Couches for 1940s, 1950s or 1960s living rooms — Upload photos of your sofa!

pink vintage sofaIt was fun yesterday to look at my list of 19 mid-century modern sofas you can buy today. Lots of readers chimed in with comments on their sofas. So I thought: Let’s see ‘em. If you have a few minutes this weekend, take a photo of your sofa, couch, or davenport :) and upload it using the form below. Vintage? New? Modern? Modest? Grandma’s? A dumpster dive? Original upholstery? New upholstery? Perfect? Wrecked but beloved?  Tell us the story, too! Above: Tamera’s gorgeous sofa – original upholstery. A gift from her husband, found with two fabulous midcentury chairs for $150 total. Eat your hearts out.

Read more about Tamera’s finds on her blog, I Dare Say.

Plus, here are some that don’t want to seem to upload. Sorry, the plugin is being funky, and I don’t know why…

Gavin says: My Mother’s 1964 Henredon sofa-plopped into the middle of my living room. Haven’t decided what to do with it yet.

1960’s Mid Century sectional sofa with original cushions. Would this be classified as Danish modern? I found this set about 7 years ago at a Salvation Army for $25. (Pam, I made sure I included our nice front door for your enjoyment.)

Tips to view slide show: Click on first image… it will enlarge and you can also read my captions… move forward or back via arrows below the photo… you can start or stop at any image:

Comments

1. Caroline Ambrose says

I love the pictures of the davenports. I inherited my beautiful original davenport (that lays down into a bed) from my Grandmother. My cousin thought i was nuts since it was in their basement and smelled musty. However, she didn’t realize I also picked up the blanket that was always on the back and then framed a picture of Grandma holding my cousin and I in her arms in 1967 sitting on the couch with the blanket. It hangs on the wall next to it now and every time I see it….well, let’s just call it magic. I then found a matching chair at an auction and picked it up for $10. However, it is getting time to actually upholster both pieces and I want to use similar fabric however can’t find any. Any suggestions?

2. P. Crump says

The sofa image 65 on your page: it’s blue and looks like it is on a front porch. I have a gold one, a gold chair/ottoman to match and a black chair/ottoman as well. Do you know the brand or year? I was given the furniture from the original owner,

Thank You.

3. Nelia Rivers says

I submitted a picture with a 1950’s nubby green sofa and don’t see it. Will someone get back to me and let me know if it uploaded?
    the handle was looking for manufacturer/designer

I didn’t realize that uploader was still on. I just went in, and set numerous new photos free. You should be able to see it now. Thanks!

4. Nelia Rivers says

Seeking the manufacturer/designer for the 1950’s sofa in picture #110 of #214. It is long, angular and a nubby green/ivory fabric with a light hanging in the corner. Does anyone recognize the sofa?

5. Andy P. says

Just uploaded my all original, 1950 sectionals – in the family and covered in plastic since new! It seems every other Heywood Wakefield sofa I see is the same salmon-ish color, so I have to wonder if these are the same brand or what? I wasn’t able to find any logos anywhere on the incredibly sturdy metal/wood frames, but I did find the original shipping tag from South Chicago.

6. Jeannette B. says

Pam–Can you please do a feature or have an ‘uploader’ of shadow boxes. I have been looking for a great mirrored one like some that are seen in the photos of the couches and living rooms. Up here in Canada, people don’t seem like they used them in home decor, but we hope to make a run down to the States looking for one….

Thanks!

7. Julia B. says

I recently found a stamped vinyl sectional in black and gold just like Sarah C’s at a local antique store! Small world perhaps?

8. Judith A. Carlson says

I am looking for a single-cushion sofa, 10 feet long, in a one-piece 16′ brass frame that folds in the middle for moving. At each end of the sofa is a two-tier micarta table held up by brass pedestals.There were two of them made in the ’50s for a theater but the theater either went out of business or refused them. I have one of them and I would really like to find the other one or at least would like to know what happened to it. Thank you.

9. Peggy Cain says

I found a 1950’s Koehler couch, yellow/orange flowered sateen, image 6 of 231. I would like to know the value of this couch.

10. laura moss says

I inherited this beautiful 5 piece settea set from my grandmother it was passed down threw the family threw many generations.Im trying to find out what factory made it and what year.Can you help?