11 last-minute retro Christmas ideas

11 days ’til Christmas = 11 ideas for gifts with retro flair, which you can quickly nab via Amazon before it’s too late!:

1. Original reproduction bunny clippers from Runaway Rabbit, to keep your toesies happy and warm: Classic Adult Bunny Slippers.

2. This one is a mid-mod classic. Not cheap, but the real deal from Herman Miller: Eames Hang-It-All Rack.
.3. First production in 1942, still going strong, marketed out of nearby Pittsfield, Mass.: Chemex Drip Coffee Carafe – 8 Cup.

4. The original pink flamingo lawn ornaments, as designed by Don Featherstone, still made in the U.S. of A: Pair Plastic Pink Flamingos ~ Original Don Featherstone Design

5. I got sucked right into love with that movie, Julie & Julia. Made me want the book — which is actually a two-volume set: Mastering the Art of French Cooking (2 Volume Set).

6. Circa-1953 and that Rimini blue is as gorgeous as ever: Rimini blue horse head (154) by Bitossi of Italy – other figures available.

7. You gotta love these: Barbie Collector Mad Men Collection Dolls.

8. This makes me feel very, very old: 40: A Doonesbury Retrospective.
.anne taintor organizer 9. Anne Taintor anything is good in my book: It’s So Involved Being Me Organizer.

10. The Retro Renovation bible, Volume I: Inspiring Interiors from Armstrong 1950s.

11. Volume II:  Interior Solutions from Armstrong the 1960s.

I hope Santa is good to everyone. Disclosure: Yes, I receive a small commission anytime you buy anything (retro or not) from Amazon after clicking in through any link on the main part of the blog or on my Pamazon favorite-books page. Thanks for your support.

Comments

1. kate mckinnon says

What a fantastic list of gifts! I’d be thrilled to receive anything on here, and magically I don’t already have even a single one of them.

2. Elaine says

I want that 1950s Armstrong kitchen (family room?) for Christmas! Check out the granny squares on the ottoman. I just gave my identical afghan to my son. Family heirloom!

3. Jeanne says

Please-o-please Santa send me the Eames rack, Joan doll, Flamingos, Julia Child’s cookbooks (I loved the movie) and those Retro Renovation bibles. It would make the best Christmas ever. 🙂

I have the Chemex already and love it! $24 off of ebay. I’ve been checking the cookbooks on ebay and there have been some 1st editions (1961) going for $100+.

• Kateface says

I never thought I would live in a ’60’s Ranch, but I now own one.
      DID get my Flamingos. I am using them in a front window display as I feel they may “take flight” if I really installed them in the front yard.
      I want either a starburst or atomic clock over my ledgestone fireplace. I keep looking there for the time, even though I don’t have a clock there.
      I DO have foil wallpaper in kitchen.
      I’m not rabid, but some things just “fit”.

• Joe says

We have standard issue Pink Flamingos that hang out all year but last year my mom got us a pair of Christmas light-up Flamingos that go with the rest of our light display. I’ll try to snap a pic tomorrow.

• Jeanne says

At one of my previous homes I had the authentic set of flamingos in my front yard. One went “missing” and ended up in the middle of the local high school’s football field. LOL

4. Nina462 says

I am going to purchase my own Christmas present this week…I think. my local vintage store has bar stools that finally match my knotty pine basement! I’m so excited…the store isn’t open until Thursday so I must wait. I don’t even know how much they are….I just want them 🙂

Some other vintage gifts to give? Old catalogues!! Last year was a bonus year for me as I recieved a 1957 Penney’s & a 1963 Green Stamp catalogue. I still keep them on the coffee table just to look at! (My Mom says her maternity clothes were from that Penney’s catalogue…ha!)

Or Aprons!!

Good luck with the barstools, Nina — I don’t see those around much, hard to find! If Santa gets them for you, be sure to send me a pic!

I just want the oven in my O’Keefe and Merritt working this xmas! I just picked up a 60’s Gourmet cookbook out of the “free box” (outside the front door) from one of my local used bookstores. The recipes are very 60’s, but not too hard for the most part and very tasty, especially in cold weather.

My cousin’s wife ordered a yard full of pink flamingo’s for his graduation – when we got back from the ceremony the yard was totally full of them. There are actually services (or were) that did that.

thanks for the heads up – i just bought those two armstrong books for my wife for xmas. and when i say i bought them for my wife, i mean i will wrap them and give them to her, then read them later ;D

Great list, Pam! I love those bunny slippers…Really, I need to get a pair for myself (particularly up here with our frigid winters—I may have been born in Michigan but never got used to the cold!)! The Rimini horse is gorgeous, too…that colour…And since our garden was an absolute bust this past summer due to my poor health, I think those pink flamingos are just what we need to make up for it to the neighbors. LOL

Merry, merry, Pam, if I don’t pop in before Christmas! Your blog is one of my favourites, even though I can’t visit daily. 🙂

Fabulous gifties…for someone else OR myself! 🙂

I’m jealous of those of you who OWN true MCM homes… especially those with fireplaces~

I’ve got clocks…all over my house! Some things just seem right!