Gold mine of new-old-stock tile and accessories from the 1930s, 40s, 50s, 60s & 70s — uncovered!

a school full of vintage tile for salethousands of pieces of mid century tileYou wouldn’t know it, but you know it now: This old school in West Virginia is loaded with boxes and boxes and boxes of new-old-stock ceramic tile and accessories spanning the 1930s through the 1970s. Emily and her son Lawrence discovered the treasure trove of vintage ceramic tile at property auction — boxes and boxes and boxes filled a complete building, “the retro building” — and they are eager to sell it. What color do you need? Looks like they are likely to have it — with NOS ranging from simple pastels…all the way to 1970s groove town, too. Read on for yet another story of NOS wares that were stashed away for decades — and recently uncovered. Emily writes:

Pam,

My son and I bought a building full of tile on a property in southern WV. We are restoring our town one house at a time (we fix neglected homes in nice neighborhoods and resell them). My son also does home repair and historic restoration. He owns a 4 story 88,000 square foot school, so we have ample storage. Lawrence has been collecting doors, windows, mantels, etc. from older homes due to be demolished in our area for years. We have perhaps 100? doors (some of the doors are off-the-hook) and windows that can be sold, among other various items he has salvaged pre-demo. We are staging the first tile sale this Saturday at the school from 10-3, to run every Saturday. We will also have the school open on Monday evenings. The school (former Central Jr. High and original Beaver High School) is located on US 19 in Bluefield, WV. .

1970s orange tile

We attended the tile sale and bought several pallets of various tiles from 1970 and newer. At the end of the sale day, we bought a building they referred to as “the retro building”.

1970s blue mediterranean tile

It was literally FULL of tile from the 50s and earlier. We have well over 1,000 of just the fixtures (soap dishes, tp holder, towel bars, etc.) alone. The tiles have newspapers in among the boxes that verify ages. We even have some wooden crates of tiles from the 30s and 40s. The newspapers are as interesting as the tiles!

ceramic soap dish from the 1960s

I would love to see this tile that has not seen the light of days in decades be put to use and enjoyed! All of the pieces are in pristine, unused condition.

1970s mosaic floor tile
I have posted some items on ebay… albeit SLOWLY. I list an item and include many photos of other products we have with it. I am WatersWV on ebay if you have a moment to look.

Thank you for your response! Hopefully the pics I have attached will come through. I have many pictures. but am afraid of crashing the server.

Regards,
Emily, Bluefield, WV

Well, I am pretty much in awe. Of late, I have gone nuts for the 70s. I think I may be saddlin’ up my Ford Ranger to go get me some of the orange stuff up at the top (the paired design + solid), along with the and blue and green and yellow Mediterranean tile right here. I can see it in my mind’s eye:  A 70s split level with my name on it. It needs work. I put in all this tile. Everywhere. I have a new persona: 70s Earth Mother. But heck, I haven’t even SEEN the 1930s tile — I could do that persona, too!

–> How to reach Emily –> Email her at: centraltile@yahoo.com.

Please: DO NOT leave your email address below… or try to contact ME. Contact Emily as per above! I will delete all such comments and ignore all such emails — as this quickly gets out of control.

Happy hunting.

Comments

1. Nina462 says

Love it! Would like a blue tile toothbush holder & cup holder…but then I’d have to cut into my original blue tile wall to add. Lovely array of tile:)

And what great Romanesque architecture of that school. I have noticed lately (around here) that the 2 new schools being built – have the Romanesque architecture vs the other new school having that bad soaring wings of a ceiling look.

Thanks!

2. amy mcginnis says

I read and understood you don’t want contact comments and I surely understand – however, repeated emails to Emily at the address provided have gone unanswered. Do you have any additional information or other contact? I would be grateful, as I’m sure would other readers. Regards, Amy

nope, sorry. try World of Tile…when I get a moment I am going to close this thread to comments and remove her email…

3. Mark says

I went to that school in the 70’s. I want the building. I have alot of good memories of that school. It was a neat building that was well built with a great layout.I hope they have taken care of it. If anyone ever gets to visit the school asked to take pictures, I love to see the old school again. I have lived in California for the last thirty some years, but ever time i get back to my home town i stop and take pictures of tha old school. I would love to seeit inside I have to go for now.
    Mark

4. pam says

That tile you show — green with white marbling — I ordered from World of Tile in NJ for my bathroom floor. It looks great, although I wish I had gone with dark grout. With white grout it gets a very “white” look overall. But also, unless I am mistaken Chippy at World of Tile had told me that was NOT vintage tile…it’s NEW tile ordered from some Japanese manufacturer.

Thanks, Pam. I will ask Chippy. Yes, in my video about things I would do differently in my own bathroom design, I suggested: Gray grout the color of concrete, rather than white or even soft white. White gets pukey colored too fast…

5. LuAnn says

Pam and friends, I have 4 x 4 beige tile with variations in brown tones around the edges. The backsplash is the same but with random tiles that have a raised design done in dark brown and orange. The grout lines in all are wide and brown. Any idea what era my 50s kitchen was “updated” in? I actually kind of like this tile, since a lot of my retro stuff is 70s and kind of earthy. But I do need to re-grout. I don’t have a website, is there a place to post photos?

6. Melissa says

My husband and I are purchasing a 1964 home. In one of its 3 full bathrooms is [what looks like] tile that was original to the home, but I’d love to see if anyone on here may be able to look at it and tell me if that’s the case (or if it was re-tiled at a later time but still vintage, or if it’s modern tile made to look vintage)… http://s3-static.realpagemaker.com/mlspics/MTRMLS/RES/1641017_9.jpg The floors, bottom half of walls, vanity top, and shower all have the same tan/gold/brown tile bordered in white tile. We love the tile, but were considering replacing the sink cabinet. I don’t know if there’s a way to safely remove the vanity and sink without damaging it. I’d love to do that if the tile is vintage. If it’s modern tile made to look vintage I wouldn’t feel as bad if something happened to it if we do replace the cabinet. Thanks in advance for any input or information on this tile or any words of advice if we do attempt removing the top to change out the cabinet. Blessings!