• Couches for 1940s, 1950s or 1960s living rooms — Upload photos of your sofa!

pink vintage sofaIt was fun yesterday to look at my list of 19 mid-century modern sofas you can buy today. Lots of readers chimed in with comments on their sofas. So I thought: Let’s see ‘em. If you have a few minutes this weekend, take a photo of your sofa, couch, or davenport :) and upload it using the form below. Vintage? New? Modern? Modest? Grandma’s? A dumpster dive? Original upholstery? New upholstery? Perfect? Wrecked but beloved?  Tell us the story, too! Above: Tamera’s gorgeous sofa – original upholstery. A gift from her husband, found with two fabulous midcentury chairs for $150 total. Eat your hearts out.

Read more about Tamera’s finds on her blog, I Dare Say.

Upload photos of your sofa, vintage or new, belowTips:

• If you can figure out the settings, please set your camera to no bigger than “medium” images, so files aren’t too large — large files really slow down the slide show.
    • (2) Uploader DOES work but message you get on screen *may be* funky and confusing. Upload ONCE and trust the image it there — I just need to “set new photos free” from my control panel and will be checking throughout the weekend to do so.
    • (3) Terms of Use apply.
    • (4) If you wanna continue to work on improving your photo skills, check out Kate’s tips on taking great room shots.

[ngg_uploader id = 186]

To see the slide show, click on the thumbnail, it will enlarge, then use the arrows just below to move forward or back. You can start or stop the show from any slide.

Plus, here are some that don’t want to seem to upload. Sorry, the plugin is being funky, and I don’t know why…

Gavin says: My Mother’s 1964 Henredon sofa-plopped into the middle of my living room. Haven’t decided what to do with it yet.

1960′s Mid Century sectional sofa with original cushions. Would this be classified as Danish modern? I found this set about 7 years ago at a Salvation Army for $25. (Pam, I made sure I included our nice front door for your enjoyment.)

• Get our retrolicious free newsletter.

Comments

1. Caroline Ambrose says:

I love the pictures of the davenports. I inherited my beautiful original davenport (that lays down into a bed) from my Grandmother. My cousin thought i was nuts since it was in their basement and smelled musty. However, she didn’t realize I also picked up the blanket that was always on the back and then framed a picture of Grandma holding my cousin and I in her arms in 1967 sitting on the couch with the blanket. It hangs on the wall next to it now and every time I see it….well, let’s just call it magic. I then found a matching chair at an auction and picked it up for $10. However, it is getting time to actually upholster both pieces and I want to use similar fabric however can’t find any. Any suggestions?

2. P. Crump says:

The sofa image 65 on your page: it’s blue and looks like it is on a front porch. I have a gold one, a gold chair/ottoman to match and a black chair/ottoman as well. Do you know the brand or year? I was given the furniture from the original owner,

Thank You.

3. Nelia Rivers says:

I submitted a picture with a 1950′s nubby green sofa and don’t see it. Will someone get back to me and let me know if it uploaded?
      the handle was looking for manufacturer/designer

• pam kueber says:

I didn’t realize that uploader was still on. I just went in, and set numerous new photos free. You should be able to see it now. Thanks!

4. Nelia Rivers says:

Seeking the manufacturer/designer for the 1950′s sofa in picture #110 of #214. It is long, angular and a nubby green/ivory fabric with a light hanging in the corner. Does anyone recognize the sofa?

5. Andy P. says:

Just uploaded my all original, 1950 sectionals – in the family and covered in plastic since new! It seems every other Heywood Wakefield sofa I see is the same salmon-ish color, so I have to wonder if these are the same brand or what? I wasn’t able to find any logos anywhere on the incredibly sturdy metal/wood frames, but I did find the original shipping tag from South Chicago.

6. Jeannette B. says:

Pam–Can you please do a feature or have an ‘uploader’ of shadow boxes. I have been looking for a great mirrored one like some that are seen in the photos of the couches and living rooms. Up here in Canada, people don’t seem like they used them in home decor, but we hope to make a run down to the States looking for one….

Thanks!

7. I recently found a stamped vinyl sectional in black and gold just like Sarah C’s at a local antique store! Small world perhaps?