“Save the Pink Bathrooms” in the national spotlight

nancy's bathroomWe interrupt our regularly scheduled programming with breaking news: The New York Times has done a big ole story on the resurgence of vintage pink bathrooms — spotlighting our little Save The Pink Bathrooms quest and moreover: Readers Glamorlux NancyJanice… and Nora… as well as advertiser John of deabath.com… flickr friend Tamelyn… and STPB commenter Michael. Oh my goodness gracious, it’s not every day you see pink bathrooms on the front page of the New York Times (well, online version, at least). The big photo inside is Nancy, glamming it up in her pink poodle bathroom. And, there’s a whole sidebar story about Nora, who, with the help of reader Christopher, I also was able to connect to Times writer Kate Murphy. Thanks to everyone for participating, you done good for pink bathrooms!
This post isn’t just a yeehaw!, though. I want to welcome new folks coming in via the NYT and point you to some of the additional back stories about the readers featured:

Readers — Be sure to check out the entire New York Times story on “Bathrooms – Pretty in Pink” … along with the lovely sidebar on Nora, who wisely advises, “If you love something, it never goes out of style.”

Comments

1. Andrea says

Congratulations, Pam, this is Big Time exposure—well deserved!—for our beloved pink bathrooms—and for your blogs! Mine was also what the realtor thought could be a deal breaker, when actually it was a primary selling point for our 1952 Cape Cod (along with a turquoise tiled bathroom and an original aquamarine kitchen!)
    Yay!!!

2. Ann-Marie Meyers says

HA! We are justified. My daughter keeps saying, “Mom, what is it with this pink bathroom stuff?”
    I peruse the homes listed on Trulia.com in Fort Worth, and reject a perfectly decent 1950’s home in a good neighborhood because they updated the bathrooms.
    Will I ever find the little mid century home of my dreams?

3. Amy Hill says

Wonderful recognition for the blog…and the STPB cause!
    My bathroom has original tile in a light peach color with gold specks. It’s still in excellent condition and really adds to the charactor of my home. My love of all things MCM has been passed down to my daughter…in 2 weeks, she closes on her first home, a little 1948 charmer with lots of original details. The place needs work, but she’s so excited it doesn’t matter!

4. Cindy says

Brava Brava Brava, Pam!!! Great visibility for the blog, the color pink and all things retro…..what’s next?? 😉

5. tammyCA says

Very cool to be on the NY Times front page! We are now facing our own bathroom redo…our 1954 shower tile is just too far gone now and must be replaced. It’s not a pretty color combo (light yellow and terracotta) so I’m not too sad about it. It’s hubby’s bathroom so I doubt I can pick pink, but maybe can convince him on my other fave color robin’s egg blue.

6. nancy says

I love and well remember the pink, baby blue, mint green..aqua..bathrooms of the 1950’s…they were very, I thought, Hollywoodish….I would love to have one and wouldn’t think of tearing it out if I did!!!

7. Suzanne says

WTG Pam!
    Sorry I didn’t get my pix in to you sooner, but you can see some views of my pink bathroom on EyeForDetail.biz. Click on the remodeling page. This is not a vintage bathroom (except for the sink, which we got from the Habitat for Humanity scrap yard for $20). The bedroom & bath are a new addition to my 1941 house in Burbank. (Photos of the red & white kitchen are elsewhere on your website.)
    You’re a champ!
    –Suzanne

8. Joe Felice says

Oh, yeah, the poodles! And that plastic sliding shower door brought back memories. What ever happened to those? How about accordion doors?