Vintage style hooked rugs for your 1930s or 1940s home

Thanks to reader Stacey, who emailed a tip that reminded me about a great source for vintage-style hooked rugs for a prewar home: Dash & Albert Rug Company. This company, which is part of the Annie Selke / Pine Cone Hill empire, is based in Pittsfield, Mass. – the next town over from me. And, the Pine Cone Hill outlet is about a mile from my house, here in Lenox. So, I’ve seen these rugs in person — and assure you, they are quite luscious. Even if you are totally devout about mid-century, these make you wish you had a house built in the 1930s or 1940s so you could put them in every room..
I am particularly a fan of the Gypsy Rose pattern — I have this thing for crazy quilts and patchworks. But oh my goodness, I do love that scalloped edge rug at the top, too. You can buy Dash & Albert rugs at various retailers, or online. If you’re ever in the Berkshires, be sure to check out the outlet store in Pittsfield  — I think that sometimes they have big sales…

You can also find some of these on Amazon:

*affiliate link
To launch slide show, click on the first thumbnail. Move forward or back via the arrows under each image.

Comments

1. Amy Hill says

Now, this is what melts my butter…Cottage Style! My house is a small one built in 1945 and it just speaks for stuff like this!

Love the ones with roses, especially!

2. jkaye says

I think my heart lies in this era too. One of these rugs is needed in front of my old Hoosier cabinet. It currently has a wool braided rug in front of it, but the featured one would be so much better.

3. Tera says

Perfect, just what my late 40’s home needs. This is where my paychecks will be going this summer. I had no idea this place existed either. Yay!!!! Retro Renovation!

4. Gina Black says

I think these rugs would work great in a mid-century home (50’s, 60’s, etc.) since people then had lots of furnishings that were older than their houses. It’s only in ads that we see things that are all from the same time period.

Watch estate sales too… While everyone is looking UP all distracted by furnishings and paintings and lamps and the like, be sure that you look DOWN at the rugs underfoot. They get overlooked, I find, and can often be snapped right up, cheap.

5. Marsha says

I am VERY late to this party, but I love hooked rugs! And while the new ones are beauts, if you’re buying vintage rugs, inspect them carefully. I used to have a double handful of rugs that were hooked during the late 30’s-mid 40’s. It took years for me to admit that they were completely falling apart and *gasp*, trash most of them. The ones I had were hooked on tobacco canvas, and would tear and rip if you looked at them wrong. Now I have to learn how to make them myself.

6. Allyson Young says

I saw a rug on this blog but it didn’t say the name or where I can learn more about it. It has a diamond pattern with pink and blue flowers, the background is green. Where do I find out more about it?

Thanks

Alie

7. Toni says

I attempted to find these rugs at Albert & Dash using the link in the story. I didn’t find any of them. I DID find some on eBay. For a price. Too big of a price for me but someday………

8. Toni says

Yes, that link is the same as the link in the story. Those rugs are not there any more or hiding too hard for me to find. I really need something older than 1960. My house was built in 1880 and I prefer the older things; 1940ish or older.