Blind corner lazy susans in vintage metal kitchen cabinets: rare sighting

blind corner revolving door in vintage geneva metal kitchen cabinetA rare sighting in vintage metal kitchen cabinets: a swing-out, lazy-susan-style door set into a blind corner in this set of vintage metal Genevas. Even mega expert 52PostnBeam says: “I’ve seen something like that only once before … and you know I saved a photo of it! purty neat.” 52PnB’s blue cabinet seems even wackier, because the door doesn’t appear to go all the way to the kickplate/floor. The ivory or white set that I spotted is in a listing over on our steel cabinet buy/sell Forum. Ergh, I can’t find the listing now, and I can’t get the PDF to pdrats. It’s in there somewhere….left side blind corner cabient with swing out lazy suzan

Comments

The blue cabinet is a St. Charles, and it is called a ‘Swing Shelf Corner Unit’. I have the exact same cabinet as the blue one and there are actually 2 doors that swing out — not just one. If you look closly at the blue cab. photo you can just see the handle peeking out for the door below.

2. ami says

We had a corner lazy susan in our metal kitchen (American Kitchens Pioneer–very attractive, the cabinet doors were solid wood). It was somewhat different than these. The door was not full-size relative to the others, and it operated by pressing a button shaped like the pulls on the lower cabinets, which were round. I used to love to mess around with the lazy susan when I was little, because the mechanism made such a great and satisfying click noise when it operated–plus, then you got to spin it around to look at all the cans. Good times!

• Esti says

I have 2 sets of those (4 altogether) in my 1957 blue St. Charles kitchen. They slide out smoothly as though they were brand new. They are just a little difficult to clean the insides behind the lazy susan — but well worth it.

Esti

3. 52postnbeam says

Looks like Sara and Kate have the same double door as the blue rusted one — I love these because they make use of that otherwise wasted space, plus it’s a huge bonus to have items out in the open, as opposed to searching around on a spinning lazy susan (fun as it may be for the kids).

Anyone know why St. Charles don’t have attached kick plates like other cabinets? All the disassembled St. Ch I’ve seen don’t have a base, making them only about 30″ high. I’m going to guess they’re left off so the installer can customize the counter height (higher up for tall people, for example) … however, it’s another bit of work and something to keep in mind for the old budget …

I do not know the answer to the kickplate question, 52pnb. I surmise your hypothesis is correct, though… I’ll keep an eye out for the answer . I have lot of vintage St. Charles marketing materials…just need to read them rather than just look at the photos!

4. Kersten says

Such fun information! I didn’t realize they are rare. I’m pretty sure I have 2 of these waiting to be installed. A huge set of St. Charles with wood doors are patiently waiting in our garage to be installed. (Taking prime realestate in a garage in cold WI!) Once the bathroom is done, those babies are next!

Our kitchen has a normal lazy susan and it took me a while to find a Geneva set that had one. I thought they were kinda hard to come by, but man, these look even more rare.

Yes, I really wanted two lazy susans for my kitchen, too. The RDGs did not deem me worthy, they had already delivered a lot. Lost space, alas.

• Reader Deb says

Recently purchased a set of the recessed handle Geneva cabinets that were still in the kitchen. They used a 42″ lower in the corner by replacing the left side with plywood and attaching a 3″ spacer at a right angle in the center. Since I only have 42″ between the sink and the corner wall where it’s going I’m planning to flip an upper with a plinth attached to use on the other wall.

6. kris says

we are young homeowners learning about our house and getting very excited about mid century modern design – we totally have these painted steel cabinets!

question: how do you clean fingerprints/oil buildup off of them? i tried a conventional cleaning product and it seems to have left faint streaks, perhaps taking off the gloss finish from the cabinets? is there anything i can do about those streaks to restore the shine, and how should i clean the doors in the future?

thanks!! love this website!!!!

kris, to clean my cabinets we used very vine grade auto body compound, a rag and a buffer – finishing off with a new coat of turtle wax. you might also try deabath.com’s cleaner page and/or contact them for tips. also please note: there can be lead in old paint on these cabinets – consult a pro and educate yourself.

7. tikitacky says

The blue cabinet that is in the second photo looks like a St. Charles corner cabinet. If so, there is a second lazy susan beneath the first one, sort of making it look like there is an unused section when you view the photo. I feel like I can see the handle underneath the open door? I have two of these (a left-open and a right-open) and I need another left-opening one!

• tikitacky says

Should have read the comments instead of excitedly jumping on in. Clearly everyone already identified the second corner cab as a St. Charles. I’ll go sit over here now…..

8. texastechie says

Hello. I thought I would ask a question here since I see several who are familiar with St. Charles cabinets. If you have ever had to replace a countertop / backsplash or to remove both in order to remove the cabinets for refinishing, can you explain how you went about it please? The steel bands that frame the formica for both backsplash and counters for the cabinets we need to refinish are welded together, at least at the corners, but maybe all along the counters where they adjoin the backsplash. We do not want to re-use the formica (ugly in our opinion) and really, it’s not possible since the counter is rotted around the sink. We worry that we will damage the cabinetry or more when removing the formica. Any pointers? Instructions? Help is appreciated!

9. diana says

anyone have any idea if Geneva made these blind cabinets? I just got a set of 17 pink Genevas and would LOVE to incorporate a lazy susan. I can’t find any literature on the Geneva cabinets at all online. Any links you could recommend?

10. Heidi Schutte says

Wow, I had no idea people were interested in these cabinets! I still have them in my kitchen, along with matching 1950 dishwasher! We use the dishwasher for storing pots and pans!