Willa’s Wild Life – Baby It’s You

Grabba second cuppa and watch this wonderful little mid-mod Saturday morning cartoon, sent to use by Jill, who writes:

Hey Pam –
Check out Willa’s Wild Liffe cartoon on Saturday mornings – it’s about a little girl who lives with her dad in a mid-century house – starburst clock, triple window door, very cool. It is on NBC and originally from Canada.

Comments

1. Cindy says

So adorable! I feel like a kid sitting here with coffee, homemade chocolate chip cookies and Willa! Found out my cable company shows it at noon so I might become a regular. Great way to start the weekend…thanks, Jill!

Hi Cindy, You know, I watched it again — and it really has some great inspiration for mid-century colors and the like!

2. RetroSandie says

This is really cute! I LOVE the house, furnishings, and colors. It’s amazing that there’s a cartoon of this design. Love it! Thanks!

3. magnarama says

Very sweet!

The other day I was in a house where a young boy was watching a PBS cartoon show called “Sid the Science Kid”, and I noticed the family in that show has a mid-mod house too — their kitchen table had Heywood Wakefield dogbone chairs.

And has anyone else noticed the house of the family in the new network sitcom “The Middle”? It’s very mid-mod in a sort of neglected way — not purposefully, more like they just can’t afford to update it. Banister-style room dividers, vintage tile, a staggered triple-window front door. Interesting choices by the set decorators.

Clearly there are a lot of mid-mod fans working in the entertainment biz!

What a fun treat! The little girl reminds me of the girl in the book “I Can Fly” illustrated by Mary Blair. I think a lot of contemporary animators, graphic artists and the like are influenced by illustrators, artists and designers of the mid-century. Just take a look around flickr and blogs, and you’ll see this a lot.

Thanks for sharing this fun cartoon! I’ll be keeping an eye out for it so my kids (ahem!) can watch it.

5. Janis says

I saw this cartoon about a year ago and love it! I’m very into retro but didn’t know where to get info on it, this blog is great, love her!

6. atomicbowler-Laura says

I just love it! All of it. I wish I lived in that house. And how progressive for the time to have a single dad raising a little girl.

7. Moo Kahn says

It’s my favorite show now… and I’m 50. The way it’s drawn, colors, mid-century decorating, the 50’s-60’s vibe music (Jazz guitar and vibes, literally) – and it’s a great message for kids (and adults) Love it !

8. Adrian Thatcher says

Hi Pam, thanks for posting this. It’s great to see so many positive comments. I am actually the lead designer and Art Director on Willa’s Wild Life and I am the proud new owner of a daytime Emmy for outstanding individual achievement in Art Direction. I’m glad you like it.
    Cheers!

Congratulations, Adrian! Well deserved! I need to post another episode. Hey, this Saturday morning! Do you have a particular favorite?

Thank you for the kind words Pam. Willa sets the Stage and Willa in the Wilderness are two great eps that come to mind. But I love them all. I wish that I had stumbled upon your site during the development of this show it would have been a great help, there is a lot of great reference here. When I developed the look for this show I didn’t over reference things. I wanted it to be what I thought the 70’s looked like based off of faint memories.(I’m only 35) An interpretation of sorts. I have posted a few Willa BGs on my Blog. and will be posting more soon. Please feel free to have a look. athatcher.blogspot.com

10. Judy Nuckols says

I’m in my 50’s and still love cartoons. My faves are Jane and Dragon, Little Women, and Swiss Family Robinson. I started to watch the WWL last year. I love the 50’s-sounding theme song. It looks like it’s more in the 50’s.