A retro stove from Sears

kenmore-39-inch-two-oven-rangeSince we’re on stoves this week, here’s one that I’ve been meaning to showcase for a while: The 39″ wide, two-oven Kenmore Elite range from Sears. Today, it’s priced at about $1,900 for gas, $1,800 for electric. That’s alotta dough, but not so much as the lovely Big Chills. And this stove has that nice, wide, retro stance. While I love vintage, I have to say there is one big thing that I do miss: A self-cleaning oven. This Kenmore, with its stainless steel finish, suits a retro renovation kitchen well. Pair it if you can with a “fitted” 24″ deep stainless steel fridge … edge your countertops with stainless steel… and go in any direction that you please with the cabinets, it would work out just fine, I think.  Online at Sears.

Comments

1. sablemable says

This is nice! Looks very retro but with all the modern bells and whistles.

I didn’t buy a retro style stove; instead I bought a gas stove from Peerless that offers the electronic pilot, but, in case of a power outage, one can manually light the burners and the oven, which sold me. LOL, I can’t live w/o my coffee, so at least I could still make it during an outage (I have a stovetop Bialetta and a french press).

2. Brad says

My wife and I also recently bought this stove (the Frigidaire version, which looks exactly the same). It has a gas range top, a gas auxiliary oven (which can fit a few casserole dishes), and a large, main, convection oven. It works like a dream. We had a tough time finding a 40″ oven (so that we wouldn’t have to alter the 50’s cabinetry) with today’s technology but a clean, retro look; this oven fit the bill perfectly.

Now, if we could only find a hood that will fit above it!!

• Rita says

Which one, exactly is the Frigidaire version? My husband and I are renovating and I would love to give him some options. We, unfortunately, cannot afford to purchase a chamber stove.
      Thanks!
      Rita

3. niki says

I AM INTERESTED IN FINDING PICTURES FROM A BATHROOM FROM 1969. WE BOUGHT A HOUSE AND THE UPSTAIRS BATHROOM STILL HAS THE ORIGIONAL MAUVE TUB, TOILET,AND SINK. THE TOILET IS A WALL MOUNT SO IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS FLOATING. I WOULD LIKE TO SEE IF ANYONE ELSE HAS THE SAME TYPE OF SITUATION…(WE ARE WANTING TO GET RID OF THE PURPLE)

niki, when you are saying you want to get rid of the purple, do you mean you want to get rid of the mauve fixtures? if so… you are probably not on the right blog.

4. Kirsten says

Hi Pam,

Just saw this post from a while back. We moved into our 1950 ranch early this year, and we’re about to begin a mega remodel, entire kitchen included. This stove came new with the house, so we’re going to keep it, but I’m wondering if you had any new thougths on a range hood.

Currently, we have the original Vent-a-hood above it, which could be refurbished and recoated. It would need new lighting and perhaps a new motor. Or is there anything else out there that you would recommend for a 40″ stove?

Thanks!

looking for any help on a sears kenmore classis it has what looks like a drop in range but its connected to the upper stove between the range and the stove are all dials4 burnners dials 2 bigburners 2small burners when range is not in use you just push it in and it covering back 2 burners then you slide out a steel cover and it hides all burners it looks nice and maks the range look more like a nice shiny shelf. the oven is above and has 2 class doors that meet in the middle it has 1 dial for selector with off,bake,broil,preheat 1 dial for thermoste says ..2…3…4 up to 575 then there are other knobs etc try to explain one is a plug above it says timed one is switch for either inner burner or both outer and inner one switch hold warm oven off, both lamp lie switch red circular units lite red circular oven lite. has clock leky side of clock switch minder,minutesleft side switch cook, hours bottom of clock switch start,time. next to clock on left side smaller dial u turn to see options manuual,hold heat. my maIN PROBLEN IS THE OVEN WILL ONLY GO ON WHEN DIAL is on hold and then turns off whenn reaches tewmp if you wait ten min u can do it over and over but would love to mfix it i think it has to do with timers . dont know age of unit however built in 1953 one owner and all appliances are older and work great so t assume this is original so between 1951-1955

Michelle, we do not provide this kind of advice. Please consult with a licensed professional. I have a couple of stories in the Kitchens/Appliances & Accessories category suggesting potential ways to find good people. There is also a story about specialized online sites for vintage appliances that you might try. Good luck.

6. Krissy says

I have had this range for 7 years. It stopped baking a few weeks ago because the controller went out. Long story short Sears/Frigidaire no longer makes the controller and my stove cannot be fixed. It is obsolete after 7 years. I wanted to share a buyer beware in case it happens again with the newer model. It was an expensive range and not easily affordable to replace. I am going vintage this time – no electronic controllers. :)