Vintage Kenmore dryer

vintage-kenmore-dryerThere was a vintage Kenmore dryer in the basement of the estate sale – right next to the deco-style steel sink cabinet. Sigh. I don’t know how much electricity these vintage dryers use…probably a lot. But they are so beautiful — and goodness, they have lasted a long time, that’s for sure!

Comments

1. Justin says

Beautiful dryer. Too bad they didn’t have the matching washer with it. I’ve got that same dryer in pink. I currently don’t use it, don’t have the matching washer for it yet. The washer and dryer set I do use is a 1963 Lady Kenmore set in turquoise.

Justin

Riegelman’s Appliances here in Gresham Oregon has a Beee-utiful late 50s turquoise washer/dryer set on display in their showroom. The salesman said they didn’t work anymore (wiring issues… I bet they could be repaired by any decent repairman) but looked absolutely perfect on the outside. They have the original paper work & manuals and apparently the lady who owned them actually waxed the finish. They looked SO nice, especially when sitting next to new models.

3. St. Christopher says

There was a beautiful set of turquoise Maytags in Salt Lake City on the C-List for something like $275 a few months ago. Ooohhhhh….my girlfriend had to hold me back. I was already printing out maps and calculating gas costs….

I have the same set in harvest gold and they work awesomely!

By the way, did anybody check out the rest of the pics in that persons collection? Check out the cool appliances in the kitchen!

Looks like they have TWO vintage dishwashers! Little surprise considering the rows of washers and driers in the basement.

Chris.

4. nina462 says

I found a Lady Kenmore washer (w/mangle) at an antique store last week for $250. Yes, I do know how to use a mangle (thanks Mom)…but already have a washer & dryer. I liked how it was labeled a “LADY” Kenmore….
    I also remember my mom teaching me to wash the whites first, colors second and darks last….because we used the same water! Funny, I still do the laundry that way, even though I have a modern washer…

5. jimmy says

Hi,
    Carbon footprint? Can we eliminate the political agenda in discussions about retro appliances? Gimme a break–really. I wonder if Al Gore worries about how much energy his appliances consume in that enormous 44,000 square foot warehouse he lives in. I bet not. Have fun and don’t be such fools

Jimmy, I tend to agree we should set this issue aside. Tip: If you are interested in finding out more about the energy efficiency of your old appliances, get a meter and test them individually. For example, contrary to what might be a knee-jerk belief, I have been told that old fridges can be pretty energy efficient – because they don’t have defrost motors. The defrosting in today’s models, I was told, takes a lot of energy. Bottom line: Test what you have … and I would say: Learn more about the energy used in your house in all ways and go for macro-solutions. I plan to blog more about this — home energy efficiency — in the future – it is a great interest of mine.

6. Bruce says

My dryer looks exactly like the one in the picture (but not quite as clean). Mine is a 1950 Sears-Kenmore (not a “Lady Kenmore”) GAS dryer model 5817801. It seems the only outward difference is mine has a pop out panel on the front bottom edge where the gas petcock is located. I don’t know how much electric it uses but it’s a 110 volt AC 6 amp motor. The machine is quite heavy with VERY thick sheet metal. It was the first (I believe) gas dryer to use an electric pilot (heat coil) ignition. It usually needs a new V-belt every 10 or 12 years but the belts are easy to change. I don’t think it will ever wear out.

• Patrick Coffey says

Bruce, from the partial model # you gave your dryer dates from 1958 NOT 1950. The dryers model # starts with 110. which signifies it was made by Whirlpool as like today Sears has all their appliances made for them by other manufacturers

7. Lakon Williams says

I just bought a house with a 1950’s Norge (borg-Warner)home double-chest farm freezer, mint condition and working! A 1950’s white Kenmore dryer in mint and working condition, and a 1954 Norge 41″ range, white in color. I cannot find any information on what my antique appliances are worth. Any information would be appreciated! -Lakon

• Patrick Coffey says

Lakon,
      If you would like information on your vintage Kenmore dryer and 2 vintage Norge appliances I suggest you go to automatic washer.org, I know of a lot of people there who can help you date your appliances and help you with any problems you might have with them