Bronwyn and Greg’s retro renovation kitchen

dishmasterRemember Bronwyn and Greg? They finished the updates to their 1950s kitchen earlier this year, and Bronwyn sent me photos. bronwyn and gregThis is a compact, galley-style kitchen — a style that I know many readers share. Bronwyn and Greg kept the original cabinets and a rockin’ O’Keefe and Merritt stove that came with the place. They added new, retro-style appliances, Formica Skylark countertops, a backsplash and above — the Dishmaster M2000 faucet. In fact, it was Bronwyn who first told me about The Dishmaster.

50s-kitchen

This kitchen layout can be super-efficient in terms of saving steps and getting work done. I love the way the white repeats throughout the kitchen – from the stove to the fridge to the dishwasher to the sink and backsplash. When space is small, it’s probably smart to be conservative about the number of principal colors you use on “fixed” surfaces. You can always dial things up with accessories. This kitchen is cheerful — yet serene, too.

okeefe-and-merritt

That stove is awesome. Bronwyn says that the countertop edging is a kind of composite material (not metal) that her contractor found. I think these options are out there — used for commercial applications. It certainly has the right look. How is it holding up, Bronwyn?

50s-kitchen-light

The light is “deco” rather than modern. I think that’s totally appropriate to the house — which has a “romantic revival” feel to it, as well. And — it’s always great to mix things up.

Comments

1. kate says

Retrocat, that mixer WAS my mother’s mixer! We gifted it to Bronwyn and Greg. All my childhood birthday cakes were made with that mixer. 🙂

Love it! I like the diagonal b/w tile floor and pistachio color on the walls; we used that same combo in our kitchen – though we painted our polyurethaned plywood cabinets, a decision I sometimes regret whenever I see Betty Draper’s kitchen. It’s great you mixed it up with the deco light fixture; it’s never good to be too dogmatic; a little eclecticism shows your own personal touch. Looks cozy and sweet.

3. sumac sue says

What a nice kitchen. Great blend of new and old. I love how the sink cabinet has those recessed doors. Is the wood around the doors curved? It’s just the right amount of flair in the otherwise simple cabinets. The floor — is it new or old? It looks really good with everything else.

4. Culver City Bronwyn says

Sumac Sue–The wood around the doors IS curved. One of my favorite things about the house, actually.

Sherri and S.S.–The flooring is ceramic. We believe the last owner put that in around 2002 or so.

5. Caryn says

So much in this kitchen’s “bones” reminds me of ours–great work, Bronwyn and Greg! I especially like the way you used the blue and white in the sink/backsplash/counter area–very neat-looking. The wood cabinets are identical to the ones in my grandparent’s farmhouse–brought back happy memories.

I have the exact same color checkerboard flooring, the first floor my husband ever laid, in linoleum…he did a great job, and I love it.

Enjoy your hard work 🙂

6. Eldemila says

Can you tell me what you used to clean the cabinets? Were they refinished? Please do tell! I’m going to have a kitchen with beautiful old cabinets that I want to keep during a remodel and want to make sure I clean them properly and bring back their natural beauty.
    THANKS!

7. loumeigs says

Bronwyns, beautiful kitchen! We are also in love with Turquoise. Would you be willing to part with the brand and recipe of that paint?! I’ve had disappointing results with my latest attempts at color matching and that appears to be perfect! Thanks!!!

8. Culver City Bronwyn says

Eldemilla–We actually didn’t do much cleaning. The cabinets had to be re-sanded when some of the tile was removed so you are looking at re-sanded and re-varnished cabinets.

Loumeigs–we matched the color that the last owner put in. We have a paint swatch that says “Hummingbird– 1A48-4”. I believe the brand was “Behr” (from Home Deport) though I’m not positive on that. We just took the swatch to a green living store and had them scan it and they created the formula for their non-VOC/less toxic paint brand (American Pride). Hope that helps!

9. Paula says

Love the kitchen! I am planning on getting the same sink and Dishmaster and curious about the spout length – would you suggest the standard 8 inch or optional 10 inch spout? Thanks

Paula, I am not sure that Bronwyn or Greg will see your question. I would suggest that you call Dishmaster and talk to the folks there. In my experience, they are pretty helpful regarding questions like this. Good luck!

10. Peggy says

I love this kitchen! Its wonderul! It is so full of charm and character, from the countertops, to the cabinets, the warm with the cool, I love it all! thank you for sharing!

11. Peggy says

by the way, you are so right about the dishwasher installation. I had to replace the dishwasher and I have 50’s cabinets and there had to be alterations.