TGIF from KY: What are you doing this weekend?

vintage day of the week dish towelYou know how I mentioned yesterday that I have been in Kentucky for the past two weeks visiting with family and helping with some renovations to my Mom’s house? Well, I’ve now been here 17 days, and I am barely holding my blog together, what with all the to and all the fro. For sure, I am collecting lots of stories — but quiet time with computer is way harder to come by. For example, I have a whole little story to tell about vintage Day of the Week dish towels — a wonderful story — with lots of delightful images, and resources, and memories from Grandma and Aunt Mary Anne and Aunt Tootie, too. But it’s super late (as I write this), and I just had a Dairy Queen, and I am totally absolutely pooped. So for today’s blog post it will just have to be: TGIF.

This weekend I am doing a painting project for Mom’s house and going to see a movie with Dad. How about you?

Comments

1. MCM is grand says

I am going to be purchasing the tub and shower hardware for our 1955 bathroom. Thanks to this blog, I know just what I want and where to get it! And, I will be taking “before and after” photos of the pink and blue bath to share with everyone later…Also, I try to visit open houses each weekend, to see homes with our floorplan, scouting original materials in danger of being “renovated” by new owners…

Pam,
    Love the pic of the towels. I have not had a DQ in years, my dad use to take us and my favorite was the vanilla dipped in butterscotch.

Have a great time with your dad.

Susan

3. 75Heather says

If my kids (and weather) cooperate and actually let me get some stuff done, I’m going to try to build some herb & veggie beds, and *hopefully* some compost bins… Of course, I’ve been saying I was going to do this for years and have yet to actually accomplish it. 😉

4. cinnabar says

Going to an auction at the Antique Mall that has closed in town. Got lots of goodies already, but the 3rd floor items of the depot will be auctioned. Scored on the 1945 Westinghouse stand roaster a few weeks ago. I am sad that the place will be gone.

5. Marsha says

Hitting the Franklin Farmer’s Market first. The folks I get my CSA box from have fresh strawberries available, so I think I need to get there early. Hit the antique store at The Factory next, just to see what they have. They know me well there, since I traditionally skim the best of their hats and usually pick up at least one pretty while I’m there. I can always use a new compact or brooch!

Then it’s home for deep cleaning and maybe a project or two. Since I’ll be renewing my lease, I decided I should paint the bathroom. So… I have pink, gold, and green paint chips to contemplate 🙂

6. Jkaye says

Am I the first one to mention taxes? We have to finish ours up. Then we’ll spend time with family members who are coming to town to visit husband’s mother, who now is in a nursing home (suffering from dementia and other issues, as others mentioned earlier). Also plan to spend some time packing up some boxes as we actually prepare to get our house on the market. Yes, after four years of listening to me whine about how I don’t like this house, fellow readers can feel relief that we finally are getting around to putting it on the market! Pam, hope the sun is shining bright as you work on your Mom’s Kentucky home.

7. Shelly in Phoenix says

Re: the day-of-the-week embroidered dish towels…did anyone else have a set of day-of-the-week (ahem) panties? I ADORED the ones I had when I was in second grade! Really, quite practical (and logical). Ha ha!

8. Judy says

I read some time ago, about the reason they had ironing day on a certain day and wash day on a certain day, and I cant find it again.
    But I do remember something about that ironing day was because of the electric grid. They ironed on I think Wednesday, because the electric company would add more juice to the grid for that purpose, usually they didnt’ have alot of electricity going during the day, because the men were at work, in the evening they turned up the juice to the grid all but that one day, so women could iron. Does anyone know where I can find that info at?

I’m sitting with Aunt Mary Anne, and I quote, “Any woman living KNOWS Monday is wash day. Don’t include men, because they don’t know anything about what women do.” Electric grid? “Who had electricity?” Tuesday is ironing day, because that is the day after wash day.