Vintage range with electric burners on two levels: Woddity

Here’s a mid century woddity (wonderful oddity) spotted by lauramoon and posted on the Forum: A drop in range with the electric burners on two tiers. I think this is quite a handy idea! For sale in Madison, Wisconsin $200. Update: Link disabled because this was on craigslist and then it was gone – item apparently sold.

Comments

1. Patrick Coffey says

That is a circa 1965 WEstinghouse Terrace Electric Range…I have a brochure that shows that model…if you ask me it is a pretty clever idea….PAT

• Amanda says

Hi,
      I hope you see this somehow, but do you have what the model is? We have this stove at my house and the timer has finally completely died, and the buzzer won’t stop, the metal plate has lost all of its markings, so we can’t figure out the serial. Thanks.

2. Kim says

I currently use the same stove!! Except mine is a lovely copper/brown color!

It still works fairly well (however, when using the oven, I have to put the edge of potholder under the oven dial to keep it from slowly spinning itself up to 500-degrees!). It is the original stove from when our house was built in 1964. The previous homeowner was a very short German lady who was very sad to leave her terraced stove behind!

• Amanda says

We have the same stove! Same color as yours, are you able to read the model number on yours? It’s too worn off, and the timer died, so we’re trying to fix it. Thanks

• Lana says

I just moved into an apartment with this exact stove in it, except I can’t figure out how to work it! I try turning the oven on, but the left burner turns on, and none of the dials seem to go to the parts they’re labeled as. If you, or anyone else, can help me it would be greatly appreciated.

Lana, you should get with a properly licensed professional to troubleshoot and fix this issue! With old appliances like this, readers have had some success working with appliance companies that have been in business a while – that’s one thought. Good luck. Be Safe!

3. Bruce Malott says

My mom’s home was built in 1964 and when they first moved in was equipped with one of these in yellow. She since has moved on to other ranges but missed her terrrace top alot. I am searching for one even if it is to put in her basement. Is it still for sale?

Karen, I updated the post in underscore that this is an old post from when this item was available on craigslist. Gone. If you’re searching for stuff, please head over to the Forum. http://retrorenovation.com/forums . No buying/selling here on the main blog or it would be chaos. Good luck!

4. hannah says

I missed this!!?? Ok, this would be the dream stove. It’s uniqueness makes it soooooo desirable! Not only that, but even though I’ve not had experience with this stove, I’d think it would be a true cooks dream. We are ALL about cooking, here at “The Ranch”. The design of this stove just seems to make sense, though I can’t pinpoint why!

Just in case the Retro Gods smile on me someday, I’m writing the maker down on a Post-it, that I hope I don’t lose track of. 😀

5. Mark says

Actually my mother purchased this range in 1968 in Avocado along with other Westinghouse Kitchen appliances, the ‘Continental’ french door bottom freezer refrigerator and her first dishwasher. The range was called the ‘terrace top’ range with ‘no turn – speed broiling’, it had two broiling elements with the rack in between. In fact although it was replaced with a new Hotpoint range in the early 90’s the range sits covered in the back of her garage. It still works, at least it did when we took it out and was replaced to have all white appliances with a kitchen refresh.

6. Joe M says

I have this exact stove model number KT635L. The oven element finally went last night and my wife is thrilled to get a new stove. Any suggestions on where I should try and sell or for how much. All four top burners work, the oven element just needs a little TLC.

7. Cristin says

I have this same stove. Same color. Love it. I picked up a couple of burners , the broiler and bake element just in case. And now it seems the wiring for the oven,but not the stovetop went. Anxiously trying to find someone to help me fix it. Not ready to part with it!

I have this range in a nice green color that matches my counters etc. I think its original to the house. I had to replace it today because I couldn’t find parts but I’m keeping it in hopes that I can find someone who wants it and is able to find the parts it needs. Really, it just needs one of the oven heating things. I really am sad to see it go.