Sonny & Cher – I Got You Babe – 1965

Sonny and Cher, circa 1965, to help set the mood for our week of 1960s colors and interiors. My oh my, what a blast from my past. I was born and raised in Southern California until I was 12. This stuff was totally the stuff of my childhood. My soul candy. Hippie at heart, at age 6, and always.

Comments

1. Peter in Jax says

Thanks for sharing this, Pam. What a wonderful trip down memory lane – to see Cher before her nose was….renovated. This made my day!

2. jkaye says

The song “I Got You Babe” always brings up a memory of sitting in a chair (maple colonial-style dining chair) listening to that song playing on the radio while my mom vacuumed pine needles from the big braided rug in our combination family room/dining room (which was wallpapered in a white/aqua/coral paper with a colonial motif). It was early January (1966, I suppose, since that song came out in 1965) and Mom was taking down Christmas decorations (cedar tree cut on grandpa’s farm, covered with Shiny Brites and silvery icicles). I would have been 10, and my mom 35. I was gloomy because of seeing the decorations come down, but was enjoying listening to such an intriguing song on the radio (mounted inside a maple colonial style stereo cabinet, which had been used to play Firestone Christmas albums throughout the holidays). This was in southern Ohio, definitely not as cool a place to be as Pam’s California locale. Mom still has the dining set, the stereo cabinet (nothing inside works anymore), the Firestone albums, and the Shiny Brites. Watching this video makes me realize what a weird mix of influences I was experiencing that day — the colonial-style furnishings my parents had chosen in the early 60s, harkening back to the country’s past, contrasted with the new musical sound of Sonny and Cher and other artists I might have heard on the radio that day. The times, they were a-changin’.

Wow. I had no idea that this song was circa 1965. I feel young! I recall seeing them sing it on the Sonny & Cher Show in the 1970s & Cher had much longer hair & no bangs! Love Sonny’s groovy vest in this one! LOL!

4. Elizabeth Mary says

Last weekend I I watched Rachel Zoe sell Sonny’s vests on QVC. Well, hers are faux fur and a bit longer, but she may have been inspired by him. Wonder if she knows that?

5. Gavin Hastings says

Let’s hurry up a decade and get to 70’s Cher!
    On The Sonny & Cher Show, she had 20 different hair-dos and Bob Mackey outfits in the course of an hour! Pam, I am sure you were a devoted veiwer…..

I remember thinking “Can’t they stay together for the good of the show???”

6. Jason says

Hello all,

Although I am a product of the 60’s and 70’s growing up, I never could realy understand the popular music of the times….being against authority/establishment…long hair…drugs…drugs…drugs….etc. Somehow, my musical tastes got “skewed” to 1930’s – 40’s big band/jazz and later that extended into th 1950’s. Once my 1960 Chevrolet Impala was rebuilt, I listened to 50’s rock n roll for a time, which was ok. Then I aksed myself what jazz artists were around in the 1950s? I was reintroduced to Fran Sinatra, Dean Martin and the Rat Pack and I new of June Christy, but had never listened much. BAM!!!! A WHOLE NEW WORLD opened up when I started looking for music! I was snapping my fingers and SWINGING, Baby! I just love pulling up to a stop light in my ’60 Inpala, my windows down blasting “Come Fly With Me” as people stare like it’s some weird sounds!!! Anyway……I actually do remember watching Sonny and Cher on tv as a kid. I was 8 years old in 1970. Good stuff.

That caveman vest was a staple in Sonny’s wardrobe. The stripy pants too. I’m glad they actually sang over the top of the playback rather than just lip syncing. That gives them a lot more credibility right there. Too bad the drummer couldn’t fake it better – he’s off in his own little musical world.

I adore Cher. Always have (I was 8 in 1965) and always will. I never miss a movie, interview or concert if Cher is involve. I fell in love with her hair and glamour in the early days and literally cried when the Sonny and Cher show ended. Today, I love her frankness, strength, and lasting power. Pam, thank for sharing – you couldn’t have picked a better 1968 inspirational piece.

9. Jeanne says

I, too, was 8 in 1965 and had an older sister who was in high school (she graduated in ’67). We shared the upstairs knotty pine bedroom and every morning my sister would play her 45 of I Got You Babe while getting ready for school. That song still reminds me of those times! My sister left for college after she graduated and never lived at home again, so those were fond memories for me.

p.s. I just helped my sister with an estate sale for her father-in-law up in Midland Michigan this weekend – of a 1959 household that hadn’t been redecorated since then! Mid Century colonial heaven! Anyway, I reminded my sister of her playing Sonny & Cher every morning. LOL