Crossville 4″ hexagon tiles

Ever since I did this story about Cindy’s pink bathroom, I have had hexagon floor tiles — especially the larger 4″ x4″ or 4-1/4″ x 4-1/4″ size — on the brain. Smaller hex tiles were popular earlier in the 20th century — the are favorite for Victorian bathroom renovations. But, for mid-century homes, I think that the larger hex floor tiles are more appropriate, if you are going for authenticity. Now I have finally researched them. And my first source up is: the Crossville Savoy 4″ x 4″ hexagon tile.

This photo (above) from Crossville’s website is not at all the design I’d have in mind… but you get another drift of how this stuff looks laid down onthe floor. Actually – I like the look of the “center” of the tile “rug” created above: Mixe the white, the linen and the cafe on the floor… then put either the cafe or linen as 4″ x 4″ SQUARE field tiles on the wall. Add retro color accents — like turquoise — and you have a bathroom that nicely bridges the old (hex’s and squares) with the new (yes: beige). I have nothing inherently against beige. One of my three bathrooms has rose beige field tiles purchased very happily and affordably from the local Home Depot.
The photo above is just to show you the fifth color – seamist – combined with white. I am not advocating this design for kitchen backsplashes. Only for bathroom floors.

Note: Even though Cindy’s high gloss pink hex tile floor is fabulous to look at (like my sister Jenni, above, who went to visit this bathroom along with me and Sumac Sue)  — I am not a big fan of glossy tile on floors. Too slippery – a safety issue, even. Do your own homework on this question, please, to decide what’s right for you.

One more thing: The old school hex floors did not have so much grout. But, methinks they were mud-set, not thin-set. Does anyone know FOR SURE whether you can thin-set with slim (rather than 1/4″) grout lines without risking some kind of quality debacle. Warning and Disclaimer: Even though I’m allowing reader thoughts on this question, Do Your Own Research, readers. I’m just curious what folks think they know about this question.
Link: Crossville Savoy hexagon 4″ x 4″ tile – Matte Finish here and Gloss Finish here Complete Catalog PDF here. Where to buy: I found this tile available at a number of online retailers by searching “Crossville Savoy hexagon tile.” Also check your local tile store. And, be sure to get samples first before making any big purchase decisions.

Comments

1. Alison says

I work for a tile distributor and showroom- you can definitely set hex tiles in a thinset mortar with any width of grout joint- 1/16″ and larger. I personally prefer smaller grout lines in the 1/8″ range. With smaller grout lines (under 1/8″), you need to use an unsanded grout, rather than regualr sanded floor grout.

2. gab18481 says

Thank you, thank you, thank you for this post! I have hex floor tiles in both of my bathrooms (pink and yellow) and I haven’t seen it nearly as much as the small mosaic tile floors in other homes.

3. jkaye says

I just got to tell Cindy that her bathroom is featured again — I was out walking my dog Daisy, and was all set to knock on her door when I saw her outside with her big golden retriever Deed. In her happy, laid back way, Cindy expressed delight that her bathroom is still making a statement. (Posted by the former Sumac Sue.)

4. Carol B. says

Maybe the woman with the hole in the middle of her pink tile floor can make a border of black tiles and add pink, and another color, hexagon tiles in the middle. Better than a hole!

CB

5. Zoocrewmom says

My husband and I are planning on renovating “his” bathroom and he loves the victorian look. Me, not so much. But I think the picture of the black and white bath may work for me!

6. Brent says

My wife and I are remodeling our bathroom and for some reason I had to have 4″ hexagons on the floor. After many phone calls i found a mosaic shop that would cut the tile for me. I liked this because we wanted to use a combination of crema marfil and emperor dark marble. The mosaic shop just needed to be able to find the 12 x 12 material for cutting. The other nice thing about having the tiles cut was that we used the crema material in a versaille pattern on the shower wall. Because the floor and the shower walls were cur from the same material, they matched perfectly. Sure we had some problems along the way, but I get a big smile every time that I walk into the bathroom!

Good luck,

Brent

• Ankhorite says

Oooh, Brent, I sure would like to see some photos of that!

You could email me AT-verizon-DOT-net if you don’t want to post them in public — I’d really like to see how this turned out.

Hope you will! :)

7. Lee says

I am just starting the process of re-tiling my cir. 1940 bathroom. The existing tile floor is white 4×4 squares set on the diagonal. Very cute for this bathroom. I don’t want to give up cuteness to replace with new. I found the Crossville line of tiles. I think the 4×4 hexagonal with matte finish will be a perfect replacement. Your photo gives me a good idea of the finished project!

8. Ami says

Where can I find about 25 white hexagonal 4 inch tiles to replace some cracked tiles in a bathroom.Please advise.

Ami, all my sources are listed right on the blog. Also see the category Bathrooms: Tile. Good luck.

Setting tile in wet mortar is essentially non existent. To be sure of a good job, with minimal risk of cracking, is to float the floor then use a modified thin set that has an additive that gives the cement a little flex. Small grout lines should not be a problem especially if you use the new epoxy grouts which by the way are very stain resistant also.
    Hope that helps,
    Pete

10. John says

I am looking for 4 1/4″ x 4 1/4″ hex. floor tile in white.
    I need about 20 tiles to replace some cracked tiles in my bathroom.Please advise.

We don’t sell anything here. If you are looking for replacements – your best bet is to contact World of Tile in Springfield, NJ. You will need to send a sample to color-verify.

11. Jennifer says

Hi All,
    B&W Tile (mentioned elsewhere on this site) sells the 4″ and the 2″ hex tile to match all 48 or more of their colors. They also sell all the borders and trim pieces that one could need to match. I’ve been working with them to match things on my bathrooms where I had 3″ hex tiles in yellow in bad condition and a brown bathroom and pink. I couldn’t find the 3″ tile, but they have a perfect match in yellow coated for floors in the 4″ hex. They, of course, also have it in all the other colors. I just called, asked them to send a price list then I browsed it, and called to ask for them to send me samples of the various colors I needed. For samples, they only charged shipping. Now I’m calling in my order. They have been very easy to work with.