Two sources for Danish modern furniture legs

mid-century-modern-furniture-legs

Here is a new product that should be of interest to Do-It-Yourselfers looking to update a vintage sofa or maybe to create a midcentury styled stand for the big flat screen TV: Mid century Danish modern style furniture legs or “bun feet.” These have just been introduced by Classic Designs by Matthew Burak. They are made in the U.S.A. — available in eight species of wood — with a starting price of $6.50. You can also order taller sizes to your specification.

Interestingly, I could not find any other modern wood furniture legs like this when I searched online. Two years ago, I did this story about  modern furniture legs available at Lowe’s. But, I do not see these on their website, and I know nothing about their origins.

You’ll also need the metal brackets to attach the legs. One style let’s you attach them “straight.” There is an alternative design, to attach them “angled.”

I’m kind of surprised these are not more widely marketed. Good on you, Matthew Burak for jumping on this niche for supplies to make mid century modern furniture. <– Link to his site.

Waddell legs on Amazon. You’ll have to peck around for sizes. Note the different, brassy foot.

Update:

Reader Jerry also has commented that Waddell Mfg has been making Round Legs like this for decades — he found them on Amazon.  Disclosure: I added the code so if you buy from Amazon I get a little spiff — helps pay the blog bills!

Finally, as another alternative idea for DIYers looking for an even  possibly cheaper solution: Watch for inexpensive pieces of furniture that include authentic modern feet designed and manufactured back in the day, but which are otherwise not worth keeping or using immediately. Salvage the vintage feet for another use. In fact, there looks to be a pretty good little market on ebay for such pieces.

Comments

Woohoo! Thanks for the great idea! I have a 60s avocado stripe sofa and loveseat that are just a skoche too low for these old bones. I have been looking for some legs to raise them up 3″. These look perfect! We should be able to get just the right length, and cherry will match the paneling in the house.

Thanks, Jerry! I looked at Waddell’s website — and these were not there. To be sure, an even less expensive solution. I already have received an email from a reader who is a professional woodworker and who has just used the Burrak legs — I will ask him what he thinks of the difference.

2. Maryanna says

Four Burak 4″ legs and hardware will be about $50, so I’m also curious about the difference in quality. Obviously, the Waddell prices on Amazon are amazing, but I wonder if that just means it’s too good to be true? The only review doesn’t provide enough info to be useful.
    Thanks, Pam, for this info, as it has opened up a whole new set of options for my grandma’s old bookcase! 🙂

• Jerry says

It depends on what kind of wood your looking for, Oak,Pine,Alder.
      The legs at the Amazon site is pine legs, these were used on most all of the stuff from the 50’s and 60’s. They are unfinished, meaning you would have to paint or stain them yourself but 50 bucks for 4 legs is a bit much, if you ask me. Somebody’s making some big smack O’ la’s off those legs. 🙂

You know, running a business costs money…. I am not sure where all those Waddell legs come from, either; I will ask. Lots of readers are really trying hard to buy American when possible these days. A reader who is a professional woodworker already has sent me a photo of project using the Burak legs. I will feature it tomorrow (Monday) — and also ask him to weigh in on the quality of the Waddells vs. the Buraks.

3. Lorna says

I have found a lot of these types of legs at estate sales. My boyfriend teases me that we have boxes full of legs with nothing to put them on, but I know that if I need them, I have them. I’ve probably spent less than $5 for probably 12 or more of them!

Holy Crap! I have been looking for legs like this for years! I have a vintage settee that sits too far down on the ground and i want to replace the legs! I can’t wait to order these and finish that project!

5. gabby says

This is a great topic! Does anyone remember when there was a leg center in ye olde neighborhood hardware store? Used to be back by the dowels and screen door stuff. If one can find a genuine mom and pop old style hardware store, these are sometimes still around.

I used to manage a furniture store lo many years ago. You might not want to ask for “Bun Feet” or you will wade through a lot of stuff you don’t want. Generally, bun feet indicate a traditional, shorter kind of leg. Often shaped like a dinner roll, but the term has gotten extended a bit. This is a classic example.
    Perhaps asking for a cone leg will get you closer to what you want.
    And of course, the glorious “hairpin leg” is a fave of mine: http://www.ianmaclean.com/

But yes, I have been known to buy legs and off pieces just to get them. Wasn’t a mid century piece, but I made an amazing dresser once by attaching some queen anne style feet to an old steamer trunk I found on the street. It was pretty neat.

Slightly off topic, but one of the things we look for is old stock of the metal sheets once available for screens, cabinet fronts, etc. We got some at an estate sale once. Look what hubby Slim made to accent a clock: http://www.flickr.com/photos/93018283@N00/2491900400/in/set-72157605072678202

If anyone knows a good place for that stuff, I’m all ears!

6. Chrisdy says

Ace Hardware stores sometimes sell the Waddell legs in many sizes. (Each Ace Hardware store is owned independently.) The legs are labeled as maple or mixed hardwood. I’ve bought a few and they seem to be of decent quality. You can also saw off the bottom “foot” where the metal cap is for a more Danish look.

• Auzie says

Hi, I’d like to use the Waddell legs for this desk I’m building but for the life of me, I can’t figure out how to cut those brass bottoms off of them without an elaborate woodworking jig. Does anyone know how to cut those Waddell legs for a custom size? I just don’t like the cheap brass caps in the bottom but overall, they look pretty good.

I grew up with a number of pieces that had legs more like the Waddell leg than the Burak leg, most purchased around the time of my parents’ 1955 wedding. The “different, brassy foot” was ubiquitous in our house. I’ve purchased them at Lowe’s in the store, but they’ve only had very short (6″) or very long (28″) – at least in the stores around me. I’ve found them before online at Ace Hardware, too. But the last few I have ordered I got through Amazon. I have a really nice bookcase (that was one of those pieces from my parents from the mid-1950s) that had been stored in the attic and somehow, one of the legs is still hiding up there. So I was able to order a Waddell leg that will work. It’s exactly the right length. The taper is slightly narrower than the originals, so if I put it at the back of the case, it should be fine. And it’s made of maple. Seems to be quite good quality. Now, if I was just able to replace the sliding glass doors with the really cool knobs that used to be on the front of the bookcase…until my brother and I were wrestling and knocked a chair into it, shattering the glass completely (boy, was Mom mad!).

8. Cheryl says

Uncle Bob’s Workshop sells custom made tapered furniture legs made as replacement legs for Ikea’s Karlstad sofa for $30 for four legs. Different finishes are available. I’ve seen some photos of them in use on this particular sofa and they turn the Karlstad into a really nice looking piece of furniture.

http://img0.etsystatic.com/il_fullxfull.214974780.jpg or unclebobsworkshop.com

9. Sarah Potts says

I used the waddel legs and plates to make a bench. The problem is that the plates failed after a year of very light use. The legs are great but the plates to attach them don’t hold up.

10. Nicholas says

I live in the UK and I am finding it very difficult to find round tapered wood legs like this. Can anyone help?

If you click on any of our affiliate links to Amazon and buy via Amazon we get a spiff. But if you order directly via Waddell, no. Do whatever makes sense for you!