Upholstered bedspreads for your mid-century modern bedroom

UPDATE April 12, 2012: The style is right – but the fabric is not. Touch of Class seems to have discontinued their antique satin fabric, you can only get this in faux suede now. I don’t really like that stuff. But you can always order a swatch and see for yourself…I don’t know of any other alternatives (sans custom) for this style of bedspread….

Snaps to Sablemable at No Pattern Required for finding the best source yet (I think) for bedspreads with a true mid-century look — quilted, very fitted, satin-y.  Touch of Class has the style in 6 colors, available for all bed sizes — and including twins that look like they are straight of the Dick Van Dyke Show — and, daybeds. Look at any catalog from about 1955 on, I’d say, and this sort of slubbed satin, uphostered and welted bedspread was ubiquitous. They have additional colors in microfiber, if you want to split the difference between style-decades. Mid-century style bedspreads and daybeds at Touch of Class.

Comments

1. Cindy says

You know I love mid century style….. but I’ll admit that quilted bedspreads are one of the things that I’m not going to incorporate into my home! Yes, there were some things about the era that should stay there! 🙂

2. TappanTrailerTami says

I really like quilted/boxed bedspreads, but LOVE the Majesty Grande flounced bedspread. Flounced bedspreads are the only way to go for those of us rooted more firmly in the 40’s glam look! Very reminiscent of the hollywood glamour era when flounced (usually satin) bedspreads were all the rage!

Great finds………

My parents had this style bedspread when I was growing up and I remembered everything slid off of it – including small children! I must have one – or two.

I’ve been looking for a bedspread just like this! Robin’s egg blue to match my wallpaper with those corners as our bedroom is so small a regular corner sticks out too much. Thanks!

Found an ad for ones similar to these in an Australian Home Beatuiful magazine from 1955 – featuring a wonderful illustration of a Manhattan style mid-century modern bedroom and balcony and stating “in Manhatten Penthouse, 5th Avenue mansions, and Long Island estates, tailored quilted spreads are all the rage”.

I had one in a lilac colour when I was little and I wonder what happened to it!

I LOVE those type of bedspreads! I have a few vintage 40s ones…a green satin, a blue satin with curtains and 2 atomic ones. Those modern examples are really great.

7. Sandra says

Pam-

I just happened to be looking for bedspreads and happened on this post. The note added April 2012 says Touch of Class no longer carries these. I found that besides the faux suede (which I hate too!) they also have it in polyester called Color Classics. They have them in oversized as well! The website says you can request a free swatch, to check out the fabric/color. Just thought I would pass along.

8. Shawna says

I know I am late to the party, but brylanhome.com has a non-tailored version that is reversible, polyester, and diamond-quilted. Matching pillow shams are available, too.

9. natasha loop says

Update to your update. I checked back on Touch of Class and the satin upholstered bedspread has been revived! It’s also offered in some pretty fine retro colors including aqua mist and golden bronze. At the time I checked it out, a queen size was 179 bucks.