United we stand, on that fine line between genius and insanity, precipitously balanced on a pink faux fur MIB Counsel bathroom scale

Edwin writes:

Pam,

Okay, I am really getting out of control. Check out what I just bought. I think I am losing my mind, lol, though I am having a blast losing it.

Edwin in Charlotte

Oooooh, and a 32-bids-bidding-war. That is too exciting. I have never had one of those before. Well, I respond to Edwin, we are Archeologists. Keep fighting the good fight, hunting the good hunt, and oh yeah, NEVER EVER EVER stand on a bathroom scale, vintage or new. Very dangerous.

Item Description
This is a vintage 1964, unused, hot pink w/ faux fur “Counselor” bathroom scale by Brearley. It has been sealed in the box for over over 40 years until it was removed for photos. This is a rare find that you won’t find anywhere else in this condition, and I only have one! Don’t miss out!

Size: 11.25″ x 9.25″ x 2.5″

Condition: Unused (new). Small 1/16″ paint chip near the bottom left corner – see photo below. Comes with the original box.

Comments

1. Amy Hill says

Now all he needs is the matching fake fur bath mat & toilet tank and seat cover set!

This is just adorable! You really scored with this one!

2. CindyD says

How fun! I love the color, but Pam is right – this must be kept ‘under glass.’ Scales are way too dangerous to let loose where someone might actually use them! Especially the ones with fur 🙂

3. TappanTrailerTami says

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a “happier” looking scale! Maybe it was designed to look extra happy so as to not completely and thoroughly depress the user when the number comes up 🙂

Safer to just not use it rather than testing my happy theory……………..why take the chance!

4. microsonic says

Wow, that is some kind of neat! I just weighed myself on my Mamie pink Counselor, has a stand and a T shaped handle near the glass panel. If it is correct, it indicates I lost fifteen pounds.

5. Gavin Hastings says

I love it.
    I hate it
    I love it
    I hate it

No-I REALLY liove it.

It is so OTT that I have no choice to surrender to its charms!
    If I were you, I’d be dancing around the house to Kylie Minogues’ “I Should Be So Lucky” over and over and over!

• Gavin Hastings says

Really….I’m playing it on Youtube for you right now.

And dreaming about your Smithsonian-worthy treasure.

6. Keith says

When I was a kid, I remember seeing these scales and thought “Wow 250lbs must be impossibly heavy!”. Of course I probably only weighed 60lbs at the time!

Neat vintage scale!

The fact that that thing even exists in the first place restores my faith in humanity. Somebody actually thought of putting fake fur on a scales. And somebody actually thought up that color. Oh, Rockford, Illinois, the home of Cheap Trick. That explains why something that cool exists.

8. Gavin Hastings says

According to The Inflation Calculator, this treasure only cost you 9.99……in 1970 dollars.

A great score and a great deal!

• Pencils says

Hey, that’s our upstairs tub and toilet! Except ours are yellow. But ours aren’t going anywhere, we love ’em! (Our sink is different, the kind with chrome legs.)

• TappanTrailerTami says

Wow, not the response I expected – it appears the remodeling contractor posted that ad, here is what he sent back:

“these people are in their late eighties and have been in the house since it was new !!!!!! they don’t even understand the fuss !!!!!”

So, the late eighty year old house owners no longer want pink!