Vintage seagulls

vintage-seagullsIt’s a small world — I literally bumped into reader Cindy (center) as I headed to shop in Northamptom this weekend. This is really kind of freaky, because that’s a half hour from her house and an hour from my house, and there are 6,497,967 people in the great Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Cindy had been going to tag sales with friends. She picked up this trio of vintage seagull wall art for $5. I think you’d call them “in the danish modern style” – although it might be more true to say “popular 70s.” I think these are great for patios… I have a brassy seagull wall hanging, also a steal $, above our barbecue in the U-shaped patio at the front of our house. Well done, Cindy. See you at the James Taylor concert at Tanglewood in two weeks!

Comments

I have a Ravencrest clock shaped like a bicycle found in thrift shop, can’t find much about it, runs with a battery, well in researching a gal on etsy is selling the same clock, with a 1963 stamp on back with Ravencrest on the stamp, but she also has a decal named Masketeers, she has it selling for $110. Not sure if these were made in the 60’s these clocks to look retro, because the clock part looks 60’s but with both blocks running on battery and not a electrical plug in, these 2 clocks simply couldn’t be from the 60’s, you can’t tell me both were remade to let a batter run them, so not sure, but I have a feeling they came out in the 80’s, anybody know if this Masketeers was making stuff in the 80’s?

2. jane says

Glad we made this post when we did, Uncle Walter passed away last year and we would never have known that these were actually Ibis….after all that!

3. Bobo says

This was a great post and the ensuing thread was fun and informative for me. Thank you!
    I am somewhat of a Masketeers addict. I have been collecting a variety of them. So far, I have:
    2 different kinds of fish sets. One is orange, another is blue.
    Peacocks.
    One pair of big cats and one pair of kittens.
    A set of ducks.
    A set of geese.
    A set of pheasants.

• Lee Ann says

I have the Masketeers 1961 lion, with metal mane and tail!! purchased as a wedding gift from my mother’s aunts who lived in Wheeling WV, as a wedding gift for my parents wedding. I have a picture!

I just purchased a set of two camels with ‘copyright 1961’ Masketeers inc. at a yard sale. Haven’t been able to find any information on them. Anyone ever heard of these?

Not me, but your comment reminds me that I dreamed of Masketeers last night! In my dream, I went to visit an amazing high-style time capsule house, and on the wall, were a variety of Masketeers all grouped together. I wanted to buy them right off the wall, but I restrained myself, because this was just a visit, not an estate sale. Yet. I am getting crazier by the day.

5. Sean Boudreau says

Hi everyone,

I just got a set of these wonderful Masketeer birds. And I’m wondering, what is the best way to mount them on the wall? They each have two small holes in back (the holes do not go all the way through the wood). I’m not familiar with mounting hardware so I’m not sure how the whole thing is suppose to work.

Any advice greatly appreciated it!

Thank you for these great posts, I’ve learned a lot.

Sean

6. Keaton says

I have these same geese (or ducks, who knows). They are from the 60s – mine belonged to my grandparents; they bought them when they lived in their first house together, which they bought in 1963. There are pictures of them in that house with them hanging on the wall. Crazy that there are so many still around like them!

7. Amy Dietz says

Love those ducks. This is the version I was taught. It’s meant to be a conversation between two hunters peering out from a blind, fairly inebriated:

M R ducks.
    M R not.
    O S A R. C D E D B D wings? C D E D B D beaks?
    I L B. M R ducks!