Oven and gas cooktop for a mid-century modern kitchen: ala vintage Thermador

Researching kitchen appliances, I spotted this Smeg “Piano” built-in oven and gas range top. The Smeg Piano built-in oven immediately reminded me of the look of vintage Thermador – even the oven featured in Kristen’s Easter photograph yesterday. The Smeg Piano gas cooktop (also available for LP), meanwhile, has a UFO ready-for-blast off look. These two appliances have exteriors of polished stainless steel — I think that means just like the stainless steel countertop edging I found at New York Metals. If you are renovating your kitchen and need new appliances suitable for a mid-century look, I think these look like real contenders. Available from various retailers. Oven starts at about $2,100, 5-burner cooktop at just over $1,065, based on prices I spotted at A.J. Madison online.

Comments

Smeg?? LOL

Why don’t the marketing people do a Google search, at least, when they think they have come up with a great new product name? That one is worse than iPad.

Yes, I are a geek.

2. Diana of Mt. Lebanon, PA says

These are awesome. I have not been able to find any retro cooktops or built-in ovens from other manufacturers. Are there any?

I wish we would have known about these before we put in our new countertop and new cooktop. I think the sizes of the Smeg cooktops wouldn’t match up with the hole in our countertop.

3. Lauren says

Looks like a great option for me (in the event I can’t find a vintage yellow or chrome one). I just wish they had provided a larger image for the websites to display.. i want to examine it! LOL. :)
    ~Lauren D.

Rebecca, I am not 100% sure because I have never spec’d one out myself – but in my 1970s kitchen (that I replaced) there was a two-door cabinet underneath the cooktop. I think there was a drawer, but it was a fake front…. I think.

• says

My mother has her original brushed steel wall oven in her 1957 kitchen and underneath are very roomy cabinets with double doors. They are as deep as the oven so that’s a lot of good storage space. There are more cabinets above where she keeps things like Pyrex baking dishes.

Next time I visit her I’m going to ask if I can take a picture of her wall oven.

4. CindyD says

According to Wikipedia [if you dare trust :) ] – “Smeg is an Italian manufacturer of upmarket domestic appliances. SMEG was founded by Vittorio Bertazzoni in 1948 as Smalterie Metallurgiche Emiliane Guastalla (metal enameling factory) in the village of Guastalla, Reggio Emilia, Italy. The company is still in the private ownership of the Bertazzoni family, with Roberto Bertazzoni the current chairman and CEO. The company remains headquartered in Guastalla.”

Love the look of the oven and cooktops!

5. gavin hastings says

Thank God it does’t add ANOTHER clock to my kitchen!

A great look and seems to be the only one left making a top-of the-line 24″ wall oven.

I agree with you, wholeheartedly, Gavin. Add to that: A clock that needs to be reset every time the power blips up here in these northern parts.

• Alice says

Hi Rebecca – under the oven is also a two door cabinet which is where I store my toaster, rice cooker, blender and mixer and large pasta dishes…you know…stuff I NEVER use and that would take away from the look of my kitchen!

6. Sherri says

Thank you Pam, these cook tops & ovens are definitely cool enough to replace
    what i will eventually need. The name is funny though,used by my brothers,google smegma!

Thank you so much for this post. We are planning our kitchen remodel and are heavily leaning towards The Big Chill style fridge and dishwasher…However, we also have a Nutone Cooktop paired with a black, swiss, double wall oven…The double oven is a bit too small for us and is not original to our 1959 ranch. Looks like it is circa 1987? And it doesnt fit most of our pans…The cooktop while very cool, is not fully functioning, the griddle no longer works and all the electric burners are lopsided. We want to convert to gas and have been having a hard time finding a cooktop that goes with the rest of the kitchen. This will be PERFECT!!!

8. Rene says

I have an authentic Thermado wall oven that looks very similar to the Piano. We took it out of a house built in 1956. It works fine and is in good shape. I’ve been storing it for two years and its time for a new home. Hit me up if you have a use for it. I’m in Jacksonville, FL.

9. Evan says

We are in the process of restoring a 1948 ranch style home. The kitchen is currently equipped with coppertone electric cooktop and built-in oven. I prefer gas, so we are on the search for replacements. These look very good to me, but I don’t care for stainless steel. I wonder if they are available with enamel finishes. I would go for a vintage set, however they are just not to be found in gas, and my husband is not in favor of “re-installing” and old appliance anyway, even if we did fine a great set in say..aqua?
    I don’t think the coppertone pieces are the original anyway, so I don’t feel bad about letting them go. They work, but I’m not crazy about the color…so out they go.