Vintage 60s orange, harvest gold, avocado and colonial brick flooring remnants

vintage-orange-vinyl-cropSecond up in 3-for-Wednesday Reader Shout-Outs: Alison spotted these vintage flooring remnants — and more if you click through — for sale at a local salvage place. Aren’t the colors fabulous?

vintage-orange-persian-vinyl-flooring

Be cognizant, readers, that old flooring can contain asbestos; I advise consulting with a pro, and I also have links to the EPA site on the top of Fast & Easy pages, Galleries and in other spots. Alison says she tested the floors in her house when they moved in — way to go, A.

Regarding this flooring find, she writes:

Hey there,

I was at my local architectural salvage shop (Earthwise in Seattle) and they had rolls of about 5 different types of vintage 60s sheet vinyl.  Not a lot of each, but they *definitely* need to find a loving home.  Best part? They’re about $2 per roll (the rolls don’t have much, but enough to do a small bathroom, etc.  I took some pics, so let me know if you’d like me to pass them onto you.

All best,
ALison

Many thanks, Alison! Great retro recon. Carry those cameras or camera-phones, readers!

Earthwise Building Salvage – Seattle

vintage-avocado-vinyl-flooring

Comments

1. pam kueber says

kristin, the link to earthwise building seattle is right above the photo with the avocado persian flooring shown. please also read the whole post to note the the potential for asbestos – and make sure that you get informed / consult with a pro on this issue. good luck.

I love it. My mother had it in our kitchen back in the 70’s. It all got “updated” in the 80’s with a “southwestern” style, all peach and teal. Then again in the 90’s… still southwest, but more muted…

3. Joel Riehl says

We had the 2nd frame down – the orange mediterranean tile pattern – in the house my parents built in 68/69. I remember seeing the avocado version when out shopping for materials too. Funny how it all of a sudden doesn’t look so bad. Wonder how these things can sneak back into the mix. I’ve noticed for the past couple of years the sort of neo-Baroque patterning from 60s wall paper coming back into vogue – but in black and white (almost as if seen on an old TV), not color. Anyway, great page! I was looking for an image of that floor.

4. sheri says

I have flooring that is much older than the 70s. Any ideas about what I could do with it? It is still in good shape.

I’m not sure what is your question, Sheri. I do want to note to consult with a properly licensed professional about what materials are in your flooring before you mess with it. Renovate Safe.

5. Renee says

We had the vinyl flooring that looks like the avacodo but it was in two tone golden yellow and mustard. We had to cover over it because it was soft and got scratched and nicked. The sink, range hood and oven door are still in avacodo green.

6. Cheryl says

Hi I really need some of these 60s vinyl floors the red or green are fab! How can I get them to Australia? ASAP!