19 affordable mid century modern sofas

IMPORTANT UPDATE: This was the very FIRST story I did looking at mid mod sofas. It was revised again later in 2011 and again for 2013. Read our very latest update — 216 affordable mid century style sofas from 30 manufacturers. However, I am leaving this story up — because it contains reader comments that may be of use if you are in shopping and researching mode.
gracie sofa by perch

I just about blew my eyeballs out researching this story. I hunted and pecked all over the world wide web looking for affordable, new sofas in the mid century modern style. “Affordable”? The sofas shown here are $700-$1,999. “Mid century modern style”? Some of these are more “modern,” I’d say, than they are “mid century modern”, but I gave some latitude.

Also, I am not an expert on all the modernist furniture designers from back in the day so, again, I erred on the side of including more options rather than getting all twisted about how “authentic” each design might be.

To start, above in the orange: Gracie sofa by Perch Furniture. Based in Portland (there is a bird in their logo tee hee), workshop in LA. These guys get double extra bonus points for rockin’ the orange. (God help me, all the greiged-out neutrals on these furniture websites had me on a rip-roaring rant revival.)  Gracie sofa by Perch Furniture.

younger sofaOrange was too hard to resist for my lead photo, but this Lily sofa (above in gray) from Younger Furniture is my #1 favorite mid century modern reproduction sofa on the market today. As Gavin pointed when I originally posted about Younger, this is very similar to original Dunbar designs. There are additional modern designs from Younger Furniture, which also are well executed — like the sofas and chairs that Dave and Kristin used in their house.  Mid century modern sofas from Younger Furniture

morgan sofa from macys

We have shared a lot of Macy’s love over the years. The Morgan, Blake (shown) and Corona are what popped out at me in the current lineup — as I type this, they all seem to be on sale for $699. Mid century modern style sofas and loveseats from Macys.

castellano modern sofa

When I was at Rejuvenation Lighting two years ago, I saw this line of furniture for sale in their large showroom. It’s Castellano Custom Furniture — made right in Portland, and it sure appeared to be the real deal. I’m not sure it really hits under $2,000, but I’m putting it in anyway, it’s probably in the range. Modern sofa from Castellano Custom Furniture.

jane sofa from gus modern

Gus Modern has a lot of styles — they seem to be going after this market pretty aggressively. Mid century modern sofas from Gus Modern

I love the look of this Mitchell Gold + Bob Williams Cara sofa. Not sure if it’s really less than $2,000, but I’m guessing it’s close. There are some other possibilities in this line, as this is a company that tracks trends. Cara sofa by Mitchell Gold + Bob Williams.

modern sofa from west elm

You got your numerous choices from West Elm.

dean mid century style sofa by room and board

I was surprised that Room & Board did not have a wider array of mid-century modern style sofas. The only one I really thought fit my *I’ll know it when I see it* criteria, and which was less that $2,000, was the Dean. Mid century and modern sofas by Room and Board.

avec sofa from cb2The lines of CB2’s Avec are too forced for me, but it seems to have its fans. Avec sofa from CB2.

petrie sofa by crate and barrel

Crate & Barrel gets in, with their Petrie Sofa. How do they get away with using that name without licensing it from The Dick Van Dyke Show? Petrie sofa from Crate and Barrel.

arlington-sofa-from-pottery-barn

Arlington sofa from Pottery Barn.

sterling sofa by michael weiss for vanguard

There are some *possibilities* in this collection by Michael Weiss for Vanguard. One thing to consider and check for, on all the sofas that I show, is their size and scale. Back in the day, sofas were not 40″ deep — oversized — the way they often are today. Some of these sofas are more less-deep and less-high than others — more “authentically” proportioned for smaller mid century rooms with lower ceilings. Mid century = long, low, horizontal lines.  On the other hand, deep sofas can be very comfortable if you are tall or large and also if you like to hunker down to watch TV. So — thinking about the proportion of the sofa to your space, vetted with how you will realistically use it, is the task. Note, I also could not get a retail price on this Weiss sofa without giving my coordinates to an online quoting place, which I refuse to do. (This exercise also made me an expert on website design and marketing for furniture makers, I swear. If any manufacturers want to hire me for a 25-point checkup, send me an email.) I’m going to guess that this, and others in this Vanguard line come in under $2,000 if you don’t go too crazy with the upholstery.  Michael Weiss mid century style sofas for Vanguard.

Don’t forget to check Ethan Allen.

So now I started really poking down rabbit holes. I kind of like the look of this Byrd sofa from Furniture Outlet Warehouse in Fairlawn, NJ — those arms are kind of vintage Kroehler-esque. Don’t ask me about the quality, though. Goodness, before I bought a sofa, I’d want to see it in person… Anyway… Byrd sofa from Furniture Outlet Warehouse.

Here’s the True Modern Luna  sofa, with its Danish Modern legs. Check out this company’s Sample Sale area, too. Luna Sofa from True Modern Furniture.

Blu Dot has a few options, and sounds like an interesting company. Paramount sofa by Blu Dot.

Bloom sofa from Dania. $699 – made in China. Don’t yell about only this one, though, I think most of the Gus Moderns are from China, too. I did not check country of  origin as I did this research. Dania’s other sofas also are modern designs, at relatively low prices. Bloom sofa from Dania.

blake sofa

Okay, I’m sticking this one in — the Blake Sofa at Circle Furniture actually has a 1940s 1950s vintage Heywood Wakefield look, to me, especially with that contrast welting. There is another sofa in their line, the Collingwood, that has a modern feel. It is apartment sized, 75″. Blake Sofa from Circle Furniture.

Hey, do not be forgetting, you can STILL get Heywood-Wakefield sofas — NEW. Yes, they are still being manufactured, by a company that bought the rights. That’s the Margaret, above. I’m not counting this in my “mid century modern” count, though.  Heywood-Wakefield sofas still made today.

lee industries apartment sofa

The sofas at Lee Industries tend much more toward traditional and even wonderful mid-century modest. Boy oh boy, the Lee page  is fun to look at — so many shapes and sizes — it’s a sofa primer: Sofas by Lee Industries.

Gosh. I am a perfectionist, so I just kept looking and looking til I couldn’t look no more. Did I miss any companies making mid mod sofas? If so, let me know in Comments, and I’ll add it to this list — which I would love to be #1 most conclusive in the interior design blog world. Thank you!

Comments

1. Kristie says

I love my Corona! Its got the right lines, not too fussy (ie expensive) for me to kill my kids over, and they offer custom colors without extra charge. I ordered mine in “paprika” and they are beautiful and fit well with my vintage pieces.

2. duki says

Hi Pam,

Love, LOve, LOVE your sight! Have been following faithfully now for the last nine months or so. I must confess, I’m addicted.
    Room & Board also has the Reese L- Shaped sectional that if you flip the arm to the left, looks almost identical to Rob and Laura Petrie’s first sofa.

well thanks for the LoVe, duki, and for coming out of lurking status! start a-commenting, dear! and yes: my evil goal is to addict you all buhahaha

The Corona series from Macy’s is awesome and made in Mississippi USA!!! I have another sofa from same manufacturer, MaxHome, that is used daily and with my dog, unbelievable quality. Please people, support jobs in the USA!

4. Gavin Hastings says

Anyone ever hear of SofaCraft in California?
    Made in USA, good prices, foam or down, choice of springs and best yet: A Warranty!

5. Jay says

Howdy! Back in the seventies, my parents were given a set of “danish modern” furniture that was covered in a yellow/brown tweed material. Very low and long. It was given to them by a friend who was settling her aunt’s estate. They also got the triangular glass tables that rest on the walnut tripod legs. Anyway, I remember the name on the tag – designed by Milo Baughman for Thayer-Coggin. I googled it and the company is still in business and stating that it’s manufactured in USA. I think the couch was several years old when my parents aquired it and it is no more, the material gave way but they got 25 years out of it. I have a feeling that the stuff now costs $$$$. The company was started in 1953, it doesn’t get any more mid mod then that. Oh well, the end!

Well, yes, too many choices – but now that are in one place to sort through at least! Good luck, let me know what you end up with !

Great choices! Several years ago I was searching for a sofa to complement my mid century decor and I ended up nearly tearing all my hair out! I couldn’t find anything I liked. Thanks to your informative post you’ve now made it easier to find just the right one:)

7. bunny7766 says

We have the Crate and Barrel Petrie sofa. USA made.
    Beautiful. My only complaint is the buttons on seat cushions can be
    uncomfortable. Other than that very happy. Oh takes about 6 to 8 weeks to make
    the sofa.

Thank you, Zoe, I really appreciate it. It is soooo exciting to have a comprehensive list — all this reader input is really pushing this over the top! Yay!

8. Zoe says

Sorry, forgot to mention the names of the sofas from Modernica: there’s the “Case Study Couch” and the “Split Rail Sofa.” They have a nice mid-century selection of upholstery choices, too.

9. gsciencechick says

I really hope we can get some new LR furniture by the end of the year. This list really helps! Thanks!

This is a great resource! Thanks Pam. I had no idea that Gus Modern existed. Found a local dealer and went to see there collection yesterday. Divine…

11. Anastasia says

I covet the orange couch. BUT…. we’re looking for a mid-mod couch that is slip covered and we’re not having much luck. There’s the Jasper on Room and Board, but otherwise all we’re finding for slip covered couches is skirts. I hate skirts! Anyone have any suggestions?

12. Janine Lee says

As a professional upholster for at least twenty five years, I guess I can’t believe that there is no mention of finding a true MCM sofa , and having it upholstered. Not to mention I bet most of these sofas are probably not made in America. These sofas have much better frames, than anything on the market today.

13. david berryman says

stupid name but this place

custom makes all sorts of sofas. huge sail right now mostly around $1k. and if yer an animal rights wacko like i am, you’ll be happy to know they can make your couch out of fake leather!

not sure about shipping. i live in l.a. so i was able to just pick it up after a couple weeks.

14. Pat says

I am soooo glad they are finally getting away from those big puffy, ugly sofas that are all you could buy for the last 10 years! I just wish I could find the style I like, 1940’s with cabbage rose upholstery.

15. Jessica says

What about the Jasper from Room & Board? I love that one!

(It’s @guerillagirl, by the way. De-lurking. Lol.)

16. sandy retroSpective says

eq3, a company in my city of Winnipeg, Manitoba (Canada) makes reasonably-priced furniture for the younger, hip market… prices tend to be lower, and styles are simple, straightforward and clean lines; styles that would look good in warehouse lofts, other hip environments and, of course, mid-century modern abodes.

What I love about the eq3 line: 1) There are several styles of sofas that have a ‘regular-sized’ sofa and a smaller-scaled ‘apartment-sized’ one (which is still considerably bigger than a loveseat). Many of us have smaller spaces, whether we live in smaller homes, apartments, or lofts, so these apartment-sized sofas are welcome. 2) There are lots of fabric colours, patterns, and type of fabrics to choose from… many of them channelling that ‘retro’ feel. 3) Most sofas have a choice of legs, wooden or steel.

My very favourite sofa is the Replay — I would love to get the REPLAY apartment sofa.

Another very MCM-style sofa that I love is the BYRD sofa:
    I adore this one, also, so it would be a toss-up between the Byrd or Replay.

I find the PEKOE sofa very retro-looking, too. The PEKOE sectional is especially suited for a 1960s era MCM vibe.