Mid century modern lattice from Acurio Latticeworks

mid century modern wood workAfter I wrote about Lynne and her vintage room divider, I got to poking around the internet looking for companies that made decorative panels that might be appropriate for mid century modern homes… and found my way to this company, Acurio Latticeworks, which has an intriguing product.

decorative latticemodern fencingmodern decorative latticedecorative lattice for a modern houseBasically, it seems that they take 3/8″ PVC panels and using computer controlled cutters, machine the panels into all kinds of designs — including ones that have a classic mid-mod look. Now, I was kind of skeptical at first, thinking the product might feel “cheesy” or “cheap”, but the nice marketing team actually cut me some 12″x24″ samples and mailed them to me for a look. I like them – they have a nice hand-feel… they are not “shiny” like vinyl fences (not my favorite thing), and they take paint.  Also, they said that if you didn’t want PVC, they could do them in MDF — which is going to be heavier, including to ship, but might be a better solution depending on the application.

lattice room dividerPrice:  1/4″  x  48″  x  96″  — PVC  — Any design,  White or Black   @   $68.00  per panel   (as of earlier this year, please check for update).

lattice used to decorate a gableWhat might I use these for? Well, first of all, I do think these design are more appropriate for a mid-century modern home — they have that modern, atomic feel. In my colonial-ranch, for example… I don’t see them suiting the vibe.

mid century modern wood workAcurio shows them used as a deck liner: yes. That’s the “four point star”, above.

decorative privacy screenAs a privacy screen: yes.

mid century gate materialAs a gate insert: yes.

I also think they could be used to construct an interior room divider – like Lynne’s. I think I would go for the MDF, though — you want a “substantial” not flimsy feel for something that big and which you will be so in your face.

mid century modern latticeAnother way to get a thicker installation would be to layer some designs — the one above is two separate panels layered; I’d repeat the circle on the other side and make a sandwich – it would cool from both directions, that way.

I’ve also seen screens sitting on top of bathroom vanities creating a divide with the toilet — that would be an idea, too. Planters? Potting benches? Decorative folding screens?

… I think these provide a lot of creative opportunity. I would be careful, though, to use a busy-design item like this very carefully… very strategically… this is likely the kind of touch where “less is more.”

Link: Acurio Latticeworks

Comments

What a great product! Now, I just want to make SOMETHING out of them…anything. I have seen the one with the big circles used as doors for a sideboard but didn’t know where they came from. I think that there was a fabric behind them to let the sound from a stereo system come through but the panels and the fabric hid the ugly equipment and cords.

2. Jeff says

Hi Pam, super find- I saw a vintage pair of room dividers recently made of an early form of pressed wood with cutouts similar to these and they wanted 750 bucks for them- pricing is great, and layering is something I hadn’t thought of, but really gives them dimension.

Now looking around to see where I can use them……

Very cool stuff. This is just a guess but I’m pretty sure they’re using a CNC controlled router table to do the cutting, which could be done locally with a little effort finding a place to do it, this could save a ton of money on shipping, especially if you want to use MDF, which is heavy as hell.

I poked around on the site, but couldn’t find a price sheet anywhere. Did anyone find one?

I posted what looks to be a basic, minimum price within the blog post. I agree, you could do this locally… but you’d have to find someone with the patience, the tools and of course, the design…

4. Lynn-O-Matic says

Pam, I love you so much! I was going to write and ask you if you had any ideas on where to look for a room divider. I’ve been looking for a midcentury room divider, or something I could use as one, for ages. I scour our ReStore-type place regularly. I’ve also begged the antique mall to sell me one they’re using between booths. I do have a really cool headboard that I was thinking of using, but I’d have to cut the legs off and that seems blasphemous. I’ve found some cool hanging ones (http://www.iroomdividers.com/interior-room-dividers/hanging-room-dividers/2247+2249+4295061602.cfm) that I was thinking of using if I couldn’t find what I wanted. But these are perfect. Now I just have to figure out which one I want.

5. wendy says

These are fabulous!! I was just thinking of buying some lattice to hide my air conditioning unit outside….these would be perfect!

They would also make a cool window valance inside 🙂

6. Jill says

amazing! Thanks for sharing! plans to work on our patio & yard soon and these would make great privacy screen/dividers!

7. Shae Kuronen says

PAM! You’ve done it again, amazing find! I have the purrrfect place for this, unfortunately the girlfriend has put a “new projects moratorium” in effect for the next little while. Begrudgingly, I trudge onward to finish what I’ve started…

My company custom laser cuts panels in wood and we have a variety of mid century patterns available for use. Here is the link:

All of our panels are custom cut so the pricing is higher than a stock product but it does allow you to get exactly what you want. In addition to standard patterns, we also do custom designs. Here is a gallery of some of our work: