Pammy gets crafty: A vintage felted wool dog sweater for Astro

dog sweaterI’m not always a bad-dog-mom, some times I am a good-dog-mom. Earlier this month I went to another workshop with Crispina ffrench, the guru of turning holey wool sweaters into beautiful felted wool creations. I am not so good at the “beautiful” yet… but I am purdy darn proud of this sweater I made for Astro. .
dog sweaterHere’s the sweater (and my boy) in profile. I made this dog sweater out of one side of a man’s wool sweater — the body is all one continuous piece — after I felted it (basically, washed and dried in all Hot.) The cuffs for Astro’s legs are the cuffs from the sleeves of the original sweater.

handmade dog sweaterI am SO in love with this boy. If you don’t know the story — he came to me via the blog — and the lovely Denise, who rescues  miniature schnauzers.

If you want to learn how to make felted wool creations of your very own — and I tell you, it’s EASY! — I highly recommend Crispina’s book:

Comments

1. Andrea says

Astro looks so handsome in his new get-up…and looks like he knows it, too! Even the color scheme is perfect for him. As someone who is lucky to get a button sewn on straight, I am very impressed–bravo!

Sometimes “crafts” result in “crap,” but this is precious! Keep it up; it’s getting colder…

My boyfriend is a sucker for dogs in sweaters. I can’t to forward your Astro post to him!

3. Amy Hill says

Oh how CUTE! I love little dogs, they have so much presonality! You need to get him a set of reindeer ears and put his picture on your Christmas cards.

Thank you, Gavin, yes, I was pretty darn proud of that blanket stitch. But, I assure you, it’s not flawless. Nonetheless: I LOVE the blanket stitch. It makes such a difference in the overall finish.

I am so impressed! it looks great, you should be proud!

I can’t believe how much Astro looks like Lucy with his hair longer, especially that look in his eyes, she used to give me that all the time.

I’m clapping for you…can you hear me?

5. sandiesinatra says

Pam, Astro looks so handsome in his “new” sweater. A very clever idea, I might add! A cute little toque would go nicely with it, for those chilly, windy days! LOL Lucky boy he is!!!!!!! 🙂

6. Deb says

How perfect–a rescued sweater on a rescued doggie. Or is it an up-cycled sweater on an up-cycled doggie? Astro is one lucky guy. Maybe my lucky little rescued schnoodle will get an up-cycled sweater for Christmas. Thanks for the inspiration.

7. vintigchik says

Pam, what kind of flooring is Astro on in the last pic? That’s what was used in my grandparent’s 1959 home. It was the only flooring throughout the house. I know there’s was not cork, but sort of a tile that looked like cork. I’d appreciate any help, Thanks!