental to me restored – and that’s what she does!

3. sumac sue says

What a spic-and-span kitchen! Looks great. I love the part about the notes. My husband’s dad made such notes, and couldn’t bear to throw things away. Our favorite note was the one taped to a broken VCR stored in the basement — “Good for clock only, does not play tapes.” As if someone might find it and say, hey, we can use this broken VCR as a clock in the guestroom! But he lived through the Great Depression, and it was his way of being thrifty and hopeful that something could still be useful to someone. That attitude is the reason such things as O’Keefe and Merritt stoves occasionally can still be found. Someone thought they might still be useful to someone, and they were right.

4. Culver City Bronwyn says

Love the red highlights! We have used Antique Stove Heaven to repair our O’Keefe & Merritt too! Would love to get it fully restored. Good birthday idea :).

5. Suzanne says

Great minds think alike–my O’Keefe & Merritt is almost exactly like yours, but yours seems to have a grill or griddle in the center, whereas mine has two burners. (My pix under “flooring” on the kitchen site.) Don’t you love those heat diffusers over the burners. These stoves may be vintage, but you can cook up a storm on them. Good luck with your renovations–please share photos.
    –Suzanne