Build your own Murphy bed

build your own murphy bed

Perhaps the only thing more retro than a Murphy bed is buying plans to build one from a company that’s been selling DIY project plans since 1948. Reader Shane aka Trouble turned me onto U-Bild — which has been in business selling full-size, traceable plans to DIY woodworkers since the hey- was connected to the -day. Now that we’re in a New Golden Age of DIY, it’s time to take another look at U-Bild’s archive. I might give these hideaway bed plans a try myself, if I can steel myself for another project. We could build a Murphy bed along the long wall in my husband’s office, and sell the twin beds (which are set against the walls as daybeds, with bolsters) on craigslist. I also want to do more DIY on the blog — and maybe I could entice my dad to come help. We’ll see. Link: Build your own Murphy bed with plans from U-Bild.

Comments

1. Nancy says

The phenomenal DIY blogger Ana White (ana-white.com) has created a Murphy bed plan as well as lots of other woodworking projects that would be easily adaptable to MCM homes. Check out her free plans for tons of projects built by her and her readers.
    I lust after so many of her plans… just have to find the time to get them done!

This is going to help a lot of people out! In fact, we just bought a murphy bed last week after saving up for years. They’re hard to come by in some towns! I’m going to pretend like I don’t know how much money can be saved by these plans. : )

3. tulsatammy says

There was a murphy bed in the den of the house that I lived in from 1976-1983. It was a 1959 ranch that was a general contractor’s personal home from the time it was built until my parents bought it.

4. Wendy says

Murhy beds must be the new thing–we’re planning to install one to create an exercise space in my tiny, tiny house.

5. BarbH says

There were a number of twin murphy beds at Second Use in Seattle a couple of weeks ago (I checked and they are gone now). They were from a fire station. BTW Second Use is a GREAT resource.

URL: http://www.seconduse.com/

A murphy bed may be a good solution for small mid century rooms. It depends, I guess, on the proportions of your rooms and how much space the murphy bed apparatus uses.

6. Trouble says

For anyone interested in home projects, make sure you look at that site. It’s not JUST this Murphy Bed. I have plans for a cupola on the garage, and a shed for my yard tools – both period correct pland from the mid ’50s.
    How do I know? Because I have an original catalog from U-Bild from that time that Dad kept, and the plans are the same for these items, then and now.

In fact, the shed I will be building has none other than a young Bob Barker posing with it!

To me, if I can’t get something original, the next best thing is to build it, esp with period correct plans!

7. Shelley says

Thanks!!! My husband has been talking about a Murphy bed for the guestroom in our new house. Now I can have a craft room…and room for guests. LOVE it!

8. Becky P S says

We had a beautiful free standing Murphy Bed long ago. I always loved the notion. So very cool that this company still exists with original plans!!!

9. Doug S. says

Google books has mid century Popular Mechanics magazines which are full of home projects and nifty repair tips.
    Rockler carries the counter balances and other hardware. They have an Amazon storefront.

10. chris(therescued) says

A great and inexpensive book on DIY mid century furniture/wall units/cabinets is “Anatomy of Contemporary Furniture” by John G. Shea. The beginning of the book shows popular commercial furniture examples than leads into many easy DIY designs for furniture (a lot of modular pieces). This book is mostly plans (no step-by-step instructions), but great if you’re a little handy.

I see on Amazon for as low as $0.70+$3.99 shipping. A great book for the price!