Ralph Lauren aging glaze for wallpaper and wood

Okay, so here is the bottom line: If you have an old house, why would you want things to look brand spanking *today* new? You’re not fooling anyone. The outside of your house is old, the trees are old, the neighborhood is old. Putting in sleek and shiny new new new is kind of like living in retirement community, getting a major facelift, but everything else… still sags. Don’t fight ’em, join ’em: Those aren’t wrinkles, they are patina. Now, this may be the craziest extreme to go to yet, but if you are putting up new vintage-style wallpaper, why not take the additional time to give it some immediate patina? You can do it with Ralph Lauren’s Faux Aging Glaze, which I believe is sold at Home Depot. I’m not saying you have to go so far as “smoke” or “tobacco” — I’m not sayin’ *dirty* — but “sun fade” and “tea stain” might be just right. I think I am going to try sun fade in my blue bathroom this year. The glaze also can be used on woodwork — and looks like a very cool way to age bright white cabinetry, in particular. That’s maybe more of a country look than we normally are after, but cool, nonetheless. Paneling? Could be very interesting, too.

Comments

1. Dix says

Sorry, but I hate faux aging. Old looked new 60 years ago, so why shouldn’t it look new again? It will get old fast enough just being lived in.

yeah, i realize this idea may be controversial. i will say, though, that the brite white background of my otherwise new, lovely vintage-style wallpaper, has always looked a little too brite for me. i will do tests to tone it down just a wee bit. p.s.: no “hate” here, please — we say “not my cup o’ tea” 🙂 haha not my cuppa tea-stain, get it?

2. Virginia says

Way back when (early ’90’s) Lynette Jennings featured a homemade version on her show (don’t judge! it really introduced me to design concepts). I forget what was in it, but it might be Google-able.

i tried it out on some screaming yellow wallpaper I had in the entry of a rental and it worked like a charm to tone it down to tolerable levels.

I think they called it “glazing” back in 90’s and in the 70’s it was “antiquing”. In the 1800’s it was “grain painting”. I guess Ralph Lauren got this new old trend before Michael Adler.

4. Jen8 says

That technique works great on painted furniture and cabinets. It adds dimension and contrast. I probably wouldn’t do it to the millwork of a house but sure would (and have) on my flea market furniture rehabs. I just use minwax stain or diluted acrylic artist paint. If my current kitchen cabinets had some detail instead of being slab fronts, I would glaze them in a heartbeat.

5. Darlahood says

The “Tobacco” ones remind me of the HOURS my Dad and I spent scrubbing the nicotine off the walls in my grandparent’s house before we could paint. Why would anyone want to recreate that awful yellowed look? Blech… 😛

Interesting concept. I’m still in love with “Views of Paris” wallpaper (see: http://www.fschumacher.com/search/ProductDetail.aspx?sku=2705780 ) which is one of the few remaining wallpapers created in 1948 that is still being produced. My problem is that it is very stark (and did anyone mention expensive?) so haven’t made the big leap. (I’ve been oogling it for over 2 years ~ isn’t that willpower?) My interior designer has suggested coating it with paint and applying it in the rumpus room. I just can’t fathom painting it!

ooooh, Maureen, I’ve never seen this one. I will have to feature it. LOVE. What else do you know about wallpapers around since 1948???? email me!

With some paint technique research (the library usually has some simple to complex books on it) you can use simple materials (some of which you may already have on hand) to get the Ralph Lauren looks. Aging can be done just by coating with varnish (oil based). Be careful about a water based product going over some wallpapers. A simple glaze may be safe but if the paper gets too saturated and said paper is not on really well, the paper can lift or bubble. Always test these products in an inconspicuous area so that all that money spent on paper doesn’t go down the toilet. If it’s old, already existing wallpaper, be aware that any oils from the air or hands that is on it will create adhering difficulties.

just a little fyi

8. Daniel p says

I have clients that love the aged look on cabinets. they have a coat of white paint now, can any one tell me the proper proccedure for glazed look?