Michael, conscientious savior of his “functionally perfect” pink bathroom

michael-in-his-pink-bathroom-235Lots of pledges over on Save The Pink Bathrooms lately. I’ve been following up with some, and getting photos to go with. Here’s Michael, who said in his pledge:

My little ranch-style house was built in 1958. I bought it in 1998 and the main bathroom was PINK. For 11 years I debated about whether to get rid of the pink. Well, it will be saved partly due to procrastination but also because it is in perfect condition. The grout and tile (except floor) look like they were installed yesterday. I cannot, in good conscience, demolish something that is functionally perfect.

I’m always curious to know how folks find the Save The Pink Bathrooms site (and this one, too). Michael told me, “A friend came over for Christmas and saw my pink bathroom.  She is a fan of them and forwarded your site to me via Facebook.” Cool. 🙂

Comments

1. Cindy says

Michael, that is one very good friend who introduced you to Retro Renovation! Welcome! Your bathroom is beautiful…love that pink!

2. Maggie says

I am so jealous too! That bathroom is really cool. I have a 1958 ranch also but my tile is all white. Rare for 1958 I guess. But I have pink curtains and shower curtain to get the retro feel. Glad you kept it.

3. TappanTrailerTami says

Michael, that is a great bathroom, and I think it speaks volumes of you personally and your self confidence level! Too many men (and a lot of women too) would have just immediately ripped out all that great tile work, whether they had a design plan to replace it with or not. Real men love pink! Congrats on procrastinating long enough to recognize the true value in your pink bathroom. Enjoy 🙂

4. genjenn says

So delighted you’re keeping the pink bathroom. It’s lovely and so full of potential. There are many great posts on this site about how to tone down the pink. For example, taupe or grey are great accent colors (instead of white) that bring sophistication and elegance to the pink. Add tailored accessories, plush, rich towels and good lighting, too. You’ll have a handsome bathroom that is gorgeous and enviable instead of just pink.

5. david i says

I had the same bathroom situation when I bought my 1940 Ranch a number of years ago in Los angeles The wall tile was perfect but the flor was cracked and worn. I installed seagrass on the bathrom floor and it looked great (and cheap) untill I had the floor retiled in pink/salmon a few years later. What a difference

6. Greg says

The pink & white bathroom is fantastic. It would be fun to introduce some chocolate brown towels for a Neapolitan look. I am pink with envy!

7. Carl says

My wife and I have a pink bathroom in our 1951 house. Retro is fun, and I know more people will begin to see the value in restoring these mid-century homes correctly when they see your bathroom. Think pink! I am glad to see it has survived!

8. Michael says

What a great site….I grew up in a house with a blue bathroom (built in 1963). It wasn’t powder blue or light blue, but teal blue. I’ve never seen another in such a shade of blue and my siblings and I still mention the unique color. Great site…Go Pink…blue, green, yellow….any color !!

9. susan says

My bathroom is very similar – pink tile wall, pink tub, pink sink, and pink toilet plus white vanity and white tile floor – all in perfect condition. Need to update the vanity top though – it’s a molded yellowish material with stains. Would it be totally inappropriate to put in a granite vanity top? Could pull together the pink with the beiges and browns from towels and shower curtain. If not granite, then what? Would love to hear opinions!

Susan, I have identified a number of laminates that would work. See kitchens/countertops section. If you want solid surface I like the look of that Caestarstone white blizzard or whatever it’s called. Carrara marble – real deal or laminate – also might work aesthetically.

• Mary Elizabeth says

Susan, granite is SO 1990s and may be out in a couple of years. We were advised when redoing our kitchen and bath that the expense of granite would not be recouped if we resold the house. You could put in a vanity top made of Formica, which fits in with everything from 1950s to the present. You can also scrape off the old material and glue the new Formica on.

• Carol says

Use quartz or a recycled glass and concrete material. Both look similar to terrazzo, the latter more so. Quartz comes in white and Lowe’s has prefab countertops with a square edge that looks great! They do have a built in undermount sink though. They run a little over $100.00 per linear foot. the 48 inch was about 450.00. They come in at least 3 different sizes. A great option for little money as opposed to having a professional replace everything. This would only involve a good plumber if you don’t do plumbing.

10. Mary Elizabeth says

Hi, Michael. One reason your bathroom looks so great is all the white balancing the pink. You can get a pink and white ticking shower curtain at Country Curtains. The tile on the floor can be regrouted and reglazed by a tile expert for less than what it would cost to rip it up. That’s my next step in my pink bathroom.

11. Marion Hulton says

I also have pink tiles on the walls and little light inlaid pink tiles set in concrete. I know that was the 50’s. The house was built in 54. After reading some of the comments I thought I’d keep the pink on the walls but want to do something with the floor. Can the floor be painted. I have a bath fitter tub and I thought if I put down a new floor it might be too high next to the tub.
    Any ideas?