Video tour of The Miller House in Columbus, Indiana

alexander girard interiors at the miller houseVisit-an-historic-house2.2The next time I visit my family in Kentucky, I am scooting over to The Miller House — a mid century modernist masterpiece — built in 1953 and located in Columbus, Indiana, about an hour from Louisville. The Miller House was just acquired by the Indianapolis Museum of Art last year. And, this year is the first it’s been open for tours. In fact, tours started just 10 days ago, and today (May 20) there is a daylong symposium about the house at the IMA in Indianapolis. According to the Museum, what makes this house exceptional is that it was a collaboration of three great designers: (1) Eero Saarinen [padre of the tulip chair] was the architect… (2) Alexander Girard did the interior design… and (3) Dan Kiley was responsible for the gardens. To me, the big draw, is: The Girard interiors. I want to see all those technicolor textiles!!!

Read all our stories about historic mid century houses you can visit here.

Comments

Fabulous! I have to go to Columbus, IN for business purposes later in the year and had this earmarked as a stop. Can’t wait! The IMA is surprisingly good so I’m sure they’ve done an amazing job with this property. They have a pretty nice midcentury modern furniture collection in Indianapolis as well as some exquisite textiles, so it may be worth a stop to the main museum depending on what’s going on in the rotating galleries. The Lilly House on the main museum property has certain rooms done in 40s-60s styles and though a bit stuffy can also be interesting again depending on what’s going on. The museum grounds are spectacular as are the heritage lines of plants they cultivate in the green house.

2. John Quirk says

Hi Pam,

What an amazing home. I had to smile when I saw the kitchen picture showing the sink faucet. When I bought my 1959 Atomic Ranch I had to replace my kitchen faucet. I went to Lowe’s and bought one that looks exactly like the one in the picture. I bought it because it reminded me of MCM with it’s smooth,clean lines!!!

John

3. Jana (Berniecat) says

Oh how I wish I still lived in Indianapolis! Columbus was just a quick scoot south and I would have been the first in line for tour tickets. I’m planning a trip back home this summer to Ft. Wayne, but I just may have to plan a couple of extra days for a road trip to Columbus!

I got to see the Miller house during a private tour last spring. It is absolutely amazing, easily at the top of my “top five” list! The original Girard furniture and textiles are amazing, as are the Saarinen pieces, and the original kitchen is killer. The house, in combination with the landscaping is brilliant. As an extra bonus, Columbus is a treasure trove of architecture by many modernist masters. Truly a destination city that should be on everyones list of architectural road trips.

5. Ilze Kuhlman says

Growing up in Columbus the Millers were always an exotic & mysterious family. I remember riding our bikes through the neighborhood and peeking down the side drive way never daring to step foot onto it, but being so fascinated by the house. There’s a Henry Moore sculpture in the front yard! Have been wanting to see the inside for so many years. I just might have to plan a trip home this year!

This is such a killer house. I’m ready to visit the midwest (and that’s saying something) just to be able to tour this amazing site. It’s a perfect synthesis of my very favorite things: architecture, interiors and landscape. Triple whammy!

7. Cindy says

The floor caught my eye, too. Is it tile or sheet linoleum or what? Looks like I need to visit the midwest, too. thanks, Pam.

8. Elizabeth Mary says

CBS Sunday Morning, is on TV right now, and the first piece in today’s program on “design” was about Columbus Indiana and all the buildings there designed by famous architects. I did not realize that it was spear headed by J. Irwin Miller. So, not only did he build himself this fabulous house but he brought amazing design to his home town. They said on the program that there was a movement to have him be President. Sounds like it was a good idea to me. Columbus must be truly amazing and I want to see it!!!!!!!!

9. Sandi Clothier says

the Miller House is truly wonderful, I attended the symposium but haven’t been able to make it to the Miller House for this reason, tickets for tours go quickly. So, when you are planning a trip, make this part of your do ahead agenda. The tours are 20.00 for a general tour,and no photos can be taken, although I’m sure there are many postcards, books, etc, available for sale. The tours are generally done twice a day, once in the morning and once in the afternoon, and tickets can be purchased through the IMA (Indianapolis Museum of Art).