A basement shuffleboard for Dave & Sarah

What self-respecting Retro Renovator can do without a vinyl tile shuffleboard in their basement. Dave and Sarah show the way: These two industrious homeowners used my tip about shuffleboard tiles still available from Armstrong — and installed one in their fabulous 50s style basement renovation in progress. Dave writes:

Hey, just wanted to give you an update. Late last year, you helped my wife and me look up classic tile patterns for our basement. Due to the fact that we could only find 12×12 tiles, we thought the patterns wouldn’t really work for our space. However, we did take one of your suggestions to heart. Here are our picts from the newly installed floor! Hope you like them, and feel free to post if you care to.

Thanks again
-Dave and Sarah

Thank you for sharing these photos, Dave and Sarah. What a great project. My husband was looking over my shoulder as I prepared this post. Now he wants the shuffleboard for the unfinished part of our basement, too.

I also have a note into Dave and Sarah asking where they found that knotty pine paneling — that looks like a new installation to me, and I love a dub dub it. I have a vintage minty shuffleboard set, picked up at an estate sale, languishing in my garage. Do you guys want to take it off my hands? I am in a clean-and-purge mode. Well, my brain is in one… not to much real progress yet.

Wow, this is going to be one fantabulous basement, don’t you think? Can I suggest a complete set of barrel furniture to go with? My dream… but, I recognize that Dave and Sarah likely already have a plan up their sleeves as I spy with my little eye a pole lamp waiting to shine its light on something groovy. Click here for another story on 30 possible patterns to combine VCT tiles.

Renovate Safe. Finally, readers, remember that if you considering stripping or removing OLD vinyl tile: It may contain asbestos. Consult with professionals regarding the proper safety and environmental precautions. In my sidebar, I have links to EPA websites where you can do some initial homework, but again: Renovate Safe, Consult with Experts.

Comments

1. Atomic Bowler - Dave says

Wow!!!!
    What an awesome rumpus room in the making!
    I love those shuffleboards, the church my Granddad ministered at when I was a kid had 3 or 4 of them in the “fellowship hall” (also the scene of the potlucks and rummage sales). I want! I want!
    Love the red border, and that fireplace is the schizzle! Nice Job!
    Dave

2. Heidi Swank says

Ooooo! That is so cool! I’m trying to convince my husband that we need on in our backyard, since we don’t have a basement to put one in!

3. Guy H. says

I love it! Are there any specifications to the size of a basement shuffleboard court?

I am thinking of painting one in my basement. I recently bought a vintage shuffleboard set and I have been playing on a makeshift chalk court.

• Guy H. says

I went ahead and painted my basement shuffleboard court this weekend:

For anyone else who wants to try and make one this way, here is how I did it:

Step 1: I marked out a large rectangle on the floor with painters tape. I painted it with some regular paint I had leftover:

Step 2: I marked out the scoring areas with tape. I used an image of a court as a guide. This was much easier than I thought it would be. I am sure the dimensions are not perfect, but this is for fun with friends – not the olympics.
        Because my basement is narrow on the one side (due to an office and the water heater & airconditioner unit) I only planned on putting a starting line on that side to shoot the shuffleboard pucks to the scoring area (on the more open area.)
        However the first scoring zone was so easy to mark I thought I would make one on each side (even though we still only shoot from that side.)
        I thought for decorative reasons it looked better to have both scoring triangles.

Step 3: I got some other leftover white paint and painted the triangles. The number and letter stencils were available at Home Depot.

Step 4: THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT STEP. I bought some concrete sealer at Home Depot and “painted the court with it.” Its a milky substance that dries clear. I got the “wet look” high gloss version. Without this stuff the paint would easily scratch off when you play shuffleboard.
        I put down 3 coats of sealer and if I start to see any wear in it in the future I will re-apply.

4. kristinski says

I love it. I wondered if they gave any details as to the brand of tile and the color. I’m on the hunt for rediish tile! and I like the one they’ve chosen.

5. Tina says

Pam (and everyone!)…

This post comes at a great time and the basement looks great. We are currently in the process of having our entire basement torn apart because of a leaking water pipe. Because this is a plumbing problem this time, our insurance is covering it. But we’ve had rain come in before, so I really don’t want to replace the carpet they just tore out with more carpet–or anything that water can get into or under.

My question… will vinyl or linoleum be OK in a basement that’s prone to wetness and/or dampness? We’ve looked at concrete staining, too (so far only online). Anyone have experience with that?

Tina, you need to check the manufacturer’s specifications for each material to determine if it can be safely laid down on the slab. That said, it’s my general understanding that VCT is good for such locations. Again, though – check to see what the manufacturer says – and warrants.

6. Naomi Bee says

I just bought a house with an original shuffleboard on the basement floor…just like in those photos. I think it’s original with the house. Too cool…were these mainly from the 60’s?? And yes, the basement has cedar woodwork on the walls everywhere 🙂

7. Kelly Wittenauer says

These are to cool! I remember when I first saw & played shuffleboard. On a July 1969 vacation to Florida, every motel had at least one court. Also remember Dad pulling off the highway and hustling us out of the car to watch for a silver streak in the sky – part of which would soon land on the moon!