1960s time capsule house on DeluxeVille

pink-bathroom-folding-shower-doors-metallic--wallpaperMARY DELUXE of Welcome to DeluxeVille get the weekend super retro recon award for the photos of the wonderful time capsule open house. Dig this deep pink — salmon? coral? — bathroom with its original folding tub enclosure shower door and octagon-and-dot floor tile. And, oh my, yes, we LOVE the metallic wallpaper. Repeat after me: Yes, we do! Click over to Mary’s blog, and you’ll see that the vintage wallpaper — very 60s — covers the ceiling, too. And, there’s more on her blog, including another bathroom and vintage steel cabinets that have been stripped down to the metal for a stainless steel finish, something that we have not discussed or seen yet. Thank you, MaryDeluxe, for sharing, and for RetroRoadmap for sending the link to me on Twitter. Oh my, we are so socially networked.

Comments

I am really impressed with the seafoam and pink Master bathroom. I love the use of the big (12×12?) tiles instead of the usual 4×4 on the walls. I also think that is a Crane Criterion sink, one of my favorites.

2. Kristin says

I like this house a lot; it is such a cool combo of my once favorite Spanish Revival (see back porch arches) and the typical MCM ranch. JEALOUS!

That kitchen and the master bath are simply dreamy.

And I like the chandeliers over the dining area too.

Maybe I’m having another mixed-up Monday or maybe I’m beginning to finally see how to blend design styles so I don’t have to relinquish my favorite things from other eras! I hope it is the latter.

3. Jen8 says

My pink bathroom had silver and pink metallic wallpaper similar to that. Had. That was one leaky ill-fitted poorly laid out pink room. Don’t hate me though, I kept the silver/green metallic swirl wallpaper on the ceiling (yes ceiling) of my mint green half bath.

There’s no hate, here, Jen. When you gotta go, you gotta go. I mean, when the bathroom’s gotta go, it’s gotta go. haha. i like bad puns, too. send me a pick of your wallpapered ceiling! retrorenovation [at] gmail [dot] com

WOW! awesome! Lovin the kitchen so much and that master bath! OH! From the photo of the master bath, it looks like its Vitrolite that is on the walls!

I was at this same open house! So crazy to see it pop up on here. I’m pretty sure that everything inside the house (except the fridge) was original — including the built-in cutting board w/ metal rim in the kitchen and the nook in the hallway for a rotary phone w/ phone jack underneath. I was hoping to find some MCM furniture, but alas, nothing really of interest to me.

6. Jeanne says

I put that exact same white/brown large cane patterned wallpaper in my first kitchen after we got married in 1977, so it was still popular in the 70s.

7. St. Christopher says

Wallpaper Shmallpaper! I want the cute little brown travel trailer in the back yard! Looks like an Airstream Bambi.

8. MaryDeluxe says

Sorry peeps but that wallpaper in that bathroom was really shiny, made the room feel tiny and also made me dizzy! *hehehe* The wall paper is very cool but do we really need it on the ceiling?

Troy….I was sad to see there was no mcm furniture there also but the current owner moved in the house in 2001 and was the second owner of the house. Bettcha all the cool mcm furniture went with the original owner!

The 1979 Boler camper will go up for sale at auction too!

MaryDeluxe

9. roy meisenzahl says

I have 1950-1960’s metal frame glass insert shower doors. I can’t figure out how to get the doors out to clean and adjust. They don’t raise enough to pull them out.

10. pam kueber says

Roy, this is not a DIY or fixit site. I would suggest you talk directly to a glass & shower door company for help. There is one in my town, and they are very very helpful regarding such issues.