Upload photos of your holiday decorations — oh, and hijack this thread

mid century modern holidayTGIF and continuing SATURDAY — let’s party! That means: Show us the fun decor you have going on in your house, apartment or condo this year — Upload your photo(s) below. On Sunday around noon, I’ll showcase my 10 favorite — it will be so difficult!!! Oh, and in the spirit of our discussion the other day about building community on a blog — feel free to use the Comments today to ask me — or each other — random questions — hijack this thread all you want! Shown here: Jen & Eric, uploaded Friday. Read on… More than 200 photos so far!

Also check out our 2008 slide show of retro holiday decor.
To see the slide show, click on the thumbnail, it will enlarge, then use the arrows just below to move forward or back. You can start or stop the show from any slide. :

Upload your own finds below…Give a nice description, so’s we get to know you. Note, Terms of Use apply:
[ngg_uploader id = 91]

Comments

1. Cara says

Yay! I am enjoying everyone’s festive arrangements!
    I wanted to add the metal candles next to my mini tree are like lighters. You fill them with lighter fluid, flick them on and no wax on the tablecloth. I haven’t tried them as it seems dangerous.
    Also, I had to pay $15 for that mini tree 15 years ago! I felt soo guilty for spending that much but I’m glad I splurged.

2. pam kueber says

9 p.m. I’m logging off for a bit and will be back to approve the new uploads in the a.m. There are 101 photos so far — woot! Thanks, everyone, these are fantastic! Last one you should see is Fuzzy Christmas, captioned: BH&G Post and Beam in central Alabama. From Jennifer James of MagicCityModern

If you are *not* seeing this, you’re cached. Try clearing your cache or (sorry) log off or even shut down and restart. This is one part of the technology we’re trying to figure out. geek girl pam here – night night

3. Jeanne says

I used to have one of those plastic script “Merry Christmas” decorations, of which I see two or three in all those photos. Darn, I wonder what happened to mine. I’ll have to go digging….

I’m trying to finish painting my dining room, so I don’t even have my tree up or any decorations out yet. These photos are inspiring! And I laughed out loud at the Pink Flamingo nativity! Only us retro people have the right combination of humor mixed with respect for history. 🙂

4. MrsPitcher says

I wanted a silver tree, but my husband shook his head in disapproval. I crochet all of my ornaments this year. My son made a paper star for the top! My camera went on the fritz so I can’t post 🙁 Maybe Santa will bring me a proper camera!

@Martinis: I just added a photo of my yellow felt bird that looks exactly like the one on your tree. I also have a red one that you can see in row 10, column 2. Do you know the history of them? I thought my sister made ours in the 60’s.

• The Martini's says

I la la la LOVE seeing everyone’s fantabulous vintage Christmas stuff. Keep the pictures coming. I am jellie of all that have an aluminum tree, I past one up because of the price. But hopefully for next year, I will have found one and the color wheel too!
      Happy Holidays to all! The Martini’s

• The Martini's says

No I don’t know the history of the chicken/bird ornament. It looks home made. I think they probably sold patterns, so people could do it themselves out of felt. HAPPY CHRISTMAS!

6. Sherri Tayloe says

I love everything everyone posted, Im not sure which is my favorite, I see so many treasures that we all have, the Pixies, the Aluminum Trees, the Shiny Brites, the Plastic “everythingys” , I also see bark cloth draperies, vintage tv’s, stereo consoles, etc… I love looking each and every day!!!

7. MrsErinD says

I added 4 pics of mine just now, and I cleared the cookies and stuff, but can’t see them?? Did they upload okay?

8. MrsErinD says

Oh okay, lol sorry! I rebooted too, was just confused if it worked or not :OP
    Thanks Pam :O)

I love everyones photos! They are beautiful! The pics of the pink Christmas by Lin Barber are my faves, although it’s hard to pick! Lin, do you have a blog or flickr account?? I’d love to see more of your decorating!

• Gavin Hastings says

Mrs ED…Your livingroom looks fantastic! Great job.
      Thank you for posting pictures for those of us who have watched it evolve!!!!

The Flamingo Nativity totally just made my day. Whoever posted that… can I hijack your picture??
    Also if anyone is getting rod of an extra aluminum tree I will gladly take it!! I’ve been looking for a decently priced one for years but they just never seem to come my way 🙁 Maybe next year I will write Santa a letter 🙂

10. Disneydan says

I love all the great vintage decorations and decorating ideas. I have been collecting vintage decorations for nearly 20 years. It is great to unpack my “old friends” every year, but can be difficult to find new ways to display them. You all have such wonderful and unique ideas – I shall steal them all! Merry Christmas!!

11. Nina462 says

MsErinD- I love the living room. Tell me -does the tv work? Did you have to rewire it? That is one of my goals this year.

• MrsErinD says

Hi Nina, Thanks! No the tv doesn’t work yet, but I know Hubby will get it to work! It needs rewired yes, but also tubes, etc, all those little things that went into old tv’s, thankfully Hubby knows all that so we’ll get it to work one day, we also have a floor model stand radio from 1942 and a console stereo from 1947, so he started work on the stereo first.

• Nina462 says

Thanks MrsErinD for the info on your tv. Awhile back Pam had some links on how to connect them & make them work for today. Have a very Merry Christmas – –

• vintage_vantage says

I love vintage electronics, even work on a few, but these can be even more of a threat than lead in my opinion! Do not plug them in to see if they work. You need a special tool called a Variac (a fancy dimmer) to make sure that the power surge from the initial plug in doesn’t fry the old wiring, resistors, etc.

12. Pam Shipley says

Hi Pam. I downloaded several pictures on Sunday night. I haven’t seen them posted yet. I didn’t put my name on them, but there were an elf on a corncob, guitar Santa on boot, mermaids with ribbons, etc. Is there something else I should do? Thank–Pam, Atlanta

13. Janee Taylor says

Hi Pam,
    Love the vintage decorations. Hope you can see the Fada radio I uploaded. It was my mothers.
    Happy Holidays