10 Kroehler sofas and loveseats from 1976

mediterranean-living-room-1976So last night I had to take Astro to the doggie emergency room.

1970s-crib-couchHe was choking and wretching and otherwise making me hysterical.

Fortunately, the wonderful vet at Pittsfield Veterinary Hospital figured out almost immediately that the boy had eaten burdocks.

1970s-patchwork-upholsteryThose are thistles, essentially, that had caught in his paw and beard.  He and I went for a long hike in Kennedy Park Saturday afternoon, so I am sure he got them there. Bad Mom. I did not even see them. They kind of blended in with his shaggy dog coat, and I am not a helicopter dog-Mom.

plaid-sofa-1976As a result, I did not get time to finish this post. I had loaded in the photos and was sitting in front of the computer about to start captioning them when all this drama started.

1976-living-room-by-kroehlerNow I am whipped. I think I will have a drink. Seriously.

1976-living-roomAren’t these 1976 sofas and loveseats and chairs and interiors from Kroehler an absolute gas? I welcome reader comments and captions expounding upon them. As all I can think about right now is Season 3 of Dexter on Netcast and a long tall cold vodka and orange juice.

To view the gallery, click on the first thumbnail … the image will enlarge on your screen … use the arrows below to move forward or back … you may start or restart at any slide:

Comments

1. Elaine says

Poor Astro! I hope those things don’t hurt coming out. I don’t like going to the emergency vet at all, but thank goodness for them, and that it wasn’t serious.

As for the pix, I did a double take at the second one, the fabric looked so familiar. My son made a stuffed owl pillow in either summer camp or an art class when he was 6 or 7, 1976 or 7, and it was that material! I still have it, and it would have looked perfect on a plain accent chair in the same room as that sofa. I might just have to add it to my decor again.

2. Alice says

Well Pam! I’m sorry for poor little Astro, but really it was truly a great sofa conversation…I felt like I was sitting on each of those wonderful sofas while you told me of your day’s trauma! And wiggling my toes in that fur-like carpet under the flowered sofas. Thank you for sharing the photos and hopefully Astro’s digestive tract is doing better now.

3. Joe says

Totally gross! I was a kid back in the 70’s, and I didn’t like this stuff then. There’s still plenty of older folks in my neighborhood that still own living room sets like these. They’re definitely NOT the “time capsules” anyone would like – trust me on this one, Pam! Polyester and Crushed Velour definitely do not get better with the passing of time.

4. Robert says

Happy to hear Astro’s doing better!
    I wonder how many of those “crib sofas” were purchased by producers of…ahem..independent films. 😉

5. Carolyn says

My sorority house had a sofa similar to the “crib” couch- only it was rust and minus so many ottomans. On Saturday and Sunday mornings after big parties we would totally turn it into a bed so at least a dozen of us could vegetate in front of the TV. So comfy but a BAD idea for a house where boys weren’t allowed upstairs. I will leave it at that!

6. Rebecca says

Oh, the giant couch pit! Fun for kids, fun for teenagers. Until the sections move apart and someone start to fall into a crack.

7. Selena says

I want the grey couch! LOL.

When my husband and I were still dating, he inherited an avocado sofa and matching chair from his maternal grandmother. I LOVED them. They were put in the apartment above his folk’s garage, that we were going to finish and live in. While we were on a family vacation with my folks, his mom got a hair somewhere… and burned the chair and all the cushions to the couch! She would have burned that too, but couldn’t move it by herself.

Her reason? She was angling us to take her Orange/Gold/Brown plaid sofa/sleeper set off her hands. For a studio apartment! I’ve since forgiven her moment of insanity, but one day, I will have my avacado set!!! (If mom would have burned the Lane coffee table and end tables that he got from grandma too… well, her and I may still have issues. LOL!)

8. Cynthia says

Just got the new Restoration Hardware catalogue yesterday. Started thumbing through it and gasped out loud. Yes, there was a pit! It was absolutely gorgeous. You could live in that thing! Check it out!