The Donna Reed Show kitchen

donna-reed-kitchenI was a bit on the young side to watch The Donna Reed Show, which aired from 1958 to 1966. But when I was first shopping for a vintage stove, a refurbisher not too far away wanted me to buy a pristine electric Philco, which he called “a real Donna Reed model.” Drats. It was. But I skipped it because Mr. Retro Renovation wanted a gas stove. But, we ended up with electric anyway — and the story continues because the 1959 GE Pushbutton that we ultimately bought from the same guy was the trade-in for the pristine Donna Reed model. Oh well. So now, I get to show you Donna Reed’s kitchen.

donna-reed

Obviously, the kitchen is a really a set for the television how, so it’s the ultimate U-shape, ha ha. Looks like the cabinets are wood – and not postwar ones. The stove and fridge look newer, though.

mary-with-wallpaper

You know me: I’m happy to see the wallpaper in the background. The curtains are a different design – but complement the wallpaper. Presumably Mary can pour milk right out of a pitcher because the milkman delivers fresh every morning. Remember the post about the history of the milkman?

jeff-in-the-donna-reed-kitchen

Hmmm, I think that is a washer or dryer behind son Jeff.

Honestly, I  need to watch more episodes to get a sense of the house and how to “date” this kitchen and its details. Luckily, I can watch 37 full episodes on Fancast (Hulu).

And there’s a museum just for Donna Reed, in her hometown of Denison, Iowa. Very cool. Donna Reed Foundation for the Performing Arts.

Comments

1. John says

morning Pam, just an aside to your milkman comment. As Monty Python would say “But I’m not dead yet”!! My neighbors across the St. here in Florence have milk delivered to their doorstep and it gets stored in those metal boxes outside till they retrieve it. Friends in Boston also have milk delivery to their house in Roslindale.
    Some things do stay the same.
    John

Pam,

Have you seen the book “TV Sets,” by Mark Bennett. He’s hand-drawn the blueprints for dozens of classic TV homes, and the Alex and Donna Stone house is among them. It’s a really fun book.

3. MrsErinD says

That kitchen is wonderful! Thanks, I am going to hook the laptop up to my tv so we can watch Donna Reed all day! ;O)

4. marjorie says

My parents did not put steel cabinets in the house they built in the mid 50’s (about 1955 in Colorado) but built wooden cabinets which were painted…….I live in a 1958 story book ranch in Minnesota and the tiny kitchens in our development are also have wooden cabinets with full overlay flat panel doors with gold speckle counters(integral backsplash) or faux butcher block …….

5. John Robertson says

When we bought our current home, I wanted a phone extension below the stairway. Finding a cabinet to fit the space was difficult and finally found one. Karen said, “why there”. I called the little stand, “the Donna Reed phone stand” and that’s what we call it today. I changed the phone to a candlestick (old) model to match the décor.

6. Marie says

I ended up on your blog because they actually remodeled the kitchen you show above in Season 3, Episode 4, called Donna Decorates. I was looking for before and after pictures.

So this kitchen goes away during the series. This seems like an episode you guys would really get a kick out of it as it’s all about the appearance of the house. 😉