• Mid-century modern flooring from Amtico

mid-century-style-flooring-from-amticoCindy’s new kitchen and dining room floor is perfect for her mid-century modern home — and is a great solution for other renovators to consider. Cindy reports that her floor is Amtico Limestone Cotswold with Concrete Pale stripping (I will call them “weld rods.”) Amtico: That’s resilient floor tile — man-made stuff — and very versatile and functional. Cindy’s Cotswold pattern is now gone from the Amtico website, but have no fear, the company offers a good selection of other floor tiles with limestone or marble designs

A couple of points on how and why Cindy’s design is so terrific:

1. These 18″ tiles are a good scale for her open-concept floor plan.
    2. Notice carefully how the tiles were laid – I’m sure there’s a word for this kind of layout – (help, anyone?).
    3. Within each column, the tiels are at 90-degrees to each other.
    4. And last, the limestone design adds subtle pattern which is punctuated by that concrete weld rod. A great way to manage this large space.

One warning: Cindy says that the contractor may have used too much adhesive, because it bubbles up along those “grout/weld rod” lines and makes them hard to clean.

Thanks again, Cindy – you give me endless material for the blog – and terrific, proven ideas for other renovators of 50s, 60s and 70s homes.

• Get our retrolicious free newsletter.

Comments

1. gavin hastings says:

Cindy- Who did you work with? I know that American Rug in Holyoke offers Amtico…but when I ask about it-most flooring dealers have no idea what I am talking about! Your floor looks great.
      Amtico offers so many styles and finishes- I love your house.

2. Pam-
      That is a brick lay or staggered pattern. ( The tiles don’t have to be brick shaped to be put down that way. )
      And Cindy- agreed, your house looks great!
      Happy Monday!

3. The tile layout is called a “running bond”. A “stacked bond” is when the grout lines match up, like a grid.

4. Oh, I just logged on and saw my floor! That was a nice surprise! I worked with Interstate Custom Kitchens in Chicopee, MA….they did most of my kitchen and I liked working with them because they were nice people first and foremost, they listened to what I said I wanted, and lastly, I wasn’t obligated to buy appliances, flooring, or countertop there. However, it would have been a lot easier if I had done everything through them but…..control freak that I am….I had to do it my way ……..I digress! Interstate had just started working with Amtico when they were finishing up my project and I had not chosen flooring yet and loved the look of the Amtico…btw the tiles are 12″ x 12″ but feel larger because of the light color. It is somewhat tricky to keep clean, there is still adhesive that creeps up thru what Pam calls the “weld rods” or strip tiles between the squares (There is no grout between the tiles!). If I were going to do it over again I’d take a closer look at light colored cork, but for vinyl tile I’m pleased with the Amtico.

5. gavin hastings says:

Cindy…Surprise!!! It’s like being on TV!

Thanks for the info. Gavin

6. Your floor looks great, Cindy! The layout is perfect for such an open floor space.

I have Amtico tile, too. It’s black and white 12X12 tiles. I had the hardest time finding straight black and white — they all seemed to be marble or stone patterned. I did my kitchen a little pre-mid-mod style. I love the feel of the tiles and like CIndy says, there’s no grout. My tile guy told me I’d be sick of the pattern long before they ever wore out. :D

7. atomicbowler-dave says:

Cindy, I am curious if you know what kind of adhesive was used? I’d like to put that in my puzzle box of knowing for reference later.
      Thanks,
      Dave

8. Hi Dave – I don’t know what type of adhesive….you could try calling Amtico in NYC 800/268-4260. They have a pretty large showroom there.

9. What kind of materials are these? It’s hard to tell from the pics and I can’t seem to figure it out from the site. It’s kind of strange, actually, that I’m only finding colors and product names!

10. pam kueber says:

Lara Jane, I agree – the Amtico website leaves a lot to be desired in terms of conveying information, I spent a lot of time looking for just the kind of detail you are looking for. I ended up calling the stuff “resilient vinyl floor tile” – a generic term. Cindy and Patty, can you provide further clarification?

11. pam kueber says:

Lara Jane, this question was driving me nuts so I kept looking…. I found out on the Environment page that the flooring is made from PVC

12. LOL! I was planning on posting a comment about our potential flooring on this blog & voila the correct post!

In our 1949 bungalow, my favorite flooring choice is the LSI Healthcare HC22019 Silver with a LSI accent band (1.5″) of Sparkly chips SC17-Black. This will likely be paired with Minai (Cambria quartz) for the countertop.

The alternate choice is Arteca LA33 Linear Graphite with a 1.5 to 2″ strip accent of LA31 Linear Shale. This would be paired with the Williston (Cambria quartz) for the countertop.

The LSI product is more expensive than the Arteca which will be a factor we will consider as well.

13. gavin hastings says:

I too am disappointed in the Amtico website.

I first heard of it about 5 years ago from a cousin in Glasgow that said it was THE floor in Europe. At that time, I was amazed at the spectrum of finishes. Glass flloors…metallic floors…stone-look and wood. (the glass were fantastic…)

None of that seems to have made it to these shores. I am going back to the UK site and see if they still offer such a vast selection….

14. hi patty I used amtico in my mums house totally indestructable. It’s been down 6 years looks brand new . She is thinking about changing it for another style. I have been looking at the different styles and patterns can’t decide which one matches the colour scheme. Some of the wood effect patterns look good but getting a decission out of my mum is hard far too many choices.lol

15. We are in the middle of our kitchen renovation and just installed Amtico in Exposed Concrete. My husband wanted concrete counters, which I vetoed, so this was the solution. It looks like concrete, and has that industrial vibe, which we love, but it’s actually rather soft on the feet. We chose the 12×18 tiles, and ran the length of the tiles through the length of our galley-style kitchen in the offset brick pattern just like yours (I’m still not sure I made the right choice with the direction, but it’s too late now). After taking down half the wall that leads to the living room, opening up the doorway an additional 3 feet that leads to the dining room, and adding a skylight, it doesn’t feel like a galley kitchen anymore. Our contractor said this “luxury vinyl tile” is nearly indestructible. It’s commercial grade and I believe has either a 30 year or lifetime warranty (which is basically the same because we’ll be gone before then). The contractor loves the floor, which he’d never installed before, and is planning to grout it. I think that’s happening in the next few days. Today is finish the tile day…

• pam kueber says:

Sound terrific, Kiersten! I’d love to see before-and-after photos when you are ready for prime time!