Kerri’s atomic bathroom vanity – before & after

Here is the latest gift from the retro decorating gods: Karen spotted the pink metal vanity (above, left) on craigslist… she sent the link to me, knowing that I am a super-fan of vanity designs… I posted it … then heard immediately from Kerri, who had coinkadinkally renovated the nearly identical vanity — with terrific results.  Kerri wrote:

We found the same cabinet (as the one that you have posted from Craigslist in Vancouver) at a salvage yard in Boulder, Colorado .  It issteel with glass doors.  We stripped the paint off the entire cabinet.  We frosted the doors with a starburst pattern similar to our vintage light fixture and painted the metal (not the chrome trim) turquoise. It turned out fantastic.

Yup, Kerri, the vanity is just fabulous. Kerri explains how they frosted the glass:

I made a paper stencil using a ruler and a protractor which we taped on to the doors.  Then we sprayed it with frosted glass spray which is just like using spray paint.  We had to use a razor blade to clean up some of the edges b/c the tape did not hold the stencil perfectly flat along some of the edges. Looking back, I would have used spray glue or some other way of holding the stencil on.

And she adds:

…We raised the vanity to kitchen cabinet height (you can see the turquoise blocks between the chrome legs and the cabinet) since my husband and I are both tall.

Kerri says her house was built in 1956 — “not a bungalow, not a ranch.” There was nothing much original remaining when they moved in, and they waited eight years to remodel — a big deal that included the kitchen, too. She’s taking more photos to share with us soon. Thanks, Kerri!

Comments

1. Amanda says

Just an FYI – they make special adhesives to put on the back of stencils so you can easily adhere & remove stencils while also preventing any of the paint from bleeding underneath the stencil.
    Some are applied by brush and others by daubers.

Ask at your craft store – it really is an invaluable tool.

2. Kerri says

The sink top is glass. We tried to find a vintage sink that worked but is was hard to find the right size and find a countertop material that worked. We found the perfect size glass top on the Home Depot website, and the color looks great with the backsplash tiles.

3. Alice says

Wow! wonderful job! and it looks like we can see a bit of the shower in the mirror…nice repeated use of the ModWalls tiles!
    Hurry up and send photos. Also, it’s an inspiration to hear that it has taken 8 years…now I don’t feel so bad about being in ours for two and not changing much yet!

What a gorgeous focal point in your bathroom! Good for you that you could see its potential and made it happen! I picked out that exact same Mod Walls tile (Big Sur) to use in my kitchen but since we’re still in the demo phase, I don’t have it up yet. It was a treat to see it looking fabulous in your bathroom!

5. Kristen says

That’s awesome. I’m interested in knowing what you used to strip the paint and if you have any tips on how you repainted.
    Thanks!

6. Colleen says

That’s the same vanity I have! The top is formica on mine – it looks like they’ve swapped out for glass on the re-mod. I remember one from when I was young but hadn’t seen another until we bought this house. I like the way this is re-done. Great colors and I love the graphic element. I’m not sure exactly what we’re going to do with the bathrooms yet. They’re in great shape, so it’ll be awhile before we do anything. But this is inspirational.

hey just to clarify: Kerri’s vanity came with glass originally. she adding the frosting. it seems pretty clear (pun) that this style of vanity came with several door options.

7. Cindy says

Yikes, everytime I read things like this I want to quit my day job and become a creative, retro craftsperson. Awesome job!

That’s a swinging vanity restoration! Great job!

fyi: I’ve posted some of the material samples for the upcoming kitchen reno on my blog! It’ll start May 10! I’m on the countdown!

9. Carol says

This is one of the best “re-do’s” I’ve ever seen here! That turqouise is a gorgeous hue, I love the mini-tile backsplash strip and I had never heard of frosted glass spray until now. You did a great job on those doors! Kudos!